Huntress-WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Huntress-WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Huntress-WIP

Hey guys, I was wondering if I could get some critiques/comments/any feedback on this image:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19873660/Pr...tress_prev.JPG

The feet ( I know it looks like socks! ) haven't been drawn in much right now, but I was wondering if the perspective, form shape or anything else seems okay to you?!

Thank you in advance for looking, much appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are issues with the perspective in that the feet don't seem to be on the correct ground plane and her shoulder is looking very odd to me, but the biggest problem with this drawing is the large amount of tangents that make it very confusing to look at. At first, I thought the toes of the left foot were the thumb of the forward hand, among other things. I've lined them with red here, hope it helps.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lhune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah thank you, I especially like seeing the hand/foot situation. Looking at a picture for a long time removes "logic", sometimes.

I did have a ref, but the left arm was on the floor covering the foot, but it looked confusing so I changed it, but I think I didn't make much sense of it. I'll go back into it and make more order, I appreciate the help!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I changed the form a little, does it still make sense?
    Name:  Huntress_prev2.JPG
Views: 388
Size:  39.0 KB

I did originally use a ref for this:
    https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19873660/Prevs/Ref.JPG
    ( though it wasn't very direct, as you can see. )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You need to construct the body using basic shapes first. Right now you have outlines encompassing random details that don't work together to convey the overall form. Draw the head, spine, ribcage and pelvis. Add arms and legs onto that. Make sure these components are all in perspective and you have a single ground plane. Once the relationships between the pieces are correct, you can move on to do clean linework.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the main thing throwing me off is the foot. the way you drew the foot makes it seem like the viewers eye is around knee height. In the ref the camera is obviously closer to lower shin height. You have the foot slightly pointing down, where as the ref has it almost horizontal.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to fireblade For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, I'll have a re-think about the leg and sort out the foot

Thank you!

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You've got pretty good, dynamic ref to work from there, most of your problems are coming from not understanding it (especially in the shoulders/back). I'd stay closer to it rather than trying to move further away.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I had another go with the leg and foot, does it make more sense? Its hard showing angles without any light:
    Name:  Huntress_prev3.JPG
Views: 354
Size:  38.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    You've got pretty good, dynamic ref to work from there, most of your problems are coming from not understanding it (especially in the shoulders/back). I'd stay closer to it rather than trying to move further away.
    Yeah, I didn't want to be, too reliant on it, but I'm obviously just not at that ability yet, I'll keep working into it and make more sense of the anatomy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another update, trying to make a little more sense of the anatomy:
    Name:  Huntress_prev5.JPG
Views: 346
Size:  40.2 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by self-epidemic; November 5th, 2012 at 08:28 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 398 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The big problems I see are that you have no indication of a ground plane, and your overlapping is poor, so there's no real sense of perspective or which forms are in front of which. It's hard to tell that the hand is reaching forward well in front of the foot. You've also made the shin more vertical than in the ref, which pushes the foot too far forward.

Really nail the overlaps, especially on the forward arm. Get as many as you can to show it coming forward. And put in some indication of a ground plane, it shouldn't take much. The fingers should fall in a nice flat ellipse on the ground.

And maybe rein in the pink. I cut it back and used it to separate the figure from the background.

Name:  Huntress_prev4-MrC_paintover.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  80.7 KB

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Mr. Corlan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Corlan View Post
    The big problems I see are that you have no indication of a ground plane, and your overlapping is poor, so there's no real sense of perspective or which forms are in front of which. It's hard to tell that the hand is reaching forward well in front of the foot. You've also made the shin more vertical than in the ref, which pushes the foot too far forward.

Really nail the overlaps, especially on the forward arm. Get as many as you can to show it coming forward. And put in some indication of a ground plane, it shouldn't take much. The fingers should fall in a nice flat ellipse on the ground.

And maybe rein in the pink. I cut it back and used it to separate the figure from the background.

Name:  Huntress_prev4-MrC_paintover.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  80.7 KB
    Thank you, I'll study your picture and critique and improve my picture, I really appreciate this help!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to self-epidemic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This crit is great by Mr. Corlan, I'm starting to see more form on your character now, try to think of the body especially parts coming towards you as tubed elipses with rings going down them. The muscle definition is becoming clearer, but watch out with that back leg, it looks like we havent figured out its placement or size, also clean up that back elbow. Don't be afraid to use your photo reference an over lay it on your body to see the difference, don't consider it cheating, even some of the greatest artist use their photoreference to paint over. Cant wait to see more progress sir.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DMTcat View Post
    This crit is great by Mr. Corlan, I'm starting to see more form on your character now, try to think of the body especially parts coming towards you as tubed elipses with rings going down them. The muscle definition is becoming clearer, but watch out with that back leg, it looks like we havent figured out its placement or size, also clean up that back elbow. Don't be afraid to use your photo reference an over lay it on your body to see the difference, don't consider it cheating, even some of the greatest artist use their photoreference to paint over. Cant wait to see more progress sir.
    Aye Corlan gave a pretty informative critique, though I do feel like I should tell you I'm a chick not a sir

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Update: Name:  Huntress_prev6.JPG
Views: 328
Size:  43.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should really remove your picture from Andrew's Paintover thread. Mr.Corlan has given you everything you need.
    Why don't you cross reference his paintover with an anatomy book?
    Just look at the difference between the right (our left) leg that Mr.Corlan drew and what you did with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    You should really remove your picture from Andrew's Paintover thread. Mr.Corlan has given you everything you need.
    Why don't you cross reference his paintover with an anatomy book?
    Just look at the difference between the right (our left) leg that Mr.Corlan drew and what you did with it.
    There is no harm getting any extra help.

I see what you mean about the leg ( and other peoples pointers ) but I don't know what to do with the foot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  Huntress_prev6.JPG
Views: 330
Size:  43.9 KB

Update with her left leg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the main problem is that you're using a very complicated reference and you're simply following the outlines rather than drawing the forms underneath. This causes you to draw pretty wobbly forms without any understanding of an actual human body. I'm not exactly a skilled artist with anatomy myself, but when drawing a complex human pose, I always use building lines and blocks to find the form hidden below.
    Here an example, I just quickly drew the original reference.
    Pay no mind to the quality, I'm aware it's all wrong in some places, but it's just to explain what I mean (:
    Its a complete mess of course, with lines all over the place as I try to figure out the pose, but in the end I have a better understanding, and it will make the rest of the drawing much easier and smoother. Plus I learn much more than if I just copy the outlines in the photo.
    (I've been lurking in these forums for a while now, but first time I dared to post something, yay me! )

Attached Images Attached Images    

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Theeroos For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by self-epidemic View Post
    There is no harm getting any extra help.
    yep right, but you dont even apply the help you already got.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,342 Times in 1,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    A big problem is that you don't know how the neck goes so the face looks pasted on like a big face sticker. That's not going to work.

You're going to have a hard time figuring anatomy out from flat photos.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    yep right, but you dont even apply the help you already got.
    Thats not because I've chosen not too, its because I don't understand, or, well I'm a bit dense. I've tried pretty hard to take in as much as I can. I'm just not a friggin genious, but thats why I'm in this thread to begin with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    A big problem is that you don't know how the neck goes so the face looks pasted on like a big face sticker. That's not going to work.

You're going to have a hard time figuring anatomy out from flat photos.
    Yeah I agree, I fucked up this one, I didn't think past what I should have, I've got a bit of a deadline for this one ( a gift ) so I'll wrap it up, and take what I've learnt and improve. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by self-epidemic View Post
    Thats not because I've chosen not too, its because I don't understand, or, well I'm a bit dense. I've tried pretty hard to take in as much as I can. I'm just not a friggin genious, but thats why I'm in this thread to begin with.
    youre just lacking some basics. no reason to throw in the towel yet.

look up terms like

andrew loomis, george bridgman, ron lemen (fredflickstone on ca), kevin chen (kchen on ca), reilly method/six line figure/whatever you can get your hands on, glen orbik, nathan fowkes,...

to provide you with a solid procedure to construct the human body.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    youre just lacking some basics. no reason to throw in the towel yet.

look up terms like

andrew loomis, george bridgman, ron lemen (fredflickstone on ca), kevin chen (kchen on ca), reilly method/six line figure/whatever you can get your hands on, glen orbik, nathan fowkes,...

to provide you with a solid procedure to construct the human body.
    I haven't thrown in the towel, just feel frustrated that you think I'm not trying, when I am. Though I will look into everything you said. Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if you're still accepting critiques on this work (i'm really new to CA...) but i'd like to point out that right now, as evidenced by Theeroos' explaination on the pose, that the ribcage and especially the breasts are a bit wonky given the pose and perspective. Especially the breasts, which look like they're either being viewed straight from above with no torsion, or that the one on the side (next to the hidden arm) is seen from the profile. There's no way one would be able to view both breasts like this in this pose. I also think the shoulder of the outstretched arm, the one in perspective is really low. I think some study on how muscles especially in the chest area work in relation to one another during extreme movements such as this would be of great help in this sort of pictures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravatta View Post
    I don't know if you're still accepting critiques on this work (i'm really new to CA...) but i'd like to point out that right now, as evidenced by Theeroos' explaination on the pose, that the ribcage and especially the breasts are a bit wonky given the pose and perspective. Especially the breasts, which look like they're either being viewed straight from above with no torsion, or that the one on the side (next to the hidden arm) is seen from the profile. There's no way one would be able to view both breasts like this in this pose. I also think the shoulder of the outstretched arm, the one in perspective is really low. I think some study on how muscles especially in the chest area work in relation to one another during extreme movements such as this would be of great help in this sort of pictures.
    I've stopped working on this piece and went back to some more life studies! Haha, I was a little stupid with this one I think, thank you however.

Members who have read this thread: 1