Worth buying a Wacom Intuos 4? Need some advice from owners
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Worth buying a Wacom Intuos 4? Need some advice from owners

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Worth buying a Wacom Intuos 4? Need some advice from owners

Hello, I've always been intrested in digital art and for the past few years I've been doodling around with a Wacom Bamboo Fun (Small I believe) and it's been a decent tablet.
    But the other day I found a shop which had the Wacom Intuos4 for about 350$, which I found to be a decent price since they are usually around 520-800$ here in Sweden.
    So I'm wondering, is the tablet worth buying or should I wait to get another one? I do have the money but I don't want to get disappointed with the product if I decide to buy it.
    After some quick googling I found out it apparently have a much more textured surface than the, bamboo which I've been drawing on and that the nibs would wear out way too quickly.
    So I'm wondering if this is really true? First off, I've heard the surface gets smoother with use and the nibs wear less, or that you could use a plastic sheet on it. But then does the plastic sheet affect the pressure sensitivity I wonder?
    Secondly, I'm not heavy on pencils in general, so I wonder if light strokes really wears them out as much as I've heard? Are they really that bad?
    And my last question, is the bamboo pencil compatible with the Intuos4? or can i use the Bamboo nibs in the Intuos pencil?

Overall, is it a good or at least decent tablet for a hobbyist, I'd like to get some feedback from owners/users of this tablet asap so I can decide whether i should order it or lay low.

Thanks,
    Eric

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, it's the Wacom Intuos4 Large!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ItsJinx View Post
    Hello, I've always been intrested in digital art and for the past few years I've been doodling around with a Wacom Bamboo Fun (Small I believe) and it's been a decent tablet.
    But the other day I found a shop which had the Wacom Intuos4 for about 350$, which I found to be a decent price since they are usually around 520-800$ here in Sweden.
    So I'm wondering, is the tablet worth buying or should I wait to get another one?
    Wacom Intuos4 tablets are fine!
    Intuos5 tablets have been released over the past year, but if you're not interested in touch features, they do not add much to their predecessors.
    Intuos5 tablets have also the disadvantage that the surface sheet on touch-enabled models cannot be user-replaced at the moment.

I do have the money but I don't want to get disappointed with the product if I decide to buy it.
    After some quick googling I found out it apparently have a much more textured surface than the, bamboo which I've been drawing on and that the nibs would wear out way too quickly.
    So I'm wondering if this is really true?
    Yes, it's true. I have an Intuos4 tablet.

First off, I've heard the surface gets smoother with use and the nibs wear less, or that you could use a plastic sheet on it. But then does the plastic sheet affect the pressure sensitivity I wonder?
    The surface does get smoother with use, but that will generally happen only where you draw the most (typically the center of the tablet) and that quickly becomes a major distraction/annoyance. So at some point you'll want to take the surface sheet out of your tablet and smooth it manually and thoroughly with fine grain sand paper. Once you make the surface almost mirror-polished (but not too much or your drawing hand will tend to stick on it, hampering movement on the tablet surface) nib consumption will be extremely low, but nib friction will also be definitely much lower than on the stock surface, so pen control will become harder. And alternative would be using an additional plastic sheet over the original surface sheet. That shouldn't affect pressure sensitivity, but that might affect pen location precision very slightly (nothing major, but the idea of possibly reduced precision isn't that attractive to me).

Secondly, I'm not heavy on pencils in general, so I wonder if light strokes really wears them out as much as I've heard? Are they really that bad?
    Nib consumption is that bad on a new tablet, to the point that it can make nibs assume a chiseled shape which can deep scratch the tablet's surface sheet. Even if you have a light touch, you will eventually find that nib consumption will be excessive.

And my last question, is the bamboo pencil compatible with the Intuos4? or can i use the Bamboo nibs in the Intuos pencil?
    Bamboo pencils are NOT compatible with the Intuos4. But Bamboo nibs are compatible with the Intuos4 pencil (and vice-versa).

Overall, is it a good or at least decent tablet for a hobbyist, I'd like to get some feedback from owners/users of this tablet asap so I can decide whether i should order it or lay low.
    It is a very good tablet for hobbyists. I would however personally recommend going to an Intuos only if you upgrade size though. I read you're going from a Bamboo small to an Intuos4 Large, so you will definitely feel a positive difference.
    Going from a Bamboo Medium to an Intuos4 Medium as I did isn't worth the price in my opinion.

Last edited by s12a; November 17th, 2012 at 06:00 AM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.