Flying whales!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Flying whales!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Flying whales!

Got struck by nostalgia the other day so I wanted to make a tribute to one of my favourite games: Link's Awakening. I haven't been doing full-blown illustrations for a while so I'm really not sure if this piece is working. So far I've just done a value study, but would be very grateful for some feedback before I keep going (in the wrong direction ). Perspective is usually my main weakness, so for some reason I'm not getting this whoa-we're-really-high-up-in-the-air feeling coming from it.

Critique away!

Name:  awakening.png
Views: 684
Size:  351.9 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is there a reason there seems to be one dove flying in midst of those seagulls?
    Also if the whale is large and we're high, adding more atmospheric perspective and making the values less same-y would help. Also you're not applying the light consistently in the whale, if it's front flipper is fully lit, so should it have more light coming to its stomach.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am really not digging the angle of the composition. The weird off kilt dutch angle mixed with the upside down whale makes me a littlie ill trying to follow the lines. Right now the composition leads my eye right inbetween the whales wing and the cloudline, kind of where the two tiny seagulls are.

Right now I would say pull the shot out a bit, dont crop it so close. Let us see more of this neat whale you have going here.

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Freedom!! I love the motion

... I agree with a few of the aboves (I'd light up the belly a bit. pull the shot out, or go closer depending on the feel you want)
    Just remember to thumbnail size every now and then to see how it looks at that size.
    *if the visual read looks good in a small size, it will transfer well upsized.

Transparent wings perhaps to keep it metaphorical ... or is it a full on transformation/evolution?

Anyhoot, re: the motion. i love

/E

*If this was my piece, I would certainly take advantage in showing the big smile these gargantuan creatures can afford us creatives.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the quick answers!

TinyBird: The only reason that dove is there is because it didn't want to be a seagull.

vardoburrito: Ah freedom! It's exactly the word I want this picture to scream. The wings are actually a part of the creature, this thing is called the wind fish and is a sort of deity or god in the game.

Name:  awakening2.png
Views: 5919
Size:  365.7 KB

Quick update. I pulled out the view a little, dulled down the contrast in the background to make the whale stand out more and some light on that belly. I also put a big smile on his face as vardoburrito mentioned, felt it fit the subject of the picture (this guy's just been freed from a dreaming prison and is now free to fly across the sky). He's a happy whale.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,653 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by knocknoc View Post
    TinyBird: The only reason that dove is there is because it didn't want to be a seagull..
    That's kinda depressing seeing how a dove is not a seabird and it's probably going to get tired and drown out there since it probably can't fly to the shore. If the only reason for it is to not be a seagull, why not try some other seabird, or make the bird be part of the whale (like its friend or something and pose it so that it's clear for the viewer, as now it seems to be doing a stopping or lifting from the ground flying pose) or symbolic (like ethereal sparkledoves that symbolize the whale's freedom) etc... Because right now it's just random and confusing, as you want the viewer to concentrate on the whale and not wonder what that dove is doing there.

And again, I suggest you to add more light and use that atmospheric perspective. Things don't look like they're far away if they're pure black, like that isle/raft7whatever in the ocean.
    Name:  whalepaint.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  119.4 KB

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by TinyBird View Post
    ...is not a seabird and it's probably going to get tired and drown out there since it probably can't fly to the shore
    Brilliant! That thought didn't even cross my mind when I read it. I was just thinking that maybe knocknoc had a personal reason to using it, tsehehe.
    Sweet paint over too! Cheers

Overlay a darkish green-blue and knock back the opacity to get rid of all the pure blacks.
    The darks are usually a combination of all the colours around it. All the colours that bounce into it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, I'm sorry about the dove guys, I was joking when I said it didn't want to be a seagull. xD I wasn't too clear about that I guess. It's supposed to be a seagull, I just didn't draw it correctly it seems as it looks like a dove. I'll rethink that one and probably move it somewhere since it seems to catch a lot of unwanted attention.

Thanks a lot for the op, TinyBird! I didn't think much when I was painting the little guy (Link, the hero of the game, watching the whale/wind fish flying across the sky) in the water below. I want him to be visible enough for you to be able to discern him despite the distance, but I went a little overboard there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    imo the biggest issue is, that because of that bent horizon it looks like a wideangle lense, and applying their physics the whale ends up to be small... as in only as big as 4-6x a seagull. thats killing the drama.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Members who have read this thread: 1