Christmas card
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Christmas card

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Christmas card

The past couple of years, I've done Zombie Santa for my Christmas card. This year, I thought I'd go with feral Santa. Just about finished, but I don't think I'm quite there yet. I know the tongue isn't working (not sure what I'm going to do with it, though). Anything else sore thumb?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the tongue all I can think of is making the "top" of the left (his left) side just a tiny bit smaller because I just get the feeling that the tongue is attached at a different angle than that head is pointed (nothing more than a few degrees tho). The only other things I notice might simply be a part of the "feral" image you're going for. His left eye almost feels bigger than the right and the hanging skin by the eye seems to be a lot more pushed into the eye as well. Other than that It is quite a nice picture, It really feels "off" and disturbing in a good way =P

4. The Following User Says Thank You to MechaMechanica For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that. I was obsessing about the tip of the tongue and not paying attention to the root.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the tongue also sticks a bit out imagewise because it is much more washed out than the rest, you have all these heavily saturated reds going on... Besides if santa just ate a mayor would'nt there be some blood on the tongue... at least a tint I should think. otherwise good render .

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    first thing: haha, I love this! So disturbing..

second: the only thing I thought of was the big chunk of blood straight under his chin and that there's no blood elsewhere in his beard. Though you said it's not finished, and I guess blood splatter is something you usually save for last

tesorone.deviantart.com
    tesorone.tumblr.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the concept, it made me think of terry pratchetts hogfather. However, personally my first impression of his facial expressinon was "he looks terrified". I think its the way his eyes and eyebrows read, he doesn't have the expression of someone angry or roaring, take away the fact that he has bloody tusks and that reads to me like a man screaming in terror of something. right now his expression is a bit disjointed, perhaps a more severe brow and less of a downwards "sad" slant of the eyelids?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah. There you go, tesorone. That was kind of what I was fishing for -- whether that white area bothered anybody. I was thinking maybe that bit was shielded by his lower lip or something -- but obviously I wanted it that way for maximum contrast between the red drop on his lip and the white of the beard. I'm nothin' without the cheap tricks. Well, it's gone to the printer now. Here's the final version of the tongue (I don't love it, but I can live with it):

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 3