Art: Typography on t-shirt design - Crit?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Typography on t-shirt design - Crit?

This design is a slogan to go on a t-shirt for an improv troupe, with their logo on the other side.

I'd like to know which version seems better.

Name:  Highly-Suggestible1.png
Views: 685
Size:  6.0 KB

Name:  Highly-Suggestible2.png
Views: 613
Size:  6.0 KB

The main difference is that the thickness of 'HIGHLY' in the second version is more similar to the thickness of 'SUGGESTIBLE', and has less space between the letters, than the first version. It's subtle, but subtle matters in typography.

Pros of version 1:
    - Slightly easier to read, more space.
    - Lighter, which might give a feeling of 'high'.
    Con:
    - Looks slightly different from 'SUGGESTIBLE' (in thickness) but not enough that it looks intentional.

Pros of version 2:
    - More consistent thickness-wise.
    - Smaller gaps between letters might be preferable -- more t-shirt designy/blocky.
    Con:
    - Slightly busier.

Other info: 'SUGGESTIBLE' is in League Gothic, 'HIGHLY' is in Helvetica Bold which I stretched manually.

Other possible crits:
    - The 'S's in 'SUGGESTIBLE' should have their terminals made vertical, to fit better with Helvetica.
    - The 'G' of 'HIGHLY' in version1 could be cleaned up/smoothened out -- still slightly wobbly from the stretching.
    - Kerning of 'Y' in 'HIGHLY' in both is poor (maybe only decrease slightly for version2?).

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking version 2 is better.

Here's an updated version with better kerning, after I actually learnt about kerning. Before, I had in mind kerning was more about the distance between letters, rather than the overall whitespace distribution. Blurring the text (or squinting/taking off glasses) helps a lot. This game is great for learning kerning: http://type.method.ac

Name:  Highly-Suggestible2kerned.png
Views: 474
Size:  6.8 KB

I tried straightening the S terminators but it didn't look better. Maybe because it's strange to have them close to the Gs which have similar straight, but lower, terminators -- seems more inconsistent.

Sketchbook | Composition tutorial
    @LulieArt - Twitter, where I post useful links, tips, and neat art-related things I stumble across.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Personally I find the first version is better as it is easier to read.

Members who have read this thread: 1