Displaying concept art in a gallery space copyright question
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Displaying concept art in a gallery space copyright question

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Displaying concept art in a gallery space copyright question

Hi,
    I have an idea for my final project for my Masters in curating. The idea is that I would take some gallery space at my local Museum or Church (as they have a gallery space) and divide the space with pieces of concept art from four popular games with a VDU in the middle showing trailers of the end product that came from the concept art. Now this is just an initial idea and I want to check if their would be a copyright issue. I have found this link http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ40.pdf which says to publicly display art and concept art may not infringe copyright but I am not sure and I though some of you guys on here would know and point me in the right direction. I would appreciate it if you could help and direct me to any links. If there is a copyright issue I will write to the game studios of the game art I want to display and see if I can get permission for any. Finally I would just like to add I'm from the UK but I believe our laws on copyright are the same as in the US.

Cheers, Chris

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think anyone will get up in arms about displaying some work as long as it's not for sale. If I were doing it I would send a courtesy email and if someone really had an objection they would let you know. Most of these things are posted somewhere and so publicity is a good thing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bcarman For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Bill but at the same time I wouldn't put together a very major show without permission from the various studios. If it's a minor kind of thing, like you're showing how you would conceive and arrange a show as a curator - but this is really just a weekend portfolio review then I wouldn't worry about it.

One possible bonus with contact and permission is assistance with various marketing materials that could make your exhibit that much more professional.

Good luck!

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The problem will come from trying to make prints of copyright or trademarked work. Most print companies will ask if the work is yours and if it isn't most won't print it for you.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.