Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Tablet PC's discussion

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Tablet PC's discussion

So, drawing with a stylus on all these new Windows 8 tablets.
    I'm having a hard time finding much info about what the drawing experience is like with all the new releases.
    Lenovo thinkpad 2, ideapad yoga, samsung ativ smart PC pro, acer w700, dell xps 12, hp envyx2, etc, and all others I'm forgetting.
    Even other options like all in one PCs (dell xps one 27, sony tap 20, etc).

Anything that can be drawn directly on to the screen.

Whenever I go on to google, I can find endless lists of hands on reviews and such for these devices but none of them talk about what it's like to draw on them.
    If you either own one, or manage to have a go on one, can you post what the experience was like here?
    I think it would be very handy to have all this info in one place.
    A lot of us want to get Wacom cintiq substitutes, but now there's so many options, it's really confusing.

Thanks in advance!

PS: Sorry if something similar to this thread has already been made- I couldn't find it!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know that tablets like the Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet 2, Samsung Ativ Smart PC and Asus Vivo Tab, which are all Powered by the New Intel Atom Processor, have a Wacom Digitizer! And as they have the full Windows 8 Version, you can run x86 software on it.

The question right now is tho, how well the New Atom CPU holds up and if we can run software like ArtRage, SketchBook Pro on it With adequate performance.
    I know software like PhotoShop and Painter might be a far stretch.... altho maybe an older Version of these two might actually run well on these tablets.

The Atom Powered tablets are also in a more affordable range, while the fully fledge Core i3/i5/i7 tablets run almost all over the 1000 dollars.

The Acer Iconia W700 tablet has a great price, but it doesn't have a Wacom Digitizer build in. :-(

I myself I am very interested in the Samsung Ativ Smart PC. Saw it in the store today and the S-Pen worked great in Notes and Paint (just to test out responsiveness).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Be carefull with windows 8, some are the RT version and you can't install your "normal" version software on it, you need to go to the Microsoft store and buy a compatible RT version. I'm not sure Atom device (asus vivo tab, Samsung Ativ 500T Smart PC for example) have a full windows 8 OS, I read a few review with the RT version so be carefull while buying/trying

I have no idea if Adobe or other company plan on a system that could use the key we have for desktop version to make a RT version run, I would be borred to buy two time the same software so I just hope we will have an option, or at least cheap price...

Hope some of you can test the atom cpu models... I'm interested by the "pro" samsung ativ, but here in my small land we have absolutely no shops that propose them -_- they are out of stock, unavailable or coming soon... Sigh...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffonnage View Post
    Be carefull with windows 8, some are the RT version and you can't install your "normal" version software on it, you need to go to the Microsoft store and buy a compatible RT version. I'm not sure Atom device (asus vivo tab, Samsung Ativ 500T Smart PC for example) have a full windows 8 OS, I read a few review with the RT version so be carefull while buying/trying

I have no idea if Adobe or other company plan on a system that could use the key we have for desktop version to make a RT version run, I would be borred to buy two time the same software so I just hope we will have an option, or at least cheap price...

Hope some of you can test the atom cpu models... I'm interested by the "pro" samsung ativ, but here in my small land we have absolutely no shops that propose them -_- they are out of stock, unavailable or coming soon... Sigh...
    Samsung Ativ Tab has an ARM CPU and thus runs Windows RT.

The Samsung Ativ Smart PC and Smart PC Pro have Intel CPU's and run Windows 8 (Pro) and thus can run Legacy x86 programs.

You can easily see which tablets run Windows RT and which run Windows 8. Tablets With an ARM CPU (NVidia Tegra / Qualcom / etc) run Windows RT and Tablets With an Intel CPU ( Atom / Core i3, i5, i7) run Windows 8.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuillermoBarrancos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for this precision !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was actually considering the Surface tablet as apposed to the Samsung 10.1 note. Any thoughts
    on this? I only heard is that the Surface does not have pressure sensitivity where the Samsung
    does.

I like the fact of drawing on the screen as if I was drawing in a real sketchbook; as apposed to
    some Watcom tabs...were you draw on the tab but have to look on the screen to see what's
    going on...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeanimator View Post
    I was actually considering the Surface tablet as apposed to the Samsung 10.1 note. Any thoughts
    on this? I only heard is that the Surface does not have pressure sensitivity where the Samsung
    does.

I like the fact of drawing on the screen as if I was drawing in a real sketchbook; as apposed to
    some Watcom tabs...were you draw on the tab but have to look on the screen to see what's
    going on...
    True. The Microsoft Surface does not have a Wacom Digitizer and the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 does.
    But Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 runs Android and right now there are not that many great drawing programs available compared to iOS and Windows platform.
    You got Sketchbook Pro for Android, but that one is a little underdeveloped, less features and a bit buggy.

In the New Year tho, Microsoft is going to release the Surface Pro tablet, that runs Windows 8 Pro and that one will have a Wacom Digitizer.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GuillermoBarrancos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroKane View Post
    In the New Year tho, Microsoft is going to release the Surface Pro tablet, that runs Windows 8 Pro and that one will have a Wacom Digitizer.
    Ehm, no. It's definitely not wacom technology. The Surface Pro pen has a rechargable battery, Wacom Pens are powered by the tablet itself. MS is probably using this tech: http://www.perceptivepixel.com/products/active-stylus.

Well have to wait for reviews to see if it can compete, It'll be my first choice if so.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf3d View Post
    Im going to buy the ativ smart pc pro in 15 days or so. Its powerfull and its wacom 1024
    Quote Originally Posted by bahferretboy View Post
    Can you use any stylus with a stylus enabled tablet? Or do you need to use the one it comes with? (Apparently the ativ pro stylus is quite small)
    You should take the pressure levels with a pinch of salt. The Smart PC Pro is still using old Wacom Tablet PC Tech with 256 pressure levels. The 1024 are just interpolated digitally. The good news though: you can use any wacom tablet pc pen.

Last edited by Zelzaan; November 29th, 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelzaan View Post
    Ehm, no. It's definitely not wacom technology. The Surface Pro pen has a rechargable battery, Wacom Pens are powered by the tablet itself. MS is probably using this tech: http://www.perceptivepixel.com/products/active-stylus.

Well have to wait for reviews to see if it can compete, It'll be my first choice if so.
    That is actually very interesting! Would be about time that Wacom gets "real" competition! So prices can come Down a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeroKane View Post
    That is actually very interesting! Would be about time that Wacom gets "real" competition! So prices can come Down a bit.
    Don't hold your breath. For the longest time, Wacom has had compeition....the competition just offers really sub-par performance. N-trig for example, their Pen and Touch Digitizer Combo is not only Cheaper but uses less Battery Power from the tablet since the pen itself has a battery. No mind the performance is crap in comparison, but for the likes of upcoming HP Elitepad and the Sony Vio Duo 11....they still opted for N-trig...and Wacom couldn't care less. Their bread and butter is the Intuos/Cintiqs/Bamboos.......the Tablet PC market is at the bare bottom of their concerns.

You would need a company that could create a pen digitizier at least equal in performance to Wacoms or better....but also cheaper and easier to configure. If its the same price....they'd just go with Wacom since their allready established as the industry standard.

And to go even further, since Windows 8 has ushered in a new age of Touch Screen Desktops and non-tablet touch-Laptops....if you could get them to employ the same pen tech on a 21 or 23 inch Desktop monitor rig with full pressure support....or even better....the Eternally rumored Touch Screen iMacs...if they were to ever come...with full pen support to boot....I'm pretty sure that would make Wacom Tremble.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The best place I've found for user reviews of tablet PCs is here:

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/

Some of the new machines have reviews there now. Not everyone there is looking for drawing tools, but quite a few are, and most people at least review the handwriting experience.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to panicbear For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JeroKane, that's great about the Surface pro having a wacom digitiser. I've tried to look this information up many times, but could never find any confirmation on it. This fills me with a good bit of hope
    Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bahferretboy View Post
    JeroKane, that's great about the Surface pro having a wacom digitiser. I've tried to look this information up many times, but could never find any confirmation on it. This fills me with a good bit of hope
    Thanks
    It was mentioned during one of the Conferences I believe, but unfortunately it hasn't been 100% confirmed yet by Microsoft. I still keep my fingers crossed that Microsoft licensed Wacom and not trying to reinvent the Wheel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know...if the "Samsung ATIV Smart PC Pro 700T 11.6" " already runs Windows 8 and has the Wacom digitizer...then why look
    any further....except for maybe the price point...1500.00...ouch!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im going to buy the ativ smart pc pro in 15 days or so. Its powerfull and its wacom 1024
    I have been reading a lot of opinions about it. I hear that pen is having problems near the borders of the screen. I have to experience that myself before buying it.
    Also I read some complains about the plastic cheap keyboard and awfull balance when plugged in. (I dont mind that, I plan on using it by pen)
    Still I think is the most powerfull one and Ill like to run zbrush as well as photoshop so this one seems best chioce for me.
    btw, yes it runs windows 8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just been reading up about the ativ smart pc pro- shame about the issues with the keyboard and s-pen. Would have been sold on it, if it wernt for those!
    I am starting to get quite interested by the xps 12. Will have to look up some reviews on it, when it's released (around the 5th december I believe).

Can you use any stylus with a stylus enabled tablet? Or do you need to use the one it comes with? (Apparently the ativ pro stylus is quite small)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alf3d, let us know what you think about the tablet when/if you get it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't forget to check out the Genius graphic tablets. They are solid, well made tablets that are, in my opinion as good as the Wacom tablets, except they are much cheaper.

iven is offline Animator/ Eco-artist/ Caricaturist Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation PC- Tablet 4 Flash animations!

Hi there, I am interested in a PC tablet too, I just need to run Flash, Photoshop etc.
    But people warned me from the ASUS brand that flash works not well.

I might have some other usefull informations/videos in this thread:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...-for-Animators

I still didn't decided, can anybody tell me something like YEAH I got flash on it
    and it works fine something like that I want to read.

Thaaanks

Sketchbook - . Showreal - . Commission me - .

*critique* advice* help full links, is appreciated*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guys, it's time to get excited. Seems like i was mistaken, just saw this in the tabletpcreview.com forum:

http://www.wacom.com/products/stylus/bamboo-stylus-feel

Wacom feel IT technology works exclusively with sensors embedded beneath the screen in many of today’s cutting-edge tablets, like the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, the Microsoft Surface Proand the ASUS Slate, among others. Bamboo Stylus feel is precise and pressure-sensitive. It’s a stylus with a thin tip that feels and performs like a premium pen.
    If that's not a mistake, were getting Wacom for the Surface Pro, that nails it for me.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Zelzaan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry to burst your Bubble Thegriffman

But ITS WACOM

http://www.wacom.com/products/stylus/bamboo-stylus-feel

"Wacom feel IT technology works exclusively with sensors embedded beneath the screen in many of today’s cutting-edge tablets, like the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, the Microsoft Surface Pro and the ASUS Slate, among others. Bamboo Stylus feel is precise and pressure-sensitive. It’s a stylus with a thin tip that feels and performs like a premium pen."

This isn't anything new per say....Wacom is just repackaging its Tablet PC Penabled Brand of Pens as "Feel it"

But this is confirmation that Wacom will be in the Surface Pro. For me this a boon, since it now kind of garantees my purchase of the Pro.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to darkmagistric For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by darkmagistric View Post
    Sorry to burst your Bubble Thegriffman

But ITS WACOM
    Not sure if my bubble is burst quite yet. I'd like to see some Microsoft confirmation of this, since the Surface Pro demo said that the pen was powered, and being un-powered is kinda Wacom's signature. Are you positive "Feel it" is the same as the old Penabled, and not something that lets the pens work with non-Wacom digitizers?

Not that it being Wacom technology would be bad news or anything - it just doesn't seem to all add up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if it's a good new or not... since wacom doesn't improve the tablet pc digitizer and stick with the 256 pressure point, I was full of hope learning about the perspective pixel because the market always need competition, but if it's finally wacom, it will be 256 pp again ? Or maybe a hacked frameware that end with "false" 1024 pp... Aaaah hope all of these tablets will come soon in Belgium, can't wait to test !

Oh, by the way here is a strange thing :

list of compatible device :

Fujitsu Lifebook T902 Tablet PC
    Fujitsu Lifebook T732 Tablet PC
    Samsung Galaxy Note 1 Smartphone
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Slate
    ErenEben T6 Slate
    Dell Latitude 10 Tablet PC

Where are samsung 700T and 500T ? Asus 810 ? Some other wacom digitizer device are missing...

Last edited by Griffonnage; December 4th, 2012 at 05:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The list of compatible devices is clearly not complete.

But they all use the exact same digitizer so the "Feel It" pens will be compatible with all Penabled Tablet PCs and vice versa. If it works with the Galaxy Note 10.1 it will be just as cross compatable with the surface pro or any other Tablet PC.

My only issue with the "Feel it" Pens is that they don't appear to have Erasers....which is kind of dumb, since thats the one feature Wacoms few compeitors can't seem to copy.

And as for all the previous "In development" builds that had a battery pen.....the stage from a Development Build to the actual release is long and things can change.

Maybe the Perspective Pixel Pen was the plan...but the performance just wasn't there yet and needed more time..so they ditched it out for Wacom. Maybe the "Next" gen Surface Pro will use PP instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone here getting a Surface Pro on day 1 then? If so, let us know what it's like
    (and youtube videos if possible)

getting excited now.. no confirmed date, but it's around or about 3, maybe 4 weeks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, if "perspective pixel" is no more for Surface pro, I hope we will learn more about it next year ! What about a big sized screen with it (like the one from the demonstration video)? Yes I'm dreaming, but honestly that would be so great !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm excited about the Surface Pro.... If it has Perceptive Pixel, awesome. If Wacom, great. Now about those Atom Clovertrail tablets... I bought the Samsung ATIV 500 and sent it back for refund after about a week. Inking was acceptably smooth on SBP6 and Painter 12, but controls (brush resizing, pinch zoom etc) very laggy and IMO unusable. Other than that, as a general tablet, i liked both it and Windows 8.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorj_X_McKie View Post
    I'm excited about the Surface Pro.... If it has Perceptive Pixel, awesome. If Wacom, great. Now about those Atom Clovertrail tablets... I bought the Samsung ATIV 500 and sent it back for refund after about a week. Inking was acceptably smooth on SBP6 and Painter 12, but controls (brush resizing, pinch zoom etc) very laggy and IMO unusable. Other than that, as a general tablet, i liked both it and Windows 8.
    Hmmm - I notice that now the Wacom site no longer lists the Surface Pro. I wonder why that is - is it something they are not ready to announce? Or might it be PP after all?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    > Or might it be PP after all?

Yesh! I've seen reference to its need for charging... that isn't the Wacom that we are all familiar with.

I think someone I know just picked up the Sony Duo 11... If so, I'll report back. I like that one enough to possibly buy myself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm - I notice that now the Wacom site no longer lists the Surface Pro. I wonder why that is - is it something they are not ready to announce? Or might it be PP after all?
    Oh my ! You're right, I searched too and found nothing... Maybe someone make a mistake on their website... Surface pro will still be a mystery until the end !

Jorj_X_McKie > Waiting for your impression about it !

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 17