SCAD - Witch program to take? Is it worth it?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

SCAD - Witch program to take? Is it worth it?

So... I'm a foreigner and I intend to go to USA to study and play tennis and SCAD is one of my best option. Actually, I had only two offers, SCAD and Maryville University, and Maryville doesn't look too much of what I was looking for - there is a graphic design program there, witch my parents would consider a more... 'solid' choice, but that's not exactly what I was looking for.

Annyway, considering the scholarship I got, SCAD would cost me about 14k a semester, Maryville would be about half of it. It's somewhat expensive, but I could pay. It's just that I've been hearing some extreme opinions about it - some say it was great, some say it was terrible, that it's not even recognized...

So, anyone went there/ know something about it? And about the program, I was thinkig about Interactive Design and Game Development (or maybe Animation) but it looked too short (180 hours for the BFA and 360 for the BA - also, what is the difference between then, apart from the time it takes to finish?). Is it really solid as they make it look like?

Sorry if I sound somewhat lost... I kinda am xD

Last edited by isakimiisa; November 13th, 2012 at 09:54 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SCAD animation student checking in.

First off, decide what you want your major to be. DONT do graphic design. The major is a joke. If SCAD is your only art school option, I would advise either sequential art, animation, visual effects, or game design. These are the programs that give scad a good reputation, the other programs drag it down in my opinion.

Secondly, SCAD is expensive, dont go there if you dont know what you want. If you must get a degree, its a great place to be, but there are tons of cheaper ways to get an equivilant eduction (non-degree programs like animation mentor, gnoman, figure drawing academies, etc.)

Lastly, if your skills are terrible, or your work ethic is terrible, you wont get much from the school. Teachers dont care about the kids that suck, they just give them a b- and send em on their way. Also the school is light on fundementals, the foundation year is too easy because its structured for all majors(which can include stuff like furniture design, or even equestian). If your in a drawing major, be sure to teach yourself how to draw on you own time. The benefits are being around so many other students, and good professors that will possibly mentor you. Most of the information at any art school can be found on the internet for free.

Really the downside to scad is the cost, so many cheaper ways to get the same stuff. Im not even sure im going to finish my degree, might just move to LA, get advanced placement on animation mentor, and buy classes for like 1k a pop in local academies that i like. So dont piss your money away going to scad until your exactly sure what you want from the school.

If SCAD was half the price, it would be an incredible school

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why do you think the Graphic Design major is a joke?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are looking for animation or game design, I'd say look at ringling. You'd have to get accepted there of course, but If your price range is in the 14k per semester, you may like what they have, as both their Game Art and Design and Animation Programs have really impressive reputations, but it's main downside is it's 16K a semester tuition cost.

I've never heard of Maryville, but I have heard good things of SCAD. I've also heard bad things about SCAD. Basically from what I've gathered, you really have to drive yourself in order to make SCAD worthwhile. I don't know much about SCAD other than what I've read on forums, but I'd imagine a Game Developement would be more focused on- well developing a game. this may be programing, creating game assets, lighting concepts, and other aspects that go into developing a game.
    I'd imagine Interactive Design would be based more towards mobile applications, and websites. More as it's name states, designing images, and buttons, and slides, that are interactive.
    But I am only guessing. I received an information booklet from SCAD about 3 years ago, and found they weren't to my liking after I saw that your portfolio is a bit of a second thought.
    After reading on their differences I've decided on going to Ringling, but that's a personal choice.

In any case, Make sure you check on what alumni have become, and what studios look at the school you want to go to. College is often about networking, and less about what you learn. Why do I say this? Art is really one of the few things that you can only get better at by doing it, and even the worse school can produce the best artists if they are driven enough, and the best school can produce the worst artists. As long as you are willing to go above and beyond what you "have" to do, you will get better, but a good school helps you get seen at the end.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.