Are You Happy Where You Are In Your Development As An Artist?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Are You Happy Where You Are In Your Development As An Artist?

Threaded View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Are You Happy Where You Are In Your Development As An Artist?

Background - My name is Jonathan Barker and I'm a 4th year student at Sheridan College. I take Illustration - majoring in Scientific and Technical.

I'm finishing school (I'm Done In April 2013) and i am in a serious reflective phase now.

What have you learned in your artistic path? Are you far enough along as you would hope to be at this point in your life? What is the next step for you?

If i were to answer those questions:

I have learned plenty... I think one of the biggest things i have learned is to kill my inner critic. That's not to say i killed my critical EYE. I still know if something looks good or bad... close or far from my intentions... i just killed that voice in my head that said things like "You'll never be as good as so and so" and "Who are you kidding? You can't make good art!" (PRO TIP: If you have this voice, one of the best ways to kill it is to write it down. Once you see just how mean it is you can see it for what it is - A lie. This is a tool described in the book "The Artists Way" which i highly recommend for all artists. Other tools to help with inner critics can be found in the field of Cognitive Behavioural Therapy.)

Am i far as i wanted to be at this point in my life? Yes and no. I feel like I am in a parallel universe where the "Real me" studied art right out of highschool and is working at a AAA game studio or has a few books out. I think it's a case of "Grass is greener on the other side" since if i hadn't gone to school when i was more mature i would never have made it though.

What is the next step? Well, i'd like to focus on my character designs... i can do hard surface pretty well... i picked up a few books on anatomy and character design today... so i'll review them on an on going basis. I have lost the love of "Painty" digital painting but i think i could get into digital sketching.

Anyways... i guess i am just hoping someone out here will know what it's like to be me right now and can give me advice. I think that's what this place is all about.

Thanks for reading.

"Good art is just the basics done really well over and over again." - Jonathan Barker

Watch out for the dream killers. They'll tell you to quit, they'll say you'll never make it, they'll say you're crazy, they'll say they have your best interests at heart... And if you listen to them they're right.

Website
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonny Dark For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.