Sketchbook: Euphe's sketchbook - till your eyes bleed
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Euphe's sketchbook - till your eyes bleed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Euphe's sketchbook - till your eyes bleed

I am a beginner and I am creating this sketchbook in order to not spam the wip section. I really need your help and I hope you will help me learn.

I will start with my recent practice: The hallway.

Guess it's a hallway desighned to be for some perspective practice, some shading bits and feeling practice. I only got an idea how to make the floor feel like a wooden one.
    How do I make walls concrete without using textures and custom brushes?

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Euphe; November 10th, 2012 at 12:47 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A new piece. I think it came out good.
    Wish I could find a way to make all of that without using custom brushes and textures. Hope somebody will comment on that one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Euphe.
    I think you have much potential. Don't take this as offensive, but I think these are a bit rushed. Art is a lot about patience. Although, I'm not sure if you consider these as finished..? But do consider spending more time on both. Also, are these from life, photographs or just from your imagination?

For the landscape, I recommend adding more objects here and there, add a middle ground and a foreground, maybe a fence, maybe some trees, rocks, etc. While you do this, also be aware of composition: is your composition balanced? Is there any dead space? You also seem to have a bit of a problem with scale. For all we know, that object in the middle could be 20 feet high or it could be smaller. I think this is partly, this is because your colors are a bit off (notice that, in nature, as objects get farther away, they tend to get less detailed and more blue/hazy, this is called atmospheric perspective). Fixing these will definitely help (as well as adding more objects). I recommend doing some life studies on landscape so you see how color works.

As for the hallway, that is a nice study of perspective. If you want to study perspective, I recommend getting a pencil, a sheet of paper and a ruler and try to capture what you see in a corner of your house, or maybe go outside. Just do lines, no value. After you get that, you can start adding values. Also, reading about perspective won't hurt.

I hope you find my crit somewhat useful! Keep these studies coming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for the crits!
    The hallway started when I was sitting in the local hospital and had nothing to do, so I just threw the general shape of the hallway I had to stare at on paper. Magically my turn in the line came really quick and I only finished the general perspective. Later at home I decided to draw a hallway in PS.

The landscape is drawn from photo reference. At first I tried to do it using only basic brushes, but failed utterly. I just couldn't give stuff a feeling of grass or rock. I was asking people on how to do all that without using textures and custom brushes (I mean people do it with real life pain, why can't I do it in PS?), but nobody told me.

Thanks for all the advice, I will definitely add detail to the landscape. I am also guessing that the colors in the picture are blending together, making it hard to look at.

I consider the landscape a breaking point in my studies. It's the first time I got brushes to work. When drawing clouds I drew some white bulbs and thought: "I have no idea what I am doing, maybe I should have just put some messy custom brushes down" and then I suddenly realised that I should grab a blue color and I just knew what to do with it. Awesome feeling.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reworked the grassland painting using the crits I got from people on another forum.
    Not sure if it's an improvement. Would like crits.
    You can also see another take on rendering the ladscape in grassland_new.png

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man it's cool that you tried to improve your landscape! the 2 last one are defenitly better than the first one. Keep it up.. improvement will come automatically.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you could give me an advice in which direction I should be heading?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have some stuff.
    I feel like taking an art course because it seems that I might waste a lot of time trying to learn everything myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something new. I am trying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    something with color pencils and an eye