Wicked Witch and Flying Monkeys - feedback very appreciated
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wicked Witch and Flying Monkeys - feedback very appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wicked Witch and Flying Monkeys - feedback very appreciated

Hello everyone! Like others, I've been a lurker here for a little while, and would like to take the next step and post some artwork for a bit of thrashing and hopefully, as my skills improve, provide some useful feedback to others. I'm currently working on my take of the Wicked Witch from the Wizard of Oz and her horde of flying monkeys. Everyday I practice I learn something new, and I still have a lot of the basics to improve upon, so as the title says, any feedback is very welcome and appreciated. Thanks!
    Name:  Flying_Monkeys_2_1200.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  130.0 KBName:  Flying_Monkeys_1200x800.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  115.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Well, now, it's a complex piece and it's holding together pretty well. I wanted to say that first so I don't launch right into being a jerk about the details

As an overall observation, each of the figures stands alone without being connected to one another. They're not overlapping much, or interacting with the background to make big compositional shapes. That's not terrible, it's a valid approach, but it's an approach that lacks drama.

Specifically honing in on your main character: waist too long, legs too short. Her lower legs in particular are bending funny. I'm not feeling her skull inside her head -- particularly, her teeth are too far forward. They're often drawn that way in cartooning, but it looks a lot wronger when you're trying for realism. Also: hands and feet.

It's an ambitious piece and you've clearly worked hard and applied the right attitude to it. It's just needs more good old fashioned anatomy and composition.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There definitely needs some refinement, right now the details, face and focal points are weak, and feel a little placed together. I would get in and be more precise and that will encourage confidence on where things need to go.

Last edited by self-epidemic; November 8th, 2012 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Bad spelling D:

5. The Following User Says Thank You to self-epidemic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    It's an ambitious piece
    Well said Stoat Yea, it's an ambitious piece for me, and I feel like I've just cut and pasted all parts together. But I'm not sure how to fix the composition itself - so definitely going to take your advice. I'm going to revamp the witch (and continue practicing anatomy - I try to do a bit each day). I may also just retreat and reduce the piece to mainly the witch until my composition skills improve.. Thanks again for the tips! Can't wait to start tweaking.

self-epidemic, thanks! Will do, I'll focus on the details and get some refinement.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

update to witch

wow, I am definitely going to spend far more time than I have been on learning anatomy. I think I've struggled more than I should have in designing the witch and then revising her. And I'm realizing just how much time I have spent on other pieces revising anatomy after the digital paint is on when that stuff should already be worked out... Luckily, I have neighbors and friends who are happy to pose as a witch for me, which has helped, but my basic skills can always use far more work! Anyhow, hopefully this is at least and improvement. When I finally got some time, I went to task on her face, hands, waist and legs. Thanks again for any feedback!

Name:  witch_revised_1.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  106.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Much improved. Now just...spend the rest of your life incrementally improving in exactly the same way

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Words of wisdom to live by Stoat! Will do Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.