Observational skills?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Observational skills?

Any techniques on improving observational skills and making them stronger? I know its properly a case of just drawing all the time, but I have to admit I do find drawing in class, on the train etc. quite difficult, my drawings are always very simple and quite bad in comparison to when I use images for reference and spend more time on something. I tend to rely on tweaking the image till it looks presentable. My life drawings have been quite bad lately aswell @___@ I have been told my observational skills need improving.

thanks

'Never, ever, let anyone tell you what you can and can't do. Prove the cynics wrong. Pity them...'
    ~Tom Hiddleston~

My Sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=246863
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well there's proportion, which can be simplified to comparing the length and width of objects, ratios, etc. But more in depth http://browse.deviantart.com/?q=Shad...et=24#/d1uoqws
    And Jeff made a useful post on observational drawings here http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...wing-from-Life
    http://www.artistdaily.com/blogs/ste...ccurately.aspx This as well is good

If you want to do life drawing, as in drawing people passing by or people in general, you're going to want to simplify what you see. Just try to capture the essence/pose of the person before they move, with a sense of urgency. The urgency is important. The more you do that the better you will be at recording the important lines of a drawing. It's a bit different than drawing from the model.

SLAM OR BE JAMMED
    Sketchbook
    My Rival!!
    Tumblr artblog I'm part of

Draw, Antonio; draw, Antonio; draw and donít waste time.Ē -Michelangelo

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Provenzano For This Useful Post:

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,885 Times in 2,357 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Observation needs some sort of system for translating the world into two dimensions. I think the best systems rely on the use of a basic ideal form coupled with the ideas of line of action and growth which are used as the starting point to establish the general motif you are observing. Then using both the ideal template and proportional observation you can arrive at a likeness of the things observed if you have the hand eye coordination to draw what you are seeing.
    Some systems deal with the human figure and ignore environment but systems for a more general approach can be learned just as easily with practice. This is where the use of the basic forms come into play. One must learn to see these basic forms and their combinations in everything observed. The forms are cube, cone, cylinder, sphere; these and the idea of geometric planes can help you reduce complex observations into (relatively) easily drawn symbols.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing a lot of still life or environment subjects from life is good practice for honing general observational skills, too. Taking time to try and draw still subjects as accurately as you can helps you learn how to see and measure and gauge angles and proportions and so forth. It also helps you understand basic forms and how they work in space (perspective/foreshortening.) The practice you get from all of this helps when you're tackling faster sketches of not-so-still subjects as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Coupled with what dpaint mentioned about breaking down what you see into the basic geometric forms that govern the subject/object, you will also need a basic working understanding of linear perspective. Without a basic knowledge of perspective youíll always have some problem describing forms like cubes and cylinders in a convincing real world 3d space, on a 2d surface. Beginners who lack a general understanding of perspective tend to draw, by default, subjects that look composed of many different views of the subject--a kind of naÔve-cubism.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.