Art: Concept Art Practica..

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept Art Practica..

Hello all,
    I am currently trying to sharpen my skills in concept art design.So I am starting a thread where I would be posting my works.Critiques are very much welcome so I can improve.
    Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Did these recently:
    Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Need to practice more.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to get rid of that ridiculous watermark because is so big and centered that is interfering with your composition and it's annoying your viewers. Put your sign or your watermark down to a corner an be sure to not do it too big, don't be worried about stealers because at this stage your work isn't ready to be sold and your skills is what the clients will hire you for in the future, skills cannot be stolen.

About the art itself you need to practice all the basics (perspective, anatomy, composition, drawing itself, ecc.) and when painting try to learn to blend colors when needed and define your shapes. Another thing that you need to correct is values, your values are too dark and there's no range, this makes your paintings very flat atm.

Anyway this is a very nice starting i can say.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the critiques.Yep..I think blending will start with the next ones and trying to make sure the farther from the viewer,the lighter the value.
    More practice:
    Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking better!
    Like Hitsu said, you still need to work on your fundamentals.
    You should keep working on your values. It needs to be readable in black and white.
    The bottom one has some weird white blurry things near the corners...which looks a bit odd.
    I would try using a lower opacity brush to blend the colors more. Right now you have too many hard edges and not enough soft (You need both in a good piece).
    You seem to have a pretty good grasp of colors...so that's good.
    Keep practicing and keep posting!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aether Technician For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also spend more time on your drawings, don't care about doing things fast when you're learning, especially with paintings because there is A LOT of stuff going on that you should know/learn so you can't rush if you want to be sure to remember anything you need. As Aether is saying you need to practice color blending with the digital medium so open a white canvas, draw a sphere and blend some smooth colors over it. Let us see your results

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Aether Technician
    Thanks for the criticism,the white blurry stuff are clouds,I was trying to paint a futuristic city in the sky.Yep,will keep practicing.
    @ Hitsu//San
    I thought the same thing.I should take things slower and pay more attention on how to improve on the flaws.

I could only do one piece today cause I was busy.
    Concept Art Practica..

11. The Following User Says Thank You to melviso For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great, but not top line project great. I'd like to see if you make a piece with more defined rendering, but you have the basic shapes and scene creation down.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Fhade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well... not quite... it's the same camera angle and 1 point perspective in every piece...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Fhade -Thanks..seriously working on that aspect.
    @Hitsu//San-U kinda have a point,I think for the next ones I am gonna do will have more complex forms,and FOV will be widder,scene would be more zoomed out.I was trying to work on how things look on closer inspection.As for the perspective,not all are one point,some are two like the snowy mountains,very dark green trees along road path,sunset with dark mountains/waterfall.I get what u mean.I have observed concept designers like feng zhu.Camera angles are usually simple so whoever is making use of it understands what is going on.What is important is the idea/design u are trying to get across,how workable is it,color pallete,story.How cool is it?I will try not to centralize my main features in my compositions.
    Don't worry.I will try to randomise camera angles,and put in more complex forms so it isn't repetitive..Thanks for the critique.
    New works-
    Not very pleased with this one-
    Concept Art Practica..
    Recent-
    Concept Art Practica..

Concept Art Practica..

Yep..kinda dreamt this one up.
    Concept Art Practica..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New works-Decided to name the art pieces so critics can make specific corrections to a particular one.

The Desert Takedown-
    Concept Art Practica..
    Water Waves-
    Concept Art Practica..

Blended the colors with soft brush with 16 - 22% opacity.Will try to use hard brush with opacity pressure on for blending,only problem is I have to press really hard to get the color I picked.What is the least opacity setting to avoid muddy colors?Any color blending technique suggestions will be really appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muddy colors don't depend on opacity (nor any other magic brush setting as a lot of beginners believe when they are starting, including me some times ago), it's a problem of trait and color theory knowledge. About the camera angle is not a problem of variation as much as a problem of understanding, some cameras gives a certain feeling to a shot, some others are boring with the same shot... experience and knowledge will address this issue.

... and no, they are all 1 point perspective or not calculated ones. You should draw a grid and then boxes and simple shapes to create your composition before starting to paint because it's very hard to draw everything with a good perspective when you have to think about design, composition, values, shapes, colors and all of this stuff. I totally can't do that, even top tier artists can't do that if the perspective is complex, it's just too much stuff to think about. So make short steps and plan your workflow, you will be able to free your thinking so you can focus more on what's going on with your paintings.

Keep showing us your work you will improve a lot.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks,Hitsu.
    Could only paint one today.Started in black and white to test my value skills before adding color:

-Humanoid Queen.
    Concept Art Practica..

Last edited by melviso; November 13th, 2012 at 06:57 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For now,I will be posting stuff heavily focused on depth and perspective since that seems to be where my work is lacking.Will very much appreciate any feedback on the next works.

Decided to keep things simple till I get depth and perspective nailed down.

Could have done more but busy today-
    Concept Art Practica..
    I am wondering if there is a possibility my monitor screen settings are off.When I turn on color proof in ps,with monitor rgb in the proof setup.There is no change in screen brightness unless I use macintosh RGB.Thats means the screen settings are okay?
    But like someone pointed out ''colors are going to look different on all monitors that differ from yours.''So I guess I shouldn't worry about it and concentrate on improving.
    Did another paintover,think the previous one was washed out:
    Concept Art Practica..
    Is this one better?

Last edited by melviso; November 14th, 2012 at 09:44 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not your monitor, it's you. I't pretty clear that you don't know color theory enough and your eyes are not used enough to perceive the right color. Anyway why are you using custom brushes to do a stupid sphere? You're complicating your life bud, this is going between you and your learning process... get rid of all the custom brushes and learn gradually to use the round brush. This will get rid of your blurry problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Histu san-Duly noted.

New works-
    Tribal Girl-
    Concept Art Practica..

Alien Invasion?
    Concept Art Practica..

Last edited by melviso; November 17th, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay..new update.Changed my monitor settings since I painted Tribal girl and I think I can focus better on my fundamentals.

Alien Exterminators-
    Concept Art Practica..
    For a good price,they will rid ur homes of alien infestation,hopefully without destroying ur home, that is.

Anatomy seems a little off but I was more concerned with trying to get lighting,reflected light,depth and perspective down.I think I should have played arouund with more colors.I think I will be doing my paintings in Black and white from now on.Then worry about colors later.

Last edited by melviso; November 18th, 2012 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New works.Did them in black and white first for value study before adding color.I think value is very very important,than color as I could experiment with different colors on a different layer over the detailed black and white.Value determines color,not the other way round,will do more of this.

Tournament Battle-
    Concept Art Practica..

Green Riding Hood-
    Concept Art Practica..

Critiques are overwelcomed.Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No critique?Guys,really need some input.
    Did this today to study color,light and shadows.:
    Color/Light Test-
    Concept Art Practica..

Last edited by melviso; November 20th, 2012 at 10:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    New art.More on Green Riding Hood-
    Concept Art Practica..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys,pls I need feedback.Am I improving or still making some major mistakes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are still making mistakes, do you know how to control values? Even the perspective is still not working (or you are not setting up you perspective and camera when starting a drawing).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes you're still making mistakes. OK, do more of those sphere under light things, preferably with some reference.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It won't work because he will not know on what contest that kind of exercise will teach him how to separate stuff in distance by values.

(BTW maybe he can figure out now that i'm telling it, we'll see)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In order to improve your values you could try illustrating only in black and white, much easier to check those values this way

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys,after reading ur comments,I decided to do this-
    Concept Art Practica..
    Is this correct or wrong?lets say my character in the foreground is wearing a desaturated green shirt,someone in the background is wearing a dark green shirt,are u saying,I would have to make the guy in the background shirt more desaturated than the shirt in the foreground?

Works I did earlier-
    Concept Art Practica..
    Tournament battle-
    Concept Art Practica..
    I will try to take my time with each piece.

Last edited by melviso; November 22nd, 2012 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Saturation it's a consequence of distance and not a value. Values are in the black and white scale. When you're using colors saturation goes down depending on how much light there is in the scene and how far is the color that's reflecting towards you and how much atmosphere there is between you and the color. Unless you start studying color theory and advanced color theory you can't understand those process just because i told you. You should focus on black and white until you grasp value separation anyway because it's one of the most important aspects in visual communication.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay there's some serious effort here I think. Checked a couple of days ago this was only 1 post. If you've done all this in this timespan then your head is in the right place for this kind of work

I would suggest that, for your paintings, you draw your subjects out with line before painting. I'm not talking about making a composition with line and then just painting over it.
    Do your thumbnails, pick one, draw it with rough line, then clean that line out, with lineweight and everything. Do it good enough so that you could show the piece as a line drawing. Then paint it. This helped me a lot. Having a concrete drawing with all the details and designs figured out before painting means that you can then just paint away without worrying about messing up perspective or making up the wrong kind of details. It becomes a matter of simply sitting in front of the screen for 8-20 hours to finish up your piece.

Sure, some people can outright paint and make a really cool painting out of it. Those people usually are hardcore industry professionals, or art geniuses that will die of cancer! .. Just kidding lol. I just get too jealous of those dudes sometimes.

Anyway since you're working that hard it shouldn't be a problem for you to give my method a try. If it doesn't work, you can just call me an idiot and I'll quietry bow my head and aporogize.

cheers!

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On a sidenote, and this is more a personal thing, a lot of people won't agree with me.

If I were you, I'd remove the signatures from my art completely, or put really really really tiny ones on the bottom if I absolutely must. The reason for this is because well, I'm sure you'll agree, your art is not professional level yet. You are learning yes, but when people look at your work, they probably won't think you are a professional. And then you have a pretty big signature in there, which makes you look like you're looking for attention. Like I said, that's just my opinion.
    On the same note however, once you do reach the professional level, and you have so much work on the internet with your signature on it, you run the risk of your clients 'bumping into' your earlier work and thinking 'oh this guy might not be so pro after all'. Just a thing to keep in mind. I hope I didn't come across as arrogant or aggressive. I'm only interested in being a useful human!

Over and out.

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Vak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha i agree with the sign thing, it was a giant signature on the page the last week so it's already a step forward... People tend to value a lot his own efforts and wants to be recognized for that, especially young people or starters. It's better to put a date on it anyway because it helps a lot to keep tracking of your progression.

The drawing thing it's just because it's hard to think about colors composition values and Design at the same time, it's not that kind level of hard that you say ok it's hard but i can do hard stuff... no... it's that kind of hard that can make you do advanced maths on your head, multitasking and a giant memory... you need to train a lot to be able to do it, mostly it's because with training it comes experience and repetition so the major part of it becomes natural repetition and you don't need to think about what you're doing anymore... so Vak don't envy people that can do it right now ^^ if you train hard enough it will become automatic.

The design part it's the most important and in my opinion can't be mixed with painting (or drawing a landscape or action scene) because they are two very different things. That's a huge mistake done very often by a lot of artists at any level, the vast majority of artists that makes their subject always the same it's because they don't separate design from painting (i know that because i am at the opposite side, if i don't do design for my characters or environments and i'll start drawing them as they go in most of the cases they look crappy and generic, actually if i have to do that i cheat doing face, lighting or small details that draw attention so the other crappy stuff become secondary but that's experience).

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Hitsu//San For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Hitsu San
    I agree with ya,will focus on value for now.Kinda unhappy I am still making the same mistakes.The problem is trying to focus on all these fundamentals while trying to get down the idea u have in ur head.Sometimes,it comes out crappy like Alien Exterminators.So if I do a piece,after I get the design down,then I will check if depth,value,perpective,lighting,anatomy are correct.Problem is I start battling with colors when I start tweaking these fundamentals because I am probably trying to break away from how I paint or create pieces since they are wrong.Practice will probably solve this.
    @Vak
    Its really cool hearing from u.I have seen ur work on feng zhu design blog.I am sure u are one of the really good students there.About the signature,I am not trying to get attention, its about protecting my idea/design.I know I am not at a professional level(hence the persistent hardwork to get better) but anyone can get the idea,or concept I am trying to get across.There is a possibility of someone stealing ur idea/concept even if it isn't professional as far as the idea itself is cool or brillant.I had a situation where I sent some portfolio pieces to a game studio.They were working on a new IP.Back then,my art wasn't as good as this but could get the idea across.The pieces centered on a guy and girl.The guy was a brute mecenary and the girl was very good at hacking,hi tech stuff.They were trying to get out of an area and they needed to get access to a scientist/research specialist.I am thinking its just coincidence but when details of the IP came out,there was a girl in it with hacking abilities.When I think back now,its probably coincidence and I don't regret sending those pieces.If someone comes across my old work if I get to professional level,I don't think its anything to worry about.The signature links to my deviantart page.When I get pro,I will probably get a more serious portfolio site.Besides,da has dates on the art uploaded and I think it says a lot to leave them up cause it will inspire other new starters and will also show prospective clients of how hard u worked to get to ur current level and u have nothing to hide.Likewise,my postings here also shows date so I don't think its a problem.Will make signature tiny in the next pieces.Nope,u don't come across as arrogant or anything.U are being constructive in ur criticism.Thanks.
    Did this today,hopefully better in value?-

Concept Art Practica..

I hope to be better than u guys by December(dead serious)Mwahahaha!!!.Pls,don't give on me yet.

Btw,I have noticed some ppl create artworks that are heavily laced with textures and photo crops,some use mostly photo crops and mash them together and call it concept art.One can't even see the hand of the artist and ppl commend such works.Isn't that cheating or lacking originality?What are clients views on this compared to one who paints everything from scratch.Personally,I think textures are okay but not too much of it that the hand of the artist/style is lost.But Photos?I remember Feng Zhu saying the client doesn't care.But if I am a client,I will definitely have a problem paying the same amount as someone who does everything with brush strokes puts in more work than slapping on photos and textures and calling it done.

Last edited by melviso; November 23rd, 2012 at 09:37 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2