Art: Concept Art Practica.. - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been very busy.Doing research for my concept title BERMUDA during spare time.Decided to do paintovers on my old works I posted here for practice-

Paintover-

Old-

Paintover-

Old-

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New stuff on Bermuda-

This was how I originally made the presentation-
    http://melviso.deviantart.com/#/d5omzh6

but it appears photobucket and imgur don't upload gifs of 6mb or above.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gaaah...did this today and I hate the outcome.It looks very flat and crappy.Need to spend more time on my work till it gets to an acceptable level of finish.Even the textures I slapped on couldn't save it.Will paintover it,till it looks better.No new painting till this one gets to a good destination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to improve on it..still WIP-

Hollow's Weep-

Still WIP-

Zyu's priestess-

I just watched the latest video by feng zhu-
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rI6q...jAGFAA&index=1

Turns out I have been using the first method and truthfully my progress has been very slow.I have to admit drawing basic shapes with,lighting,shadow,perspective composition is kinda boring...actually very boring.But if doing these will help me improve.I SHALLT DOETH IT.

Kudos to everyone telling me this from the beginning.
    It's like fengzhu saw my thread and made that video to let me understand I am going about this using the long and tedious route.

Next posts shall be basic shapes,in black and white.

Last edited by melviso; December 22nd, 2012 at 11:57 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Change of attitude looks like improvement already. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Artificial Design

Core fundamentals practice-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Value study-

and hohoho..Merry Christmas and a happy new year.Why do I feel that pretty soon,we might see an uprising of chickens with armour,weapons and lethal martial arts skills against humans due to the fact they get consumed doing this period like crazy?That would make one crazy funny idea for a movie.Anyways,Merry Christmas,every one.

Last edited by melviso; December 24th, 2012 at 07:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Value paintings-

Last edited by melviso; January 2nd, 2013 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd advice you stop doing full scale production paints and start immediately focusing on studies.

Like these:

You probably have a million fantastic ideas you want to get down on paper but stop... you aren't doing your ideas justice. At this stage you want to focus purely on the fundamentals and these are:
    Anatomy
    Perspective
    Value(light)
    Colour
    Composition

When you have those 5 things you can then begin to explore all the ideas you have buzzing around your head. When people view a painting, whether they are artists or not, they are very good at picking out mistakes. At this stage your skills are developed enough to make viewing your ideas enjoyable because the viewer is so preoccupied with seeing mistakes. This doesn't mean you should stop, or that your ideas are bad, it just means you need practice.

Practice is what will make you a great painter and you have the potential. So I would highly recommend you do study after study after study after study. Sketch people, places, real things. This is absolutely necessary. Incredibly boring and tedious at times but necessary because if you can't draw real things, you won't ever be able to draw fictional things. If you are determined to get into this field you must begin hardcore studying all the time, constantly. It's very painstaking but if you do this ever day I GUARANTEE you WILL see results in months rather than years.

It will be enjoyable watching you develop, but you must begin today with the fundamentals or you will never start: Anatomy, Perspective, Value, Colour, Composition. So no more sci-fi, fantasy, fiction... we want to see bowls of fruit, perspective studies of your bedroom, drawings of real people .

Good luck!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazzard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still trying to get my values down-

Sky sailors-

Mystery Meeting-

Desert encoach-

Robot raiders-

@Hazzard
    Thanks for the pointers..I am drawing those shapes on a sketchpad,also studying the environment around me has helped me understand a lot.I am learning one at a time.Right now I am trying to get my vaules down.Once I get that down,color will follow.Anatomy and perspective will come last,then composition.I know its unconventional but thats how I have decided to go about it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can try to focus on these individual fundamentals one by one, but that isn't necessary. You can accomplish all of these in one fell swoop simply by life drawing and study. Paint and draw from photographs or sketch from real life models. Trust me on this, it will save you so much time and your work will improve dramatically in a short period of time if you do it every day. You will notice improvement within a month if you spend just 15 minutes per day sketching something you see or from a photograph.

Again, these value studies are great, but really you aren't learning anything from it because you aren't using reference, you are just honing technique which at this point won't help you. Drawing or painting from life combines all the fundamentals in into one piece of work.

I know it's SUPER boring having to do these sketches... trust me i've been there... did it for 10 years and it's dull as dish water, but as I always say to people looking to do this as a career, if this is what you want you MUST go through this stage. It's pretty much unavoidable. I've never met anyone in the industry (and I know quite a few, from Arenanet to Crytek) who was able to sidestep this stage in their artistic development and jump to becoming a concept artist or illustrator. It's simply apart of growing as an artist.... and in fact it's still necessary when you do it as a career, even the masters did it right up until they died.

It's really worth focusing purely on this kind of work for the next few years. There is nothing wrong with doing a neat concept idea you have in your head if you are feeling super inspired but really your focus at this point should be purely study, exercises and life drawings .

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hazzard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did these today-

Seems my repeated value painting is paying off.Without using the color picker,I know exactly what value to pick and paint.Used a screenshot from one of heavenly sword cutscenes as reference to paint values.

Tried to block in basic shapes.I did use some references to get an idea of environments and atmospheres.Was quite surprised to notice some features even though they are far in the distance still have dark values,learnt other things as well.I know this is very far from perfect.Will be painting from pictures,magazines,and references in black and white for now.

@harzard..yep..tried what u said,and I have learnt some new things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Melviso

Here's are few tips that could help you a bit :

-Be careful with pure black and white in you composition , or use it sparingly if you do.
    -Concerning your brush size, keep in mind that objetcs become smaller and their colors tend to desaturate with depth of field. Sometimes your brush size are identical from the foreground to the background.
    Scale is very important and helps your images looks profesionnal. There's a lot of tutorial over the internet about the way to have good composition, perspective, balance , here's a link that helps me a lot and it's deadly efficient (start at 22:00) : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gl9Ra4pwgJ0
    - We never learn too much , the brain has an incredible drawing memory so use it to improve. I see you like environments and characters, so go do some live sketchings sessions outside and do some human sketchings.
    - Take your time, keep in mind that struggling first on fundamentals is more efficient that trying to force original design during your learning process. You will feel your improvement painting after painting.
    - Last but not least : have fun with your stuffs , don't be scared of your badass white canvas and put some values, lines and randomness untill something pop up , it will help you bring confidence. Remember that you have the most umbelievable thing in your hands, you can make unlimited mistakes with tools as photoshop,painter or other software, use it as an advantage.

Wish you the best for your learning process
    portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty new to the forums but with everything I've been reading I think Hazzard's comment is a really valuable contribution to your and most aspiring artist's (like myself) growth. I believe the crit that you're being given is, Your drawing ability is limiting your concepts and value studies.

If you start doing more master copies and go life drawing you'll build a muscle memory and shape library to design with. I think working on your concepts is important too because its fun and keeps giving you chances to apply the knowledge you acquire from your studies. But it might be beneficial to get a tone paper sketchbook, a range of felt tip sketch pens and check out this style/approach to drawing: http://patrickballesteros.com/viscom...sketching#/i/0. It's great for learning how to break down complex shapes and build good solid drawing from simple ones. I took this class in the fall and it REALLY helped me see a pathway to consistent improvement and the importance of critical thought in approaching a subject.

I also feel you should share these studies. It'd be encouraging to the community if they could see and implementation of their advice and would encourage more versatile feedback. I think you're receiving the same crit over and over and the only way that'll change is if you show more of a process of how your approaching things differently.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks momucat & Xperiment.
    Yep...I have decided to only paint from reference for now to improve my fundamentals.Seems hazzard was very very correct.Been really busy lately.Did this today using reference from ffvii demo still-

Didn't use the color picker.Guessed which values to paint and I think I came pretty close.
    Still need to fix some things.I converted the reference to black and white before painting.I am wondering if I should paint in black and white while leaving the reference pic in color and try and guess what values are representing what colors and paint them but I am thinking I should get comfortable with painting in black and white first?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Power failure here is really very bad..Could only do this.Also busy,will try and do more studies.

Painted using a still from ffxiiiversus trailer as reference.Still need to work on getting colors and likeness spot on.But with repeated practice will get there.I used GIMP for this painting.Turns out GIMP is very awesome and I am really digging its brushes and the way it handles colors.Will be using it for future paintings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello

The hole point of adding in textures and "photo crops" is to save time. Think of it this way, If you were an employer and you had a choice between 2 artists, one paints every line by hand and can produce 2, maybe 3 pictures a day, the other uses some photo textures, but produces a minimum 5 pictures a day, what is better value for money??
    In the concept art industry, its not the "Art" on the page that's worth the money, its the design, so it all boils down to, artist A gives me 2 designs a day while artist B gives me 5.
    Also when using Photo textures, the idea is to make sure it doesn't come out looking like a cut and paste job, the idea is to make it fit in and look natural. Photo's tend to be very detailed so you have to bring the rest of your picture up to that level of detail or drop the Photo's level down to the rest of the painting, this will blend the two much more convincingly.

Anyway, about your painting. I think your practice with the value studies and black and whites is paying off, the comp and set up in some of your latest pic's read much better.
    Good job, keep improving and keep building up that mileage.

Art is never finished, only abandoned. -Leonardo da Vinci

The worst evil which can befall the artist is that his work should appear good in his own eyes. -Leonardo da Vinci

It is ill to praise, and worse to blame, the thing which you do not understand. -Leonardo da Vinci

Courage is not the absence of fear, it is the presence of fear, yet the will to go on. -Martin Lawrence

Revenge is not a valid motive, it is an emotional response, no, not vengeance, Punishment! -The Punisher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @JLamps Thanks.They are indeed paying off.

Here are two paintings I did today,completely from my imagination.

This is my own version of how I think Kat should have looked in the game.Decently dressed,polite,humble and always positive despite her troubled past.Here,her clothes look dull and washed out with a hood in order not to attract attention to herself.Her bag contains colored chalk sticks,markers and a sketchpad she uses to draw symbols/signs to guide Dante and lend strength to the efforts of The Order.
    Painted in GIMP.

Painted this to see how the studies I have been doing are paying off.Quite surprised with the results.Still need to get better.
    Painted with GIMP.

Last edited by melviso; March 7th, 2013 at 06:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did a paintover to correct the lighting,facial features and improve overall composition.

I think it looks better but still very far from perfect.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 5