need a critic :)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: need a critic :)

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking need a critic :)

i have done this without ref, i dont have any problem with references just to exercise my mind.Name:  conceptart-Recovered.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  473.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For a painting which was created without references it's not bad, especially the clouds.

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Artimatum For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed! It does look good.
    A couple of things tho: it's really, really green. This can be caused by the lack of references. If you look at a photo of a mountain closely, you can see that it's not just green grass, green trees, gray rocks. There's a whole spectrum of colours in there. It depends on the type of mountain of course (logically enough snowy ones will have a lot more white in there, while ones with lots of trees logically are very green) but there's also browns, yellows, and lots and lots of shades of green of different saturations that mix with every other colour.
    I think working on this would make the picture pop a lot more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

7. The Following User Says Thank You to self-epidemic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravatta View Post
    Agreed! It does look good.
    A couple of things tho: it's really, really green. This can be caused by the lack of references. If you look at a photo of a mountain closely, you can see that it's not just green grass, green trees, gray rocks. There's a whole spectrum of colours in there. It depends on the type of mountain of course (logically enough snowy ones will have a lot more white in there, while ones with lots of trees logically are very green) but there's also browns, yellows, and lots and lots of shades of green of different saturations that mix with every other colour.
    I think working on this would make the picture pop a lot more.
    thanks i will follow your advice! and use more shades of green, yellow and so on

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Were the clouds actually painted? I can't see the correlation between that and the rocks, they're two different standards. Also why is it so bright green, why are there no patches of shadow and light, it looks flat and unrealistic, it makes very little sense and then the clouds look like a photo. Not even in a complimentary way, as in you've googled clouds, went hm thats okay, its a bright stock image and pasted it on.

Its lacking a lot of dynamics. Making this piece boring and flat.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to self-epidemic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by self-epidemic View Post
    Were the clouds actually painted? I can't see the correlation between that and the rocks, they're two different standards. Also why is it so bright green, why are there no patches of shadow and light, it looks flat and unrealistic, it makes very little sense and then the clouds look like a photo. Not even in a complimentary way, as in you've googled clouds, went hm thats okay, its a bright stock image and pasted it on.

Its lacking a lot of dynamics. Making this piece boring and flat.
    i never said i painted the sky... because it was to late and we all need to sleep so i take a shortcut, thanks for your crit i will try to improve it .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OP,please explain why your using a photograph of clouds in the place of a drawing,its hardly exercising your mind.

Formerly Ultimatum.

A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so."
    -Douglas Adams

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Artimatum View Post
    OP,please explain why your using a photograph of clouds in the place of a drawing,its hardly exercising your mind.
    because it was to late and i was about to sleep so to take a shortcut and i use a photo, there are nothing wrong with use a photo... i think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny24 View Post
    because it was to late and i was about to sleep so to take a shortcut and i use a photo, there are nothing wrong with use a photo... i think.
    Well its not exactly getting any practise. Stop being lazy. Either draw when you aren't tired, don't finish the picture till you've looked at it afterwards or just stop using images. Its annoying. While you may have never said you didn't use a picture, you never said you did. How are we supposed to help if you aren't going to clarify?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by self-epidemic View Post
    Well its not exactly getting any practise. Stop being lazy. Either draw when you aren't tired, don't finish the picture till you've looked at it afterwards or just stop using images. Its annoying. While you may have never said you didn't use a picture, you never said you did. How are we supposed to help if you aren't going to clarify?
    it was 4 am and i just want to see it with a sky... and go sleep lol. but yeh i agree with you... i will paint the sky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    look at reference material of real mountains... the dont work like that. one way to get a starting point on them is used in video games for generic landscape generation...different levels (like sand > trees > grass > rock> snow) blending into one another, mixed with, its always rock where slopes are beyond 30 (or whatever depending on the materials). right now its spikes covered in something like green fur. everything is so evenly distributed aswell, nature is not like that.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

17. The Following User Says Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, DO paint the sky. Or at least mention that you used a photo in the background.

Anyways, the entire image strikes me as much too crisp. That's ok for the center of the image where sun hits the mountain, since that will be the focus of the pic. But the areas to the side, that lie in the shadows, are definitely too sharp and it hogs the attention. I'd do a quick paint over and use a slightly softer brush for the cause.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.