Album cover
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Album cover

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Album cover

Hey everyone

I have been doodling on this piece for a while. It's a cover for an online album, in commission for a band (metal)
    The title of the album is called Black Monolith.

What they liked was whale skeletons and a water theme. I came up with the idea of this big scary whale shark looming out of the darkness, lit by a panicked scuba diver.

Name:  v4.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  158.9 KB

Work is still undergoing, but I'd like to ask for oppinions and thoughts. Thank you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,657 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm guessing you don't mean that's an actual whale shark but just bad wording...
    Overall, I have problems understanding what's going on with the diver, what's that thing sticking up from him? The jaws are in confusing and the teeth in wrong perspective/angle, it just looks like one jaw is a total stub and the other long and no matter how it's supposed to be it's not very clear from the first glance. Overall the skeleton looks kinda lacking in understanding of skeletal structures as it's hovering kinda between of "magical unearthly structure" and "actual skeleton". So whichever you want it to look like, I'd emphasize it a lot more (like if it's not a real skeleton but more like magical structure, or a golem or elemental something I'd make it even more artificial and if the opposite, really study real skeletons more because just adding rigid shark fins comes off bit silly).

Also the colours are still pretty drab. If this is supposed to be for an epic metal album that's named Black Monolith, putting more emphasis on the actual monolith (which I assume is the one in the middle) and punch up the values and colours and add more variation to them as now they are really monochrome and frankly bit boring if I had to see this in the midst of several other covers because I can barely separate the epic monster from the background. Even if it's deep under the sea, the frontground could have something that allows some interesting, like the diver having a lamp or black magics coming from the stone slab etc etc.

EDIT: And I have to admit that I find the old version to be much more threatening and striking: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...41#post3543141
    You get a feeling that the monster is coming towards him and the dude's gonna get it, when in the current one it looks like the monster is surprised of the diver and going like "eek". Even the angle of the mouth and teeth looks okay in the old one so I wonder what's with the new version.

Last edited by TinyBird; November 11th, 2012 at 07:57 AM.
    "I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Tinybird. Stern but fair.

I dind't mean an actual whale shark no. I'm not sure why I typed that. The diver in this version is still just a flat. He needs some work. As to the thing in his hand is a flare ( or could be some other light ) like in this old concept sketch:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    needs a little bit more contrast. The composition is striking and i think i bit more lights would really back it pop. It seems like you have 3 tones. If you add one or 2 you will be good. Good stuff.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to durhamsux For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the points TinyBird brought up. Iíve done a bit of a paintover to illustrate some of the problems I see with the anatomy of the fish. First I must point out that the skull is nothing like any shark or whale that Iíve ever seen. It resembles more of a T-rex in my opinion. Also, the full-body rib cage is ridiculous. Sharks have laughably small ribcages. Whale ribs are not full-body length either or nearly as thick as the ribs in this painting. I have no idea how your fish would even be able to move. Definitely get some reference for this.
    Anyway, I hope the paintover helps.

Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to David_a_ray For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldnt worry too much about how actual whale bones are made up, youre making a fantasy monster here, so I would just go with whatever looks badass. It's a METAL cover, go mental with it.

I would like to see some connection between the monolith and the monster, if that is what you're going for here. A glowing rune or something equally cool.

Also, some more scare effects, like something to show speed in the monster, like its on the attack.

"..now, to unleash screaming temporal doom.."

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Inkrabid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone. I decided to do a quick redraw of the whale/monster whatever

Name:  v5.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  189.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good so far i think!
    Suggestion: since the closer source of light is the scuba diver's flare, i'd suggest putting some of that same purpleish colour on the surrounding rocks and some on the monster too other than just the diver.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Ravatta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’m confused. Your new sketch still has the top of the mouth being twisted away from the bottom jaw, and foreshortened in a weird way. Or is it that you’re purposefully designing an animal with a completely useless mouth, and his bottom jaw really is way longer than his head? I’m not trying to be a jerk here; it just doesn’t make sense to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the pose for an attack should be more leaning in towards the action. Right now its kind of leaning away from the diver and gets that 'surprised look.'

"..now, to unleash screaming temporal doom.."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the monolith could be utilized in a better way than it currently is. The last version works well, since the blur of the background offered some depth and distance(previously it just looked like the fish was about to eat the stone). However, right now it is pretty much just a slab of stone in the background. Could work if that's what your after, of course. But wouldn't it make for a more interesting piece, if the fish monster came upon the diver while the diver was investigating the monolith? That would place the diver closer to the monolith, and the monolith between the fish and the diver. It would also create a story of a diver who came to investigate the strange appearance, while right now it is just a square piece of stone that sort of happen to be standing there by chance.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Eldinga For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.