Art: Sketching Buildings from Life.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketching Buildings from Life.

Hello to all.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips or can recommend me some books on sketching buildings and nature from life. Iīve been looking around and all I find is drawing the human figures from life.

My issue is that my building sketches look really primary compared to my figure sketches (not much better, but still better than the building or nature sketches).

Thank you in advance for any tip.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The techniques of sketching are the same whatever your subject. If you pay attention to proportion, relative positions of landmarks, angles, basic shapes and volumes, contours, negative space, local value and color vs. light and shade, contrast, construction, texture- all the usual stuff- you'll learn a lot. I suggest you start with small, quick sketches - concentrate on the basics - rather than jumping right into fully rendered sketches. Buildings and landscapes have so much detail it's easy to get bogged down drawing every brick or blade of grass if you don't force yourself to stay broad.

A ruler or t-square, about as long as your paper or a bit longer, is handy both for drawing straight lines and for checking angles and proportions.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Notophthalmus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. Thanks for the tip. I think thatīs my issue. I still didnīt educate my brain to tackle the general proportions and then advance into detail..Itīs tough to control your brain

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.