Druidic Hunter
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Druidic Hunter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Druidic Hunter

Hi everyone, first post on the forums, always loved lurking around here and gorging my eyes but I thought it was time I actually threw myself out there for some good honest feedback.

Professionally I'm a 3D artist and animator and whilst I can draw reasonably well refined concept skills have always escaped me, so I'm making an effort to practice these areas more often.

Anyway this is my progress on a character I'm working on as a personal project. He's a kind of druidic ranger/hunter, I wanted to get a curious mix between tribal mysticism and more modern elements such as the rifle and pistol (which is currently lost in the brush work around the hip. I also wanted to play with some of the shapes a bit, like the hood which evolved from being a traditional pointed thing to this kind of slicked back aubergine.

I have a few pages of thumbnails I did to work out the silhouette and shape but alas my scanner is borked so I can't post these right now.

Feedback and advice greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Working into it with a softer brush trying to bring some more details in. I feel should go back to a harder brush.

Name:  hunter_02.png
Views: 102
Size:  1.08 MB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there, please resize the pics to smaller versions. Will make it easier for our members to
    see them as a whole and encourage crits. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Done and done, apologies

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Art_Unit_5 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Helloo, all I can say about this piece so far is that the pose looks quite awkward, its just hard to believe that someone in the real world would want to stand like that? Also the hood looks a bit odd supporting itself, it would look a bit more interesting with a fold perhaps? The left arm is too low down leaving the impression that the neck is really long. You've made good colour choices with earthy colours for the druid although some more natural elements could be introduced to re-enforce that he is a druid. Alsoooooo, I dont know if you intend to do this or not but the character would look much better in his own environment.

Sorry if I was a bit blunt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As the above poster said, the pose looks awkward. The way he's standing looks like he's reaching for the rifle, his upper body and head are leaning towards it. Like he's trying to be sneaky and hope no one notices.

I would suggest working on the underlying anatomy before adding more detail to the costume. At least make him stand straight.

Also the the black things, I'm sure they aren't supposed to be plastic dildos, but that's what they look like.

Added a paint over to show you what I mean.

cheers.

Last edited by fireblade; November 9th, 2012 at 08:45 AM. Reason: added Paintover

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.