Dallas, TX area -- where should we meet?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dallas, TX area -- where should we meet?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool Dallas, TX area -- where should we meet?

Calling out to those Dallas area Metroplexians out there...

There has been some traffic about a Dallas group in the Texas thread, but nobody ever said anything solid about it. Seems like enough people are around here, if we'd just get together things would start to roll.

What we need is a dedicated group, guys (and girls!) who will actually show up and commit to the work. I've been talking to one other guy here, and we are ready to rock. I've seen Robert on the board here looking for contacts; Rob, this is where you need to respond.

Look at those Austin guys, they're so cool! We should emulate those hipsters.

HERE IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:

Give us your location in DFW and what you do all day (student, job, whatever). Then suggest a place near you that would be ideal for us to congregate and scrawl in our sketchbooks. Any local hangouts you know of would be great. Any Borders or Starbucks would do if we're desperate, and lord knows Dallas has plenty of those.

North Texas students, Denton is probably a litle too far north for the rest of us, but I bet you're used to driving down here.

ALSO --> It would be ideal if there was a way to get in on some kind of walk-in life drawing class, if you know of any. I don't, but suggestions are welcome.

Anyone wants to email me, please do so. I am also on AIM all weekdays as 'RadiumSkull', so feel free.

THIS IS KEY: This isn't going to happen if we don't MAKE it happen, so be ready to commit. The CA spirit of art should be filling you right now, so go ahead and click that Reply button. You know you want to. GO!

/jzero

/jzero

'don't believe everything you think.'
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs down Or NOT.

Evidently this post is buried waaaaay too deep.

:nopity:

/jz

/jzero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey jzero, yeah we've definitely gotta get something happening here in Dallas. A bunch of us were talking about it over the workshop... If anybodies got any ideas on a good location throw 'em out there. I'm thinking we might shoot for sunday July 11th for our first meeting seeing since this is the long weekend and a lot of people will be outta town... anyways we'll hammer out the details over the next week and get this thing started!!!!

-Paul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Sunday the 11th sounds good. I think I'll be North-Dallas-Centric and say that the central Half Price Books on Northwest Highway seems like a good place to start out. Huge place, 'plenty of free parking', coffee shop, and the management probably won't mind us hanging about, either.

Holy crud, Paul, I am glad to see a reply from you. I know that there are lots of students and working wannabes (like myself) lurking around here locally, but if somebody like you who draws for a living is interested, then we have that much more of a shot at making it happen. It just makes it seem more 'serious'. Thanks!

Tell you what, I'm going to send an email 'probe' out to all the CA people that expressed interest over in the general Texas thread, and maybe that will stoke the coals.

Anybody who doesn't know ThE_BirD's chops, get your browser to www.sixfatninjas.com and bow down...

/jzero

Last edited by jzero; July 1st, 2004 at 11:48 AM.
    /jzero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Count me in! We started one of these a couple years ago and used the food court at the Galleria. It worked great as it was central to just about everything in the Dallas area. It gave us access to food and beverage plus a lot of interesting people watching. Several members moved away so it sort of died out. Id love to see one of these start up again.

- BoBo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Count me in. I'm a follower not a leader, so I an't be trusted to organize these kinds of things, but I'm down for life membership!

P.S. Anywhere near lots of books would be double the pleasure.

- Rockstar Ninja Artist Extraordinaire

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    :shocked: YESSSSSSSSSSS, Im all rearin ta go. As ive stated earlier lets paint tha town in lead or other media for that matter. Man for a second there I thought this whole operation was just turning out to be just simply space dust. Im glad things are all turnin up for the sketch group in dallas. But in order for this to work it there must be commitment and organization.

"A poet makes himself a visionary
    through a long, boundless systemized
    dissorganization of all the senses."
    -Arthur Rimbaud

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm in, if I can brave the drive to Dallas from Cleburne with no air conditioning. I'm going to see if I can rustle up a freind or two to join in, but I know I'm ready for a break from the usual summer slump.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, it looks like we're gonna have a good group to get this started. I checked out both the Galleria and the half price books on Northwest. The Galleria is really torn up(under renovation) right now so Half Price looks like our best bet. They have a "community room" which is really just a bunch of tables on one side of the store but should be pretty cool. It looks like they have a "group" in there sunday at 1:30 but if we could make it out closer to 11:30 or so we could have that section and be gauranteed space for everybody...I had them reserve the space for us either way(it's free ) I just want to be sure there's enough space for all of us...it sounds like there'll be at least 15 so far...unless there are a lot of people who don't think they can make it for 11:30 that'll be the official start time this sunday.
    I'm also gonna get a e-mail list together so that everyone's got the info so drop me an e-mail at pwarzecha@hotmail.com if you want to be added to the list. Make sure to put Dallas Sketch Group in the subject line so I don't lose it in the spam... See you all soon!!

-Paul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

All right, just so it's clear to everybody we'll be getting together this sunday at 11:30 at the Half Price Books on Northwest...

Here are the directions from Mapquest
    http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp...tate=Tx&zipcod[/UR L] e=&search=++Search++

I'll start sending out updates to everyone who sent me their e-mail next week cause I'm pretty sure we'll be moving to a more central location before too long...Lookin forward to seeing everyone there

-Paul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Hey y'all...Our first sketch group meeting turned out real good... we had a little over 20 people show and everybody got to crankin' out some cool sh*t

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/wip/picstemp/CIMG1058.JPG

So I sent an e-mail out to everybody who got me their addresses but I thought I better post it up here for anyone I haven't got yet...

For the immediate future we're going to keep holding the sketch group at the Half Price books at 11:30 sundays until we can find something better. I'd love to get some input on what you'd all like to do for these...it'll be as cool as we make it so don't be afraid to throw some ideas out there... I'm talking about everything from location to what we work on while we're there. Some people will want to just get together and draw with no agenda while others might want to have a specific goal in mind so we'll try to accomodate everyone.

Here are a some ideas for starters...

-if you like the way someone handles a particular technique maybe they'd be willing to demo their process'
    -we could do focused critiques on pieces people are willing to put for some critical beat down (constructive beatdown that is )
    -Zoo Trips!!
    -eventually I'd like to work in some life drawing as well...

anyways think about it.... and we'll meet up at Half Price Books this sunday at 11:30. Most of us all got a look at MC Barretts deluge of drawings last week(which were very cool BTW) but lets all try to bring some work this weekend for a little show and tell...

See you there

-Paul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, just saw this. I'm at the Guildhall in Plano. Maybe I'll see you at the next one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yah, the meeting was a blast - and I'll be out again on Sunday for more punishment. I hope more artists from TR can make it - maybe we can entice them somehow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh, I really didn't intend to hijack the meeting like that with my little ol' sketch dump- it was more of a last-minute thing as I remembered someone wanted to see some concepts that were dispersed randomly in the stack. This time I'll come significantly less burdened by that artist's social armor, and with some real drawing paper!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Todays session was cool but i had no clue who was there...maybe i missed the part where ppl introduced themselves since i was late.... :alien2:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really enjoyed the sketch group.I'm there next week for sure.I also enjoyed seeing the variety of art and meeting people I'd never thought I'd meet.It was a pleasure.

-Andez

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I've been having a great time and learnin a ton of cool stuff! I know it's a "sketch" group but Bobo's modeling demo was pretty awesome last week! It seems like a few new people trickle in with every session. Sorry you didn't get to meet everyone Skello, most of the introductions generally happen in the first half hour or so before we all slip into "the zone" and get drawin'. Hope to see you out there this weekend.... same place and time!!

-Paul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When is the next one?

I just wondered across this little section and am keen to join in. I probably already know a few of you from AID. Looking forward to gaining some insight and alternative viewpoints.

"Villiany wears many masks, but none so deadly as the mask of virtue."

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you guys better get ready. you're next on the list of local groups seattle must defeat in the thunderdome arena.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I missed Sketch Group last Sunday - it was my birthday, even! But reality prevailed, dammit. I WILL be there this week. Which brings to mind the week after that, the Sunday of which is the last day of QuakeCon (8/15). Anyone for a DSG meet-up in Grapevine?

Mjolnir1969 - Come on down, man, we'll be glad to have ya.

jetpack42 - Oh, YEAH??? I think we can take those flannel-wearing Starbuckies any day of the week. Bring it!

/jzero

/jzero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lookin forward to seeing you out there mjolnir1969! Sketch Group is this sunday at the half price bookstore(on Northwest) starting at 11:30 as per usual. Unfortunately they have another group booked in there at 1:30 this sunday so come get yer draw on early. A few of us will be going to see "Collateral"(the new Michael Mann flick) after Sketch group so keep that in mind if you want to come with!! See you all there!!!

..and Grapevine Mills sounds like a great place for us to get together for Quakecon weekend. We'll nail down the details this weekend

Last edited by ThE_BirD; August 7th, 2004 at 10:57 AM.
    -Paul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchgroup at Quakecon 08-15-04

Ok this week there won't be the usual sketch group because of Quakecon. Rather than meet up at the Half Price boooks we'll be heading out to the Gaylord Texan Resort & Convention Center where Quakecon is being held. We'll be meeting in front of the Lan area (on the second floor I believe) on sunday at 1:00. For those of you who weren't planning on going to Quakecon this year there's no cost involved so don't let that deter you. I haven't been there to confirm it but I've talked to a few people who say there's plenty of room to set up and do some drawing so we're just gonna head out there and play it by ear ...so grab your sketchbooks and come out this weekend...See you there!!

-Paul

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The UK Challenges the Dallas sketchgroup!

Hey Fellas,

The UK has put the word out, and challenges Dallas to a Thunderdome!
    UK Call Out Thread!

People from the UK have posted their sketchbooks/samples of work in the thread, so please check it out - IF YOU THINK YOUR UP TO IT!!!!

SO, what'ya say?

Mollyx & The UK'ers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It was good finally getting in on this sketch group and meeting some people. It's definitely a great way to start off the week. This is John by the way, I had glasses and black hair. I look forward to the next session.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rar!
    UK challenges dallas?!
    molly youre going down... and john u suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oi!

My name is Robert Smith. I'm a 3d Artist for TKO Software here in Dallas. I was interested in getting together with you guys for the Dallas sketch group. What times and days do you guys normally meet at the HPB? Also, anyone interested in some lifedrawing sessions. I remember people talking about wanting to do that.

Rob

Skatanic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Skatanic, it's still at HPB and it's at 11:30 in the morning. Not that I would know or anything (heh, crazy crunch hours but the game is almost done)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, anyone interested in some lifedrawing sessions. I remember people talking about wanting to do that.
    I'm definitely interested in that! My friends are getting tired of me asking them to pose for a few minutes....or longer. And, so far there haven't been any models at the HPB meetings. Or at least not on the days I've been there.

I do know that the "Bunch of Short Guys" animation group are supposed to be starting up some life drawing sessions in the next few weeks as well. I got an email from one of the guys in the Dallas Lightwave User Group. If you'd like the contact details and have questions about the class, PM me and I'll forward it to you all.

"So, we are hiring a model and setting up a class starting next Wednesday night @ 6:30. It will be a 3 hr pose and we'll probably be doing some warm up poses. This will be a painting class, so they are planning a single pose for 4 classes. If that doesn't excite you, remember several of these guys are a planning to generate completed oils over the course of the class. Personally I plan to do some pencils and then create a finished piece or two in pastels, since I don't work in oils. In other words, you don't have to spend the entire four sessions locked into one spot. You could do a series of works based on a single pose from different angles....$15 per person per session. Anything that's left after we pay the model goes to the museum (where we will be having the sessions). Lights, easels and model provided."

t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why can't these sessions ever be on weekends ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there, I am rilly rilly rilly interested by the model painting session, where can I find all the details about it (exact time and place, you said museum, but which one?? ) Thanks, and I can't wait to meet you guys on the next sketch group!

david

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.