potentilla indica
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: potentilla indica

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

potentilla indica

Hello!
    This is one of my botanical ATCs, a false strawberry (potentilla indica). Medium is watercolors on paper, format is ATC format (6,4x8,9cm). I'm always trying to improve, so... I'd be glad for any helpful advice.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Eller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the drawing and composition! You've got some very nice detail considering the small size (ATCs are baseball card size, right?) Please consider the following as commentary moreso than criticism:

I think that, as a picture, it works well, but as an accurate picture of false strawberry, it is a little lacking. Your foliage looks almost translucent, and the color of the fruit seems muted relative to the foliage, while in real life this plant has intensely colored fruit and foliage that is somewhat subdued, slightly waxy (and therefore reflective), and unicolored (the veins do not contrast with the blade of the leaf).

So, I think you must decide if you are more interested in a botanical illustration, where accuracy is the primum desideratum, or making a pretty picture based on a particular plant. Of course, both options are equally valid, but I would think that if you are going to draw a relatively obscure weedy plant like false strawberry, you would be more interested in the botanical illustration side of things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is nice, and lovely detail for something so small.

I like that the main strawberry is off center but I think you could get away with making it bigger so that it stands out more. At the moment it's getting lost amongst all the green.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.