Portrait of the Week?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Portrait of the Week?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Portrait of the Week?

Hey guys,
    I am just wondering why we don't have a portrait of the week in community activities? Or would this be to similar to chow? I thought it would be a cool thing to have. Would you take part if we did?

It's something I see in a lot of sketchbooks, mostly all sketchbooks in fact. So why exactly is it we don't have a weekly activity of this age old profession?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like portraits and all, but it wouldn't really be something I'd look into getting as an activity.

It would be a bit difficult to make subjects for a start. I guess doing a portrait in the style of van Gogh would be fun once, but what would you keep going with once a few obvious once are done? Seems like it would get really gimmicky really fast, integrating assigned elements, making funny expressions... And while that might be fun too, it's not really what portraiture is about, is it? You wouldn't actually be gaining portraiture skills.

And then there's the problem of the subject. If I wanted to do a portrait of someone I'd want them to pose for me live. And so far I haven't actually found droves of people willing to do that just for fun. At the very least you'd want to carefully pose the person for a photograph, and it wouldn't take many weeks before you'd run out of willing people (depending on your friends). I might use photos taken by other people for practicing drawing people, but I wouldn't call those portraits. All the important decisions have already been made for you. And if you deviate from a reference you got that way, what's the point? You don't know the person you are drawing, so you'll hardly get a better likeness or feeling of them.

I can't really see it working in general.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Suncut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kiitos

I understand your points and they are very constructive ones. It was just a thought I had while at work. I thought it could be cool to have it. I was thinking subjects of like Jekyll and Hyde, Alien kings and queens and such like....it would be interesting to see different people's takes on how they go about constructing them. For example, how Dave Rapoza basically reinvented characters from past cartoons such as Turtles and HeMan...if you know how I mean...

...but maybe I guess you are right...maybe it would wear thin, in short amount of time...

I'm great full for your input

Onnea!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think that could be a good idea for an illustration of the week topic though.

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    I think that could be a good idea for an illustration of the week topic though.
    That's what I mean by would it be to similar to other weekly activities...I know there has been some portrait ones in IoW...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think thats a great idea, whats wrong with doing a portrait of your cat or any animals, I'm surely they wont mind that they have got a drawn portrait of theirselves.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.