IOW #39 - CD Cover - Finals

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Thanked 1,435 Times in 747 Posts
    Follows
    Following

IOW #39 - CD Cover - Finals

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog

"Complacency is the womb of mediocrity. " -- Jason Manley

"If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them." -- Bruce Lee
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    too late>.< i left my files at school friday, and had no way to get to them this weekend. still thought id post it tho, C&C is still welcome, i really want to get better at illustrations

Name:  stg1.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  426.7 KB
    Name:  wips stgIII.jpg
Views: 390
Size:  73.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @first0: I think you have some good shapes here but it seems to me that you might try doing more thumbnails/roughs (i.e., smaller, quicker brainstorming-level drawings) to consider the optimum layout and to improve the shapes that right now don't seem developed. I get the sense that it was meant to be a more cartoonized rendering, which is no problem, but her hands seem small and "unfinished" even given the common conventions of a "toon." When doing several smaller iterations just to churn out the idea, you also have the opportunity to hone it, to ask, "Is a centered view the best?" "What if the character was seen from a different angle?" "What color palette is more conducive to the desired mood of the piece??"

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MasterTroglodyte For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Troglodyte! i did do a few roughs in my sketchbook first, however i think im still not good enough translating my ideas to quick concepts and end up chosing the "best sketch" instead of the "best idea".

The small hands i didnt even notice untill you pointed it out>.<. I guess i got some sort of tunnelvision when im pleased with the original sketch, some anatomy studies wont serve me wrong. Being able to take distance and look at the general compostition and the choices i made is probably something
    i need to work on too. The cartonized look was a mix of me not having a tablet at my disposal (got stolen in the train) and when it comes to rendering i tend to make use of shapes intead of brushes for a clean look, as my brushwork is mostly sloppy and not fit yet for an illustration like this.

I get the general idea that i just need to practice my linework and general sketching/concept skills. making me able to make decisions based on ideas instead of looks.

Thanks again for ur comments
    back to improving my skills now!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.