Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Thanks

Concept Art Practica..

Hello all,
    I am currently trying to sharpen my skills in concept art design.So I am starting a thread where I would be posting my works.Critiques are very much welcome so I can improve.
    Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Did these recently:
    Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Need to practice more.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    You need to get rid of that ridiculous watermark because is so big and centered that is interfering with your composition and it's annoying your viewers. Put your sign or your watermark down to a corner an be sure to not do it too big, don't be worried about stealers because at this stage your work isn't ready to be sold and your skills is what the clients will hire you for in the future, skills cannot be stolen.

About the art itself you need to practice all the basics (perspective, anatomy, composition, drawing itself, ecc.) and when painting try to learn to blend colors when needed and define your shapes. Another thing that you need to correct is values, your values are too dark and there's no range, this makes your paintings very flat atm.

Anyway this is a very nice starting i can say.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for the critiques.Yep..I think blending will start with the next ones and trying to make sure the farther from the viewer,the lighter the value.
    More practice:
    Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Thanks
    Looking better!
    Like Hitsu said, you still need to work on your fundamentals.
    You should keep working on your values. It needs to be readable in black and white.
    The bottom one has some weird white blurry things near the corners...which looks a bit odd.
    I would try using a lower opacity brush to blend the colors more. Right now you have too many hard edges and not enough soft (You need both in a good piece).
    You seem to have a pretty good grasp of colors...so that's good.
    Keep practicing and keep posting!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aether Technician For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Also spend more time on your drawings, don't care about doing things fast when you're learning, especially with paintings because there is A LOT of stuff going on that you should know/learn so you can't rush if you want to be sure to remember anything you need. As Aether is saying you need to practice color blending with the digital medium so open a white canvas, draw a sphere and blend some smooth colors over it. Let us see your results

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @Aether Technician
    Thanks for the criticism,the white blurry stuff are clouds,I was trying to paint a futuristic city in the sky.Yep,will keep practicing.
    @ Hitsu//San
    I thought the same thing.I should take things slower and pay more attention on how to improve on the flaws.

I could only do one piece today cause I was busy.
    Concept Art Practica..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to melviso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Looks great, but not top line project great. I'd like to see if you make a piece with more defined rendering, but you have the basic shapes and scene creation down.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fhade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    well... not quite... it's the same camera angle and 1 point perspective in every piece...

Thanks
    @Fhade -Thanks..seriously working on that aspect.
    @Hitsu//San-U kinda have a point,I think for the next ones I am gonna do will have more complex forms,and FOV will be widder,scene would be more zoomed out.I was trying to work on how things look on closer inspection.As for the perspective,not all are one point,some are two like the snowy mountains,very dark green trees along road path,sunset with dark mountains/waterfall.I get what u mean.I have observed concept designers like feng zhu.Camera angles are usually simple so whoever is making use of it understands what is going on.What is important is the idea/design u are trying to get across,how workable is it,color pallete,story.How cool is it?I will try not to centralize my main features in my compositions.
    Don't worry.I will try to randomise camera angles,and put in more complex forms so it isn't repetitive..Thanks for the critique.
    New works-
    Not very pleased with this one-
    Concept Art Practica..
    Recent-
    Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Yep..kinda dreamt this one up.
    Concept Art Practica..

Thanks
    New works-Decided to name the art pieces so critics can make specific corrections to a particular one.

The Desert Takedown-
    Concept Art Practica..
    Water Waves-
    Concept Art Practica..

Blended the colors with soft brush with 16 - 22% opacity.Will try to use hard brush with opacity pressure on for blending,only problem is I have to press really hard to get the color I picked.What is the least opacity setting to avoid muddy colors?Any color blending technique suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks
    Muddy colors don't depend on opacity (nor any other magic brush setting as a lot of beginners believe when they are starting, including me some times ago), it's a problem of trait and color theory knowledge. About the camera angle is not a problem of variation as much as a problem of understanding, some cameras gives a certain feeling to a shot, some others are boring with the same shot... experience and knowledge will address this issue.

... and no, they are all 1 point perspective or not calculated ones. You should draw a grid and then boxes and simple shapes to create your composition before starting to paint because it's very hard to draw everything with a good perspective when you have to think about design, composition, values, shapes, colors and all of this stuff. I totally can't do that, even top tier artists can't do that if the perspective is complex, it's just too much stuff to think about. So make short steps and plan your workflow, you will be able to free your thinking so you can focus more on what's going on with your paintings.

Keep showing us your work you will improve a lot.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks,Hitsu.
    Could only paint one today.Started in black and white to test my value skills before adding color:

-Humanoid Queen.
    Concept Art Practica..

Last edited by melviso; November 13th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks
    For now,I will be posting stuff heavily focused on depth and perspective since that seems to be where my work is lacking.Will very much appreciate any feedback on the next works.

Decided to keep things simple till I get depth and perspective nailed down.

Could have done more but busy today-
    Concept Art Practica..
    I am wondering if there is a possibility my monitor screen settings are off.When I turn on color proof in ps,with monitor rgb in the proof setup.There is no change in screen brightness unless I use macintosh RGB.Thats means the screen settings are okay?
    But like someone pointed out ''colors are going to look different on all monitors that differ from yours.''So I guess I shouldn't worry about it and concentrate on improving.
    Did another paintover,think the previous one was washed out:
    Concept Art Practica..
    Is this one better?

Last edited by melviso; November 14th, 2012 at 09:44 PM.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1