Thanks

Laptop: What's comparable to a Powerbook?

Hey everyone.

I've been really struggling with the fact that I really want a laptop. My PC is great. It does everything I need to do and it's pretty new (not even 6 months old). But I'm tired of being locked in my room when I want to work on ANYTHING. And since I do a lot of freelance graphic design I definately want out of here.

So my problem is that I really want a Powerbook. And I'd love to have a Mac but I can't justify the price tag. Not to mention I'd have to buy all new graphics software for it alone. At least if I had a PC top I'd be able to use all of my Adobe and Painter crap with it.

So here's the deal. I know the Powerbook is off the freakin' jive chain. I'd love one. But say I wanted a PC laptop instead. What's comparable? Give me links, specs, whatever! Just help me lust for something more economical. LoL It would help if it were cheaper too. The Powerbooks are just so freakin' nice all around. Their sleek and light. Dang. I'm hoping maybe someone else has seen something I haven't and could help me out a bit. I'm loving the 17 inch display but I'd settle for the 15. But they have to be widescreen. That's just a feature I can't live without.

And those of you who do have Powerbooks, what are your specs? Did you need that fat 128 MB video card? As an artist what do I need in a laptop for it to do what I need it to.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Ryan

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts

ive had multiple laptops...goboxx is the apple eater

I have had multiple pc laptops...including the rather expensive and loaded dell I have now. the only pc laptop I have seen which really runs with the powerbook ...rather devours the powerbook is the GoBoxx www.boxxtechnologies.com it has it all...two hard drives...big fans...high res 17 inch monitor (unlike the pixelated apples the boxx has an upgrade in resolution) 256 meg video card...the works...even two gigs of ram. I am going to send this dell back to the warrantee shop and get it all fixed and then Im putting it on ebay. I want that boxx. bad.

they mentioned doing some sort of ca discount at one point for those machines. I will give them a call and see what they can do.

J

Thanks
    Ouch, Jason now that's a freakin' pricetag! LoL Let me know how much they decide they can hack off. I didn't need a monster of a machine either. Just something full capable of running all the CS stuff. Thanks for the reply.

I made my way over to the Apple store and let my lusting continue. Even if I do get a Powerbook I'm not so sure I'll go with the 17 inch. I love the idea of having all the freakin' space but DANG that thing is big. Do you guys think the 15 would be big enough for graphic design stuff? It's not all that much more for the 17 (of course the thing would have to be loaded ) I was just concerned with the viewable.

And speaking of the 17 inch screen. The thing isn't that heavy for a big computer. The PCs on the other hand, I've yet to get my hands on anything that comes close to the Powerbooks in terms of weight and overall feel. They feel so freakin' nice.

Eh, the more I talk about it the more I wanna just break down and get it. And I'm trying to save for an engagment ring.... LoL Man, maybe trim a bit on the ring and get the pimpin' laptop. LoL

Thanks for letting me vent once again. Any help would be great.

Ryan