Illustration vs drawing - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Illustration vs drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We could go around in circles forever with this subject and not change others' minds. I guess it just irks me a little when people assume that the ultimate skill in art is representing something accurately. That is presumptuous at the very least.
    i never ment to say that... quite the opposite actually. yet its my opinion that beeing proficent in it (according to my definition above) wont stop you from creating the ultimate picture neither if you got what it takes in other and more important departments (see picture making skills above). thats why i said it wont hurt...÷

we could argue about our definitions of draftsmanship, but i see no good in that, as i defined my concept of that term and you did aswell. they differ... im ok with that. so from now on if you use it, i know your definition and therefore, my interpretation of what you say, is probably closer to what you mean to say. and the same hopefully goes the other way around.

If you're ambition is to be a syndicated cartoonist, do they have those in Europe, then why study years of anatomy and academic drawing when you could spend the time studying current events etc. Having your kind of ultimate draftsmanship can be a disability.
    only if you introduce the time variable to whats been said. but then the original question was not, if time could be spent more wisely, but if interest and competence in drawing would hurt your ability to successfully illustrate (thats how i read it).

Last edited by sone_one; November 5th, 2012 at 05:16 PM.
    newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    And my belief is that there is no ultimate draftsmanship. That draftsmanship is only good as it is appropriate to the intent. An obvious form of this comes in comics. Over-drawing can be a real detriment in telling stories. The problem with having a skill is that one always wants to show off that skill. So the key for me is that one is aware of where they fit in to the scheme of things. Having the painting skills of Sargent, would you ever settle for doing a daily comic strip? If you're ambition is to be a syndicated cartoonist, do they have those in Europe, then why study years of anatomy and academic drawing when you could spend the time studying current events etc. Having your kind of ultimate draftsmanship can be a disability.
    That is just apologist twaddel, tell that to Alex Ross, Neil Adams, Mobeus, Dave McKean, Winsor McCay, Heinrich Klee, Carl Barks, Preston Blair, all the mad magazine guys and about a thousand other comic artists. Good draftsmanship by its very nature takes into account the end result, that is why it is good, bad draftsmanship hides behind inability.

Last edited by dpaint; November 5th, 2012 at 06:16 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good draftsmanship by its very nature takes into account the end result,
    Exactly, you have made my point. The end result, or intent, is the measure of good draftsmanship not some ambiguous gold standard. And any name you put on a list can be countered with other artist/cartoonist as or more successful in their own right. Also my example used syndicated cartoonists; so for example Charles Schultz, Gary Trudeau, Gary Larson.

By the way my twaddel is never apologist, it is confident and well informed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    That is just apologist twaddel, tell that to Alex Ross, Neil Adams, Mobeus, Dave McKean, Winsor McCay, Heinrich Klee, Carl Barks, Preston Blair, all the mad magazine guys and about a thousand other comic artists. Good draftsmanship by its very nature takes into account the end result, that is why it is good, bad draftsmanship hides behind inability.
    Do you mean Heinrich Kley? (who is amazing. and the book is cheap. BUY IT. BUY IT NOW.)

I wonder if people are confusing design with draftsmanship?

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bcarman View Post
    Exactly, you have made my point. The end result, or intent, is the measure of good draftsmanship not some ambiguous gold standard. And any name you put on a list can be countered with other artist/cartoonist as or more successful in their own right. Also my example used syndicated cartoonists; so for example Charles Schultz, Gary Trudeau, Gary Larson.

By the way my twaddel is never apologist, it is confident and well informed.
    If I made your point you owe me a beer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Alice Herring View Post
    i think so

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

Thanks
    Thanked 1,535 Times in 567 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    How so?

And when we meet a beer it is Armand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That must have been the most interesting thread around here for months.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 1