Sketchbook: this is square one - giving drawing a shot and see where it takes me

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

this is square one - giving drawing a shot and see where it takes me

I never took art seriously even in school mainly because I never believed I could ever come close to the stuff artist do on a regular basis so why even try I used to say. I'm gonna work at it now, and see where it takes me if anywhere. I like manga so you might see me heading that direction, but I will try to focus on realistic things.

here are a couple I done after watching youtube tutorals., bad lighting and camera (no scanner), it doesnt matter because they arent any good anyway:

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by logitex; November 6th, 2012 at 03:55 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome! And looks like a pretty good start actually :0 How much time are you willing to spend on drawing? :p You got a long roads ahead xD But keep at it and you'll get there pretty quickly

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks I hope i dont give up, I will just treat this as something fun and not work or else I might abandon it. Here are two others i just done quickly based on pictures in a newspaper:

Last edited by logitex; November 6th, 2012 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mm good idea to take it slowly at first, but i'm gonna challenge you to ramp it up a little every week
    Looks like you have a bit of trouble with the hands in these ones , do you know any way to simplify hands? :0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great start! think of figures as giant block robots. not a unit, but many components and parts for each limb. check out posemaniacs.com for thier 30s gesture drawing thing, a great warm up excercise!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Where are the updates dude?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raymond Luk View Post
    Where are the updates dude?
    oops, I was slacking off a little, been drawing some stuff once every couple of days though so im still at it. The posemaniacs.com is cool, but man is the 30 sec thing harder than it looks, I thought gesture drawing was something that I could easily do.

Alright, most of these are my attempts at gesture drawing 30 sec, I failed so hard, then there is a pic of a couple from tv and then some sketchy concept art from a dream i had. Yea i have trouble with the hands, but then again i have trouble with every limb so I'll just learn how to do fingers later since I don't see them as a vital component. There is a ton of stuff I drew that i dont upload, this is just a selection to give you and me an idea of what im up to.

Last edited by logitex; November 19th, 2012 at 02:59 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to logitex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yes, gestures are difficult, so don't be discouraged and keep at it! One thing that might help you if you find the time limit tough at first, is to start with a skeleton-like stick figure, that would allow you to concentrate on proportions and pose and ignore the rest until you feel comfortable with those.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Olooriel View Post
    Oh yes, gestures are difficult, so don't be discouraged and keep at it! One thing that might help you if you find the time limit tough at first, is to start with a skeleton-like stick figure, that would allow you to concentrate on proportions and pose and ignore the rest until you feel comfortable with those.
    okay ill do that, this might seem like a weird question but ive seen different skeletons people use, which is prefered? Any good site or youtube video that teaches that skeleton part? The drawing class taught me that upside down triangle for torso and upright triangle for the waist, which I find only works when drawing women. Just seeing other threads, there is this shield-like chests for example.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by logitex View Post
    okay ill do that, this might seem like a weird question but ive seen different skeletons people use, which is prefered? Any good site or youtube video that teaches that skeleton part? The drawing class taught me that upside down triangle for torso and upright triangle for the waist, which I find only works when drawing women. Just seeing other threads, there is this shield-like chests for example.
    The truth is people eventually develop their own skeletons based off of other artists they have studied. The Skeletons are really way to figure out how the body moves and stands, and are to help you with proportions. A lot of people are going to tell you study Hogarth, and Yes I do recommend him, but only for deep space, and action. Pretty much bodies in motion. I would ask you to look at my sketchbook and you can see how the use of a skeleton and anatomy studies can help with realism. I wish i had a picture of the modified skeleton I use, but again you need to study and develop your own.
    Break the body parts down into groups, and do muscle studies, and life studies. I use posemaniac myself, if the 30 seconds is too much give yourself more time.

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, welcome to CA! Nice start for your SB.
    You might find this useful for gestures, it's basically the Vilppu method:

Start with a higher time limit if 30'' is too little. You might want to study perspective, and do some drawings of everyday objects from observation. It'll help you lots.

Keep it coming!

"Great job guys! I love you. You're fired."

Sketchbook! Me vs Anatomy (and other things)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm for gestures, i'd say to try getting into some longer poses like 3 or 5 mins, and draw lightly with your pencil, only pressing down when you're sure of a line :0 The longer poses will allow you to observe how different body parts look when turned in space (torso, legs) and you can transfer these simplified shapes over to your 30 second gestures

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.