Best thing to do?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Best thing to do?

So my ultimate goal is to become a concept artist, and I currently have a lot of free time to practice art and although I have a general idea of the things I need to do to learn and get better at art, there is so much! So I am wondering after a year and a halfish of drawing on and off and mainly drawing anime and then finally discovering concept art. what is the best thing to learn first? should I dedicate my time to still life drawing? should I make studies all day long? etc.

At the moment I am forever in question if there is something else is could be drawing to help me get better faster, because realistically I am turning 18 in a few months and I need to be thinking about my future so naturally, how long it's going to take me to reach a professional level at which I might be able to earn an income, is always going to be at the back of my mind.

Yeah, so, what should I dedicate my time to?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1)The basics
    2)Yes
    3)yes
    4)Drawing from life.

http://doodlealley.com/ <-These essays will help.

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think learning perspective and doing Value Exercises...learning basic forms shapes... drawing frome life and doing still life drawing....learing composition.....all this stuff is the most important to learn i think...i'm just learning this stuff my self...how and where i get all this info to studdy all this stuff i'm still looking into it lol.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I think what you should dedicate your time to is researching and doing homework on the various careers for visual artists. Understand the relationships between the various disciplines and careers...find out who the top people are in their fields...the ones who you aspire to fllow...find out how they got their...understand what their paths had in common and how they differ, etc.

The thing that all professional artists and designers have in common is the ability to clearly communicate visually. That ability, visual communication, is rooted in the fundamental principles of drawing and design...so study those.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, yeah thanks that's some really useful advice, I do follow a few artists including Feng Zhu so I watch all of his videos on youtube, and he has some really useful videos, I even looked into going to his school, but that is just sort of, unreachable for me at the moment with it being in Singapore and the money I would need and obviously getting a lot better at art. I guess one day I hope to go to an art school. Anyway, yeah thanks this is really useful stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On top of that, keep a sketchbook to draw from life...

Grinnikend door het leven...

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetorchid View Post
    hey, yeah thanks that's some really useful advice, I do follow a few artists including Feng Zhu so I watch all of his videos on youtube, and he has some really useful videos, I even looked into going to his school, but that is just sort of, unreachable for me at the moment with it being in Singapore and the money I would need and obviously getting a lot better at art. I guess one day I hope to go to an art school. Anyway, yeah thanks this is really useful stuff.
    Cool - well, what about going to the school HE went to? Art Center in Pasadena...studied industrial design...or you could study industrial design at any good school and just run with it. Maybe augment your education and development with an occasional on-line class or workshop more specifically tailored to concept art. Basically my suggestion is to be creative and a good problem solver about your education and path. If there is resistance or lack of support from family then do your homework and show them examples of successful people in the field and career you are interested in pursuing.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Cool - well, what about going to the school HE went to? Art Center in Pasadena...studied industrial design...or you could study industrial design at any good school and just run with it. Maybe augment your education and development with an occasional on-line class or workshop more specifically tailored to concept art. Basically my suggestion is to be creative and a good problem solver about your education and path. If there is resistance or lack of support from family then do your homework and show them examples of successful people in the field and career you are interested in pursuing.
    Hey, thanks again, I am very grateful for you your input I can't express how useful it has been. I guess I will gear my education to getting into an art school for now, I'm sure I need to be so much better than I am to get into one, and for the moment I have no income at all so I have no idea where I would get the money to go to one from and from what I know I will need to go abroad, there doesn't seem to be any sort of industrial design or any schools geared towards concept design in the UK. Do you have any suggestions of things to find out more about art schools? I don't really know much about them at all.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.