Thanks

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Thanks

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Daaamn Benedikt... Killing it with the mood and atmosphere

Thanks
    That seance one is great. Very cinematic feel.

Are you exporting geo to Octane to render these scenes, or are you mostly rendering straight from Modo, in cases where most of your geo is already contained in Modo? I played around w/ an Octane demo, but I'm still waiting for the free release to try it. I know people say it's got a fast renderer, but I haven't been able to compare it to Blender's yet. It's probably hard for you to compare Modo vs Octane rendering, since one is CPU afaik, and the other is GPU.

Thanks
    Thanks Uiriamu!

diamandis: Thanks! I don't use Modo much these days and I haven't rendered with Modo in years and years. I do all my rendering in octane standalone. I model the assets with whatever software works best for the kind of objects (e.g. MOI for hardsurface, Z-brush for organic, Modo for stuff that's in-between) and import/arrange/light/render in Octane. I use two 1080ti for rendering, so Octane is exponentially faster on my machine than a CPU based engine would be.

Thanks
    I will admit that I am new to visual art appreciation, but your work certainly moves me. The portraits are unparalleled as far as I'm concerned. Whatever it is that you capture speaks volumes. You may be a bit too self-critical as there are certainly no issues with the end result. Everyone has a process all their own and I would be hesitant to change anything that produces such moving works as these. Such a broad scope also says something about your complexity as an individual, very attractive. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Noice. I'm guessing you're using some of Jama's rec'd add-ons already. Here are some other useful free ones:
    • q_p (Quick Primitives) -- lets you interactively draw out primitives wherever you want, including aligned to existing surfaces, and optionally lets you do boolean subtract on those surfaces. See the video.
    • Destructive Extrude -- hard to explain, see the video. After installing, it's found in the Alt+E menu. Both this one and the one above get kinda slow / fiddly on more complex meshes, but still useful.
    • A bunch of useful built-in add-ons that you have to activate manually, like A.N.T. Landscape (quick and dirty terrain gen) and Auto Mirror (chops off half your mesh and adds a mirror modifier).
    • Bevel After Boolean -- only mentioning this in case you used MeshFusion in modo and miss it. Last time I used this it was kinda slow and awkward, but if you absolutely need a MeshFusion imitator, it's there.
    • There are also various add-ons that emulate the functionality of modo's WorkPlane, but I haven't tried them so can't vouch for them: WorkPlane, and BatchTransforms

Also, Blender can do microdisplacement, a la Octane (using displacement maps to generate complex 3D geo). Useful for testing out displacement right in Blender, meaning less back and forth between it and Octane, and Blender already has a great renderer anyway. You probably won't get into this stuff until you start learning about the node editor, but I figured I'd mention it now because it's so cool:
    • Basic intro + overview from Blender Guru
    • Advanced tricks from Gleb Alexandrov, super useful: Part 1, Part 2
    • Note: the above vids are from a while ago, and make use of an old shader called Diffuse. Wherever you see that, just replace it with the newer Principled BSDF shader, which is PBR.
    Last edited by diamandis; December 8th, 2018 at 06:33 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to diamandis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks for those links! I have my hands full just with the basic stuff and Jama's recommended tutorials at the moment. Also trying to find a proper Workflow to integrate Z-Brush into this. I'm having an issue with the topology that results from using hard ops/ box cutter etc.- if I use the mesh cleanup (split concave faces into tris) it works fine in Octane, but when I import the mesh into Z-Brush, it doesn't work. Only workaround I've found so far is triangulate the Mesh in Blender, import the tris into Z-Brush, then Z-Remesh everything... but you ned up with 10x as many points...

Anyways, here's the product of the latest bout of practice. Base modelled in Blender, details sculpted & baked in Z-Brush, Textures in Substance Painter, rendered in octane.

RBA Sketchbook

Thanks

Thanks

Thanks
    Yeah, Box Cutter's topology can cause problems. I guess it only makes the cuts you explicitly tell it to make, and it doesn't try to actually clean anything up itself, so you can end up with bizarre 30-sided polys. You can manually connect vertices in Blender after the fact, to clean up the topo so you end up with mostly quads (or whatever it is that ZBrush wants when importing a mesh), but that defeats the purpose of using Box Cutter in the first place, which is rapid ideation without having to worry about technical stuff. Plus, on a complex mesh, manual cleanup would take forever. Maybe Hard Ops has some kind of mesh cleanup tool too?

3D can be a total bitch sometimes all the time. Kudos for juggling Blender -> Zbrush -> Substance -> Octane.

Thanks
    Haha yeah tell me about it. Soooo annoying. I guess you could just ignore the toplogy and do everything via overpainting (as long as the mesh works in Octane rendering is possible after all), but I'd like to do some basic texturing for hero assets/ assets in my 3D library via Substance Painter. Just saves sooo much time to have wear/dirt etc. already baked in... and it's so much fun as well.

speaking of which, I learnt the basics of UV-unwrapping today.

RBA Sketchbook

Thanks

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Do you do the materials and texture in 3D or do you just take the clay render and photobash it with materials and texture?

Thanks
    Would love to hear how you create those vehicles.

Thanks
    Edgarej:
    Depends on some factors.
    If I'm going for a very painterly result, I'll likely not bother to do proper textures because I'll have to overpaint a lot in any case. I'll do basic textures though to get a base in terms of reflections and so on. The more "photoreal" the end result is supposed to be and the more prominent an asset is in the scene, the more likely I am to do proper texturing. Yet another factor is if the asset is likely to be re-used. It makes sense to do proper texturing for assets that will reappear in other illustrations since you only need to do the texturing once and you're pretty much 90% there after rendering (instead of overpainting everything completely every time you use the asset).

Lizardman:
    Only basic modelling operations in Blender with a little bit of boxcutter thrown in, nothing fancy at all (cause i suck at modelling).

---

Another asset:

RBA Sketchbook

This was rendered with 1000px width and upscaled by an AI (A.I. Gigapixel) to 1500px. Hardly any difference between a fullres render at 1500px and the upscaled version, cuts render-times down a lot. Fascinating tech.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedikt View Post
    Yet another factor is if the asset is likely to be re-used. It makes sense to do proper texturing for assets that will reappear in other illustrations since you only need to do the texturing once and you're pretty much 90% there after rendering (instead of overpainting everything completely every time you use the asset).
    I never thought of this before. This is very smart.

Thanks

Thanks

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Wow! Love all this. Your last few have great mood. Can't wait to see more.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Scribblez For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Thanks
    I remember finding your sketchbook years ago and being in complete awe. Super happy and inspired to be sifting through your work again!! Keep them coming

Thanks

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Benedikt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These are amazing! Thank you for posting these. Very inspirational, makes me want to fire up blender, but I'm trying to wait for 2.8 release to get back into it

Page 44 of 44 FirstFirst ... 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44