geting more serious about drawing need help with info
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: geting more serious about drawing need help with info

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

geting more serious about drawing need help with info

I wanna take art more series..and work on my weakness which is eye and hand coordination and learning basic shapes and draw them in shadow...i'm guessing i need to studdy still life and draw people at coffee shops and stuff.

my problem is I only have $250 bucks and i have no idea what kind of art supplies i need or how much i need for still life drawing and drawing peopel at coffy shops...i wanna make a cheap shadow box or still life box and i need lapmps and stuff...i rilly dont know what i need lol...is a pocket size sketchbook good for drawing peopel at coffy shops lol pleas help i need info...what have i got myself into lol.

Last edited by creeptool; November 7th, 2012 at 04:43 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I notice that your last art post in your Sketchbook is from July 2011.
    Honestly you can do a lot with a box of charcoal/graphite pens, a cheap lamp and draw stuff you have in your house.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    I notice that your last art post in your Sketchbook is from July 2011.
    Honestly you can do a lot with a box of charcoal/graphite pens, a cheap lamp and draw stuff you have in your house.
    hello yes it's been awhile since last I posted anything in my sketchbook i'm hoping that will change... now if i can only find my scanner lol.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 1,617 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by creeptool View Post
    hello yes it's been awhile since last I posted anything in my sketchbook i'm hoping that will change... now if i can only find my scanner lol.
    Well, I hope that you have at least been drawing during this time?

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you need a surface, a medium, and friction. i hope you find them.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cro-magnon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    Well, I hope that you have at least been drawing during this time?
    i draw every so often.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Send me your $250...I'll send a kit.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cro-magnon View Post
    you need a surface, a medium, and friction. i hope you find them.
    That's what I tell the wife! *Budum-Tsssssshhhh...* Thank you...I'll be here all week!

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

11. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You only need some paper, a pencil and an eraser. Especially for sketching people in coffee shops or on the bus -- the less equipment you use, the less you have to carry and the smaller the chance that you'll lose something or forget it somewhere. I usually use a plain 8x5" sketchbook (right now it's a cheap blank notebook with thin paper), a mechanical pencil, a white vinyl eraser and some technical drafting pens for inking.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made a shadow box out of cardboard and it worked well enough (basically free). Then I bought some alzo bulbs from amazon that simulated natural light 5500 K. Not perfect but a lot better then normal bulbs and I got 4 for about 20 bucks. I put one in an adjustable desk lamp and another in one of those aluminum light reflectors found at the hardware store for less then 10 bucks. All together its maybe 30 bucks. Then just use pencils and paper because you probably already have it, does not really matter what size. But it would be good to have some larger and some smaller paper to handle any situation. As you run out or your desire to try new things grows then buy a little bit and test it out, if you like it buy more. No need to stockpile supplies and waste money on thing you might not ever use. Good luck.

My Website I am available for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Send me your $250...I'll send a kit.
    sounds like a great transaction but before anything i have a bridge to sell to you lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GuruGaia View Post
    I made a shadow box out of cardboard and it worked well enough (basically free). Then I bought some alzo bulbs from amazon that simulated natural light 5500 K. Not perfect but a lot better then normal bulbs and I got 4 for about 20 bucks. I put one in an adjustable desk lamp and another in one of those aluminum light reflectors found at the hardware store for less then 10 bucks. All together its maybe 30 bucks. Then just use pencils and paper because you probably already have it, does not really matter what size. But it would be good to have some larger and some smaller paper to handle any situation. As you run out or your desire to try new things grows then buy a little bit and test it out, if you like it buy more. No need to stockpile supplies and waste money on thing you might not ever use. Good luck.
    thanks for the info about the alzo bulbs i'll check it out on amazon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't wanna half ass it with art supplies they don't have to be name brand or great...the last thing i want is not having the right stuff and being uncomfortable...do you think i should invest in a easel and if so what type?

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Photocopy paper, a bag of cheap BIC pens, and 10,000 hours of drawing with an eye towards analyzing, understanding, and questioning why this looks like this and why does the shadow look like that, and reading art history books and mags and journals to increase your understanding of your desired craft.

Learning to draw is not only about siting down and drawing.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sounds like a great transaction but before anything i have a bridge to sell to you lol
    Thanks for the offer but it's probably a bridge I already own!

If you really want to spend your money...I would say the half french easel is by far the most versatile thing you can own. Use it for drawing, painting, packing around, as a tabletop easel, etc. Get a large drawing clip-board and large pad of paper, both newsprint and sketch/drawing...a good selection of graphite, charcoal, chamois, some erasers a decent sized sketchbook and a handy box to carry your supplies. Good to go.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

21. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the offer but it's probably a bridge I already own!

If you really want to spend your money...I would say the half french easel is by far the most versatile thing you can own. Use it for drawing, painting, packing around, as a tabletop easel, etc. Get a large drawing clip-board and large pad of paper, both newsprint and sketch/drawing...a good selection of graphite, charcoal, chamois, some erasers a decent sized sketchbook and a handy box to carry your supplies. Good to go.
    i was kind of playing devil's advocate with you nothing serious lol...thanks for the info

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just get drawing... and try to find your way around that whole drawing issue.

if it would be as easy, to possibly beeing spoonfed, dont you think less people would struggle with it?

[edit] its not an equipment issue neither....

Last edited by sone_one; November 7th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i draw every so often.
    Buy a scanner and post more often then?

It's kinda hard to tell you what you need on one level, it's like "Where's a great place to eat around here" without knowing your locale or what the hell you like to eat.

You have 250 now, well here...about 50 bucks new
    http://amzn.com/B003VQR1UC

Post more then show us how serious you are. Then people can get an idea of where you're going, what you're doing and make more recommendations.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not about what you use as much as it is about what you do. Honestly you can go a long way just using supplies you already have or really cheap ones (pencils + paper = ???)

(That said, every time someone draws on lined notebook paper, an angel loses its wings.)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Amarok For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OmenSpirits View Post
    Photocopy paper, a bag of cheap BIC pens, and 10,000 hours of drawing with an eye towards analyzing, understanding, and questioning why this looks like this and why does the shadow look like that, and reading art history books and mags and journals to increase your understanding of your desired craft.

Learning to draw is not only about siting down and drawing.
    Yup. A clipboard for the photocopy paper also comes in handy. I was lucky enough to get hold of a small, size A5 one, so I cut the paper sheets in half. Works very well when sketching out in public, or, even more importantly, in boring meetings when I want to draw while pretending I am actually following whatever they are prattling on about. I don't even need to buy photocopy paper, because at work there's always scrap paper lying around, and the fact that one side has whatever printed on it does not prevent me from using the other side for drawing. I consider the huge amount of paper wasted by the average work place a boon.

Total costs of my drawing equipment: perhaps about R20 or so. That comes to about US$3.

Now I just need to find the time for the damn 10 000 hours... :-)

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm...that's awfully small to be working blogmatix, imho - sure ok for meetings, doodles, working at a coffee shop. But in general you want to work larger and standing at an easel. The freedom of movement, drawing from the shoulder, paper set in the picture plane, etc. are all important factors in learning to see and draw well.

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I work in a call center environment as a customer support rep and this gives me plenty of down time when I'm not working on a case. Due to this down time I have a notebook in front of me at all times and my bic pen arms reach. The best thing I can say about my job is how it allows me to have all this empty time to fill up with sketching. Practice makes perfect and its nice to have time to practice.

If you want to get good and are on a budget then it comes down to needing something to draw on, something to draw with, and subject matter to draw. You can get all of these things vary cheep to free thanks to the market today. I personally use a notebook / Bic Pen / and anything on my desk, out my window, or in google images search...

When you get right down to it you need practice and you need to read about your medium to learn about not only how something works but why it works that way. It's pretty tough to draw a human in any pose with any kind of cloths on if you don't understand how the body moves, what it looks like in that pose, how fabric moves, and how light plays on the surface of objects.

Sure there are LOTS of books out there and in these forms there are TONES of reference material that has all ready been sited by other artist so you know it must be half decent. I learned the most important skill when it comes to art no matter your medium is the ability to stick to it. If you do it only every once in a while in a blue moon then congrats your progression will grow vary slowly if even at all. Pick the medium you enjoy the most and work at it and research it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank to everyone who replied to my post you've been helpful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm...that's awfully small to be working blogmatix, imho - sure ok for meetings, doodles, working at a coffee shop. But in general you want to work larger and standing at an easel. The freedom of movement, drawing from the shoulder, paper set in the picture plane, etc. are all important factors in learning to see and draw well.
    I suppose that's true. But I have never really had room for an easel and have little choice but to draw at a desk. I do sometimes use a small desk easel, because I find that it does help quite a bit to have the subject and the drawing in the same line of sight, rather than having to look up at the subject and then down at the drawing. But it's hell on my arm, which tires after ten minutes. I'll never make a good conductor. :-)

I guess I'm forced to be a Renaissance man... :-)

Name:  Maso Finiguerra Seated painters apprentice drawing 19-5 cm small.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  140.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I think the most important thing is both entirely free and the hardest to obtain, and thats unrelenting dedication.

Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's what I tell the wife! *Budum-Tsssssshhhh...* Thank you...I'll be here all week!
    Oh god this comment made me lose it XD
    am i really that immature.

My pencil hold a gun to my head and says "Draw bitch draw"
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...-My-sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.