Want to take art up and don't know where to ask for help.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Want to take art up and don't know where to ask for help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Want to take art up and don't know where to ask for help.

Hello. I am completely not sure if I am posting in the right place so please excuse me if I don't.
    To begin with, I like drawing. I really started drawing at school - drew anime characters when had nothing to do at classes. An awful experience indeed. Later on I moved to something more serious and realistic, traditional basics, but soon dropped it all.

Now I am 16 and I am returning to my dream. This time I am serious about it. I want to draw. No, I don't want to be an artist, I don't want to be a hireable artist. I just want a simple thing. If I get sudden inspiration or an idea I want to be able to draw something I would enjoy. A very blurry description, but let's state what I want: basics of color, proper perspective, basics of anathomy, basic ability to draw characters, basic ability to draw enviroments and landscapes, shading. I think that's it.

Now to the main problem. I can't take art classes. I just don't have the time. At least right now I don't. I am a first year student and I barely have any time for anything (I am always learning 100 things and taking part in two times more things).

I can't define a learning path for myself. Cab you help me? Can you tell me where I can show my work to get criticism? Where to learn basics?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Euphe View Post
    Hello. I am completely not sure if I am posting in the right place so please excuse me if I don't.
    To begin with, I like drawing. I really started drawing at school - drew anime characters when had nothing to do at classes. An awful experience indeed. Later on I moved to something more serious and realistic, traditional basics, but soon dropped it all.

Now I am 16 and I am returning to my dream. This time I am serious about it. I want to draw. No, I don't want to be an artist, I don't want to be a hireable artist. I just want a simple thing. If I get sudden inspiration or an idea I want to be able to draw something I would enjoy. A very blurry description, but let's state what I want: basics of color, proper perspective, basics of anathomy, basic ability to draw characters, basic ability to draw enviroments and landscapes, shading. I think that's it.

Now to the main problem. I can't take art classes. I just don't have the time. At least right now I don't. I am a first year student and I barely have any time for anything (I am always learning 100 things and taking part in two times more things).

I can't define a learning path for myself. Cab you help me? Can you tell me where I can show my work to get criticism? Where to learn basics?
    You can put your work up in this section here:

http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdi...W-I-P-SHOWCASE

Also start your own sketchbook thread and fill it up with your drawings and doodles.

Though I have to wonder why you feel you must tell us that you 'don't want to be an artist' but you came to these forums and want crits and want to learn how to draw.
    That does not make much sense to me. Keep in mind that if you ask for help, people will give hard crits regardless.

There are plenty of tutorials all over the site. I suggest checking out the fine arts section and the tutorials section.
    For my part, I will tell you to pick up a pencil, a big stack of paper and start drawing things you see around you. People, objects, etc...
    The more you draw from life. The quicker you will find yourself improving as you begin to understand the principles of light and form.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorrry if I confused you. I meant I don't want art to be my job. I want it as a hobby.
    Thanks for response, I am quite used to critics and don't get offended unless it's really destructive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the good news is your in the age of the internet so it comes down to how much time your willing to invest. If its for hobby use then I guess the time you are relaxing is the time you should be practicing your art. I did a quick google search and the top link I found this: http://drawsketch.about.com/od/learn...nhowtodraw.htm It has some useful info for the total noob but hey we all start that way some day right?

You have taken your first step to becoming a better artist congratulations! I understand you have no interest in making this career and that's just fine after all art is a great way to relax and who doesn't need such a hobby the great part is its a cheep hobby so you don't have to worry about breaking the bank to do it. I would start with a sketch book thread of your own and start posting anything you lay down on paper be it studies / doodles / renders / you name it if your pencil hit it and its not a shopping list its time to post it! Why you may ask? Because if nothing ells its a electronic record for your self to see how you develop as a artist so you can identify what skills you still need or what subject matter you still have yet to explore.

You have a loooooooooonnnnnnnngggggggggeeeeeeee list there champ but the good thing is you got some kind of direction so pick a item and go from there I would avoid the complex ones if you have not got a thorough understanding of the basics yet though. Its kind of hard to draw a land scape when you can not understand form. Its kind of hard to draw a arm when you cant draw basic shapes...

As for subject matter as Star Eater put it Life > all other forms because its from life that set the stander. Keep asking question and good luck on your journey sir.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am studying General Fine Art at a community college, since it's a community college we have to take everything else that is not art related. What i am trying to say is replace your internet time, or your tv time with drawing. If you have time to post this then you have to go practice drawing.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.