Thanks

Unhappy A question on portfolio content.

Ok, what do you guys think of this? I read that in your portfolio you should place your best work. Only. Now someone has told me that I shouldn't be mixing an anime looking character with a realistic Space Soldier type character.
    What do you think of this?
    Todd A. McCullough
    www.orbofday.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    your portfolio needs to reflect the type of work you want to be doing...if you put a great painting of lasagna then you will get work painting lasagna...if you want to paint spaghetti and you dont have any images of spaghetti it will be hard to get work painting spaghetti.

basically...you need to specifically taylor your portfolio with your very best images and have those images be specific to getting work with where ever you are interviewing with.

If I want a job at disney I dont send them 50 pages of manga....I send them what they ask for in their portfolio information stuff...life drawings and whatnot.

If I want a job at blizzard making games I dont send them anime stuff only...I send them stuff they might like...more taylored to what they do there....REALLY GREAT STUFF WILL GET THEM EVERY TIME EVEN IF IT IS NOT A PERFECT MATCH BUT YOU HAD BETTER HAVE SOME APPLICABLE STUFF IN THERE TOO...I make my stuff as good as i can before i send it....if i am an animator and want to work at blizzard I would send short anims...deaths..attacks...stance fidgets...looping stuff....and then maybe a couple cinematics....you see what i mean?

for my company I prefer to see personal work in there as well as production stuff...if you send me a life drawing and the hands are all farked..and the head is a little wierd...Im just not gonna like it :bash: ....I will see that you still need to work on your basics. you dont want me to see any weaknesses. If you send something..make sure it is to your highest standards.

I will see about putting up specific wants and needs for the different type of companies on here...jaymz has lots of great info on this.

jason manley

Thanks
    Cheers Jason.

Thanks very informative.:btu: I'll check out jaymz too.
    Todd A. McCullough
    www.orbofday.com

Thanks
    good advice! i wish i had more time to work on mine, lol. im really really surpirsed i got into college with the p.o.s. portfolio i turned in, its embarrassing.

chris

Thanks
    Thanked 1,607 Times in 291 Posts
    one of the things i look for in a portfolio is an absence of school assignments, anything older than 5-6 years raises an eyebrow....i like to see recent work. its a very good idea to tailor the portfolio to what kind of work you want to do, but variety is also an asset. i got my present job off my sketchbook, not the portfolio i had painstakingly assembled. sketchbooks are a bunch of random shit, and if an employer sees versatiliy, thats definitely an asset. i guess the main thing i like to see is that there is a real love to create art there, and old school assignments dont prove to me that there is a lot going on in his/her spare time as far as further ing their craft is concerned.-my 2 cents

Thanks
    El coro. Thanks. I'll try to keep my work current, and provide a decent sketchbook.

Cheers!
    Todd A. McCullough
    www.orbofday.com

jaymz Guest
    Hey Gamoron...

Did you get your questions answered? Did you check out the portfolio advise thread?

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/for...?s=&forumid=14

let me know if I can help with anything else.

-J

Thanks
    Cheers jaymz. I think I'm good. Thanks.
    Todd A. McCullough
    www.orbofday.com