Politics Are Drama Queens good Teachers?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon Are Drama Queens good Teachers?

It seems as though when you get a Drama Queen teacher they want to control your questions and belittle you when you make mistakes. Recently I encountered an older instructor in their 70's and I could ask questions freely about art and we would just simply acknowledge an error and go on.....no drama.

Do you prefer the so called discipline of a drama queen instructor or the casual absorption of knowledge by one that is significantly older, been through it, and doesn't care to throw a temper tantrums?

By the way, you guys in your 20's and 30's instructors....you're volatile SOB's. You probably won't know it till you get older.

My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I read some things about Fred Fixler, he sounds like he was quite a character and his students loved him and learned a lot. I imagine that this really depends on the individual. Are they cranky and persnickety for some reason involving ego and amusing themselves, or are they a teacher that wants to motivate you to be the best and get really good really fast.

Full disclosure, I have never been to art school. I have heard the stories of the kinds of teachers you are referencing. One of those things, I know I would thrive under a teacher like Fred Fixler or his former students that are teaching now. The other kind I would just be dismissive of and probably wouldn't learn much from them. The art of teaching and being a good coach applies I guess.

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Listen here mister! I'm a teacher in my 30's and I do not like your attitude one bit! Don't take that tone with me! I bust my ass every day for you and what do I get? Do I get a thank you? Excuse me, who just worked all last weekend correcting your tests? - which you all failed! God, I'm getting another migraine.

In all seriousness, we all have teachers we connect with, and those we don't, those we respect, and those we don't. It's hit or miss, and sometime you can point blame. Sometimes you can't. Sometimes a relationship breaks down because a moose sneezed in Alaska, or a percieved slight popped up inadvertantly. A lot of it has to do with wavelengths. I'm always amazed when I come across someone who's not on mine, that someone's thinking could be so alien to my own. And yet it happens all the time.

Good luck man, education is usually a solitary activity. Don't let schooling interfere with it, or let it screw up your mood.

EDIT: Some old geezers give the best tantrums. It always brings a smile to my face.

EDIT 2: School is mostly where we learn to put up with bullshit and make people happy. I wonder why that's useful? Oh, that's right, that's the only facet of school that reflects reality.

Last edited by TASmith; November 6th, 2012 at 01:54 PM. Reason: um, trying to be funny?

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,516 Times in 2,456 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    great post

sb most art copied to page 1
    Weapons of Mass Creation 2011 ::: Add your favourites!
    facebook: Alface Killah

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Velocity Kendall For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,376 Times in 3,597 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    TASmith I made my 11yo read your post. He did it in dramatic form.

And now he wishes he was called Velocity.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,555 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by NoSeRider View Post
    It seems as though when you get a Drama Queen teacher they want to control your questions and belittle you when you make mistakes. Recently I encountered an older instructor in their 70's and I could ask questions freely about art and we would just simply acknowledge an error and go on.....no drama.
    I have no idea what you're talking about. I WISH I had one of those, at least just once.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.