3 landscapes
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 3 landscapes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3 landscapes

Some environment works.
    These pictures are well in progress. I think I need to work a bit more on the composing and general feels of the sceneries. Any observation, criticism or remark are very welcome !

Name:  VisionMiragia WIP2.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  335.2 KBName:  Visionsandfall WIP2.jpg
Views: 218
Size:  158.9 KBName:  VisionTobol WIP4.jpg
Views: 220
Size:  313.0 KB

Last edited by MatthewD; November 8th, 2012 at 07:46 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. The forms and textures of the plants, rocks etc. are well handled.

My initial reaction is that the animals feel somewhat clumsily drawn in comparison to the well-rendered settings--so if it were me I'd find some better reference for the musculature and textures of the animals and put some time in on that.

The composition is basically good on all three but the bottom two have, in my opinion, too much "white space." You might want to add detail to some areas to move the viewer's eyes around a bit more.

Hope that is of some use.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Giacomo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They are all very good ( as far as I can tell) Your lines are all very organic which works well, but the environments seem to lack atmosphere. Everything is crisp and clear. There is no sense of LIGHT apparent in these spaces. There is no mood or feeling being created. Are these mysterious spaces, calm and tranquil, enthralling? Can't really tell they are just there. I realize that they are unfinished and that may be coming, so if that is the case then disregard that comments.
    In the second image the two figures are almost invisible didn't notice them till the third time I looked at it. If that wasn't you intent you may want to do something about it. If it was your intent then I would ask why bother even putting them in there? Also what are those fish swimming in? Is it water? Sand? I can't really tell.
    Again as these are in process my comments may be out of order and if so I apologize. The drawing in these three pieces is very good and I don't really see any serious issues. Maybe if you said a little about what you are trying to achieve with each piece it would be easier to give direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like these in general. I agree with Chas though, some atmosphere as objects recede into the distance would do a lot, or any variation of the lines and technique. On the fish piece it's really bothering me how equal all the rocks are treatment wise, you'd have a chance to add great depth by some variations of adding a bit more blacks and leaving bigger white areas, not to mention visual interest. As the light is coming from the top you could have all the lines up there chopped up and small to add a sort of haze from the light source. In the first one I'd add some blacks or some texture to help differentiate the different layers of the forest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  VisionMiragiapaintover.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  252.1 KB
    Decided to try my hand at illustrating what I mean, sorry for butchering your drawing, I don't really do inks a lot. I may have gone just a bit too far, but hopefully you get something out of it.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Suncut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much for all those remarks, they are very helpful !

And This version looks great Suncut, I can totally see what you meant there. It add so much more volume. Thank you for taking the time ! ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  VisionTobol WIP7.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  195.2 KB

Here is the progress on the cliff one. I added some color, lighting and re-drawed the ape-like creatures.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.