Creative problem solving
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Creative problem solving

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Creative problem solving

This might be a silly question, and somewhat new but So I know that for concept art, problem solving is important part. Is there any way I can evolve my problem solving skills? I mean like any exercises, practices I can do? Or does it just depend on how much knowledge you have... Srry if this is confusing. If there's any links or other threads about please post. But I have been reading stuff at the link below I think it has some insight on problem solving, but I just want to know what you all think and how to improve. Thank you

This is the site.
    http://www.mindtools.com/pages/artic...ivity-quiz.htm

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmmm,

Clever spammer?

I say YES!

I'm not clicking his link. . .

What d'ya think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I didn't even think of the spammer thing. It is getting late here though.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes...the primary skill in any design discipline is creative problem solving. It is a difficult thing to excercise and develop however, because it is very abstract. My advice is to expose yourself to as much material as possible related to the project at hand...and try to think creatively about what else might not obviously relate...but could. Like say you're designing a tank for technology 50 years from now to fight on Mars...so look at tons of tanks...WWI...modern...read Hammer's Slammers...look at stealth naval ships...look at battleships...look at caterpillars...look at centipedes...turtles...Buckminster Fuller...etc. Let ideas lead you in interesting directions.

Beyond that I would recommend researching creativity theory, there are a few "gurus" out there on practical creative problem solving. Here's a start: Creative Whack Pack. Here's another - this guy came and led a seminar for us while I was at EA: Conceptual Blockbusting. There are a few more leads in the other suggestetd books.

Edit: Don't think it's a spammer...that's a legitimate site that comes up with a "creative problem solving" search.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I always kinda wince when I here the term "creative!"

Thanks Jeff!

I'll get around to checking out the link. This might just be an interesting thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Yes...the primary skill in any design discipline is creative problem solving. It is a difficult thing to excercise and develop however, because it is very abstract. My advice is to expose yourself to as much material as possible related to the project at hand...and try to think creatively about what else might not obviously relate...but could. Like say you're designing a tank for technology 50 years from now to fight on Mars...so look at tons of tanks...WWI...modern...read Hammer's Slammers...look at stealth naval ships...look at battleships...look at caterpillars...look at centipedes...turtles...Buckminster Fuller...etc. Let ideas lead you in interesting directions.

Beyond that I would recommend researching creativity theory, there are a few "gurus" out there on practical creative problem solving. Here's a start: Creative Whack Pack. Here's another - this guy came and led a seminar for us while I was at EA: Conceptual Blockbusting. There are a few more leads in the other suggestetd books.

Edit: Don't think it's a spammer...that's a legitimate site that comes up with a "creative problem solving" search.
    Thank you, so basically just a lot if researching on that particular project. Ty I'll also do research for creativity theory.y drawings are alright, it's just the whole problem solving process that I need to work on.
    Oh and that link wasn't suppose to be spam, it's just a site that I found about problem
    Solving. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sparksfly076 View Post
    This might be a silly question, and somewhat new but So I know that for concept art, problem solving is important part. Is there any way I can evolve my problem solving skills? I mean like any exercises, practices I can do? Or does it just depend on how much knowledge you have... Srry if this is confusing. If there's any links or other threads about please post. But I have been reading stuff at the link below I think it has some insight on problem solving, but I just want to know what you all think and how to improve. Thank you

This is the site.
    http://www.mindtools.com/pages/artic...ivity-quiz.htm
    problem solving is important part of life in general lol.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to creeptool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is big part of the illustration classes I teach. I believe it is at the core of good illustration and moves work beyond surface flash into powerful.

Try giving yourself assignments with limitations. Things like express an emotion or combine a noun with an adjective then limit the tools you can use. No faces or facial expressions to create sadness or a happy tree. Could you do it with limited narrative using formal tools like composition, value, etc.? How about combining random words with random narratives. There are a lot of potential assignments that you can give to yourself to stretch those brain muscles. Of course one of the most important things is to expose yourself to creativity. Learn to ask questions about excellent artwork and work on reading pictures like you would read words. Make yourself uncomfortable. Try news things.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Alice Herring For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1