Art: My High School Portfolio
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My High School Portfolio

So I'm a high school senior currently applying to various colleges. This weekend coming up I'll be going to Portfolio Day and getting more critiques, but I thought I'd post what I have so far and see what you guys have to say.

A piece done for a local show, ink and pastel.

Oil painting done with palette knife

Colored pencil surrealism piece

I'd very much appreciate some critiques! Please and thank you.

Sketchbook
    Deviantart

"The pleasure which is at the once the most pure, the most elevating, and the most intense, is derived, I maintain, from the contemplation of the beautiful." - Edgar Allan Poe

"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These show promise. I run an art department in Greensboro, NC, and would certainly consider these worthy of an application for scholarship.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Obviously you've heard the saying "Quality over Quantity." You have 17 pieces. Honestly, that could get watered down to top 15 or 13. Always put your best work first. Design / Art schools look over hundreds of applicants. They're going to look at the first image and go NEXT. You're glasses drawing is not the strongest piece of yours. I would rescramble and reorder your portfolio.

Also, you have a lot of traditional drawings. A great tip is scan these images high res versus taking a photo of them. Upload them to photoshop or any image retouching program and quickly play with the curves or levels to bump up contrast. When you have a portfolio you want to look professional. And playing with those curves to fix contrast issues will REALLY help your portfolio look wayyyy better and professional :]

Members who have read this thread: 3