WIP_ Creature Feature 1
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: WIP_ Creature Feature 1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP_ Creature Feature 1

A work in progress and painting practice.
    I'll be chipping away at this over the week and would love any and all critique. :)

Name:  bun bun_wip2.jpg
Views: 213
Size:  57.5 KB

Last edited by Szofi.M; November 12th, 2012 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Gave it a tweak and added more fur detail.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    What's the white thing? It looks like it's supposed to be bone but its drawn like it's whipped cream or tiny white stones inserted into the critter's back (same with the skull, it looks remotely like a skull but doesn't have much to do with real skulls in terms of structure). The white things don't seem to connect at all with the hairy parts, there's no insertion points where the two connect, both have different light sources, the hairy ears don't overlap the white "skull" though from the angle of the ears I would say they should (and neither do any of the long hairs in the back) etc etc...
    Also where's your lightsource in this image?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The fur also looks very flat, especially on the body. Since you used the same shading colour and the same highlight colour, this makes the whole body seem flat, and the large blank spaces on the body don't help. I suggest choosing a light source and working on the figure to give it a shape. Shadows tend to curve around objects, and some areas would naturally be a lot darker (for example, the underbelly)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the idea, and the graphics about it is quite nice, kind of reminds me of cubone! As Tinybird says, make the bones look more consistent and boney, while I disagree with Ravatta, the style works, its graphic and I don't think you need to put a crazy amount of detail in the fur or add lighting or such, in fact I think it may even remove its style.

I would think about how the bones are working, is it coming out of the skin, or is it directly on top, if its directly on top, how/why does it work? A little research in spiders I think may help, if its coming out, a little more emphasis would explain to the viewer what is going on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right now I am just blocking in overall shape and color, so i haven't put thought into the light source just yet. I do agree that the bone still needs work to refine the structure and I do plan on adding the detail as I progressively work on this over the next few days.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chop chop then! I want to see it

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.