When did you start paying the bills with art?
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: When did you start paying the bills with art?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

When did you start paying the bills with art?

The title says it - When did you start paying your bills with the art you produced? Do you work a day job and make art on the side? Or maybe you're still trying to figure it out?
    I'm just curious to know what you do as an artist (freelance, in-house concept artist, fine artist, animator, etc) and how you think that impacts the way you earn a living.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Brittneyok View Post
    The title says it - When did you start paying your bills with the art you produced? Do you work a day job and make art on the side? Or maybe you're still trying to figure it out?
    I'm just curious to know what you do as an artist (freelance, in-house concept artist, fine artist, animator, etc) and how you think that impacts the way you earn a living.
    Well... I just got my first job sub-contracted by an advertising agency today after finishing uni a week ago (yes, I dealt with the devil and sold my soul).

The goal is to work in film/animation one day... It's a start I guess... Just want to get out of hospitality!!!

www.travismillar.com

Ever just woken up and gone "shit, does the world around me exist"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started full-time illustration in July, and since August it has been paying my bills.
    Of course I have no idea how long it will stay that way but I do everything I can to make it worthwhile. I occupy myself with either work on the painting jobs, and in-between it's all business, promotion, and networking. About 50/50.
    I think it's still too soon to tell if I've "made it". It might take a year or longer until I can say for sure "yes, I made it" (or not)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I started making money doing “art” when I was 16, soon after I bought my first airbrush setup, back in the late 70s. I bought my first car ('66 Chevelle) at 16 1/2 with van and Harley tank mural money. I didn’t start paying all of my bills with ‘art money’ until 1985 (through to today). I’ve freelanced all of those years with only 3 years spent as an in-house, fulltime, illustrator (mid 90s).

A good part of my pre-digital, pre-2001, work was done using these things (what’s left of my collection of airbrushes--now denizens of a box in the attic):

Name:  ab.jpg
Views: 215
Size:  378.3 KB

Last edited by bill618; November 8th, 2012 at 11:30 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to bill618 For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 4