Art: 3 character designs

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3 character designs

Hey guys, long time lurker first time poster.

These are some characters that I've done for my folio. they felt like they were finished when I was working on them, now I'm not so sure.

Take a look crits and comments greatly apreciated!

3 character designs 3 character designs 3 character designs

"It's not about joinin' the crowd, man" - The Promise
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    0 replies...well here's my good deed for the day:

- biggest problem is that all 3 characters are fundamentaly the same. They all have the same stiff awkward pose, and the same shiveled up prune face. It looks like you just cut and pasted components from one character to the next. I guess the intention here might have been to show off different costume ideas for the same character? If so, I would specifically state that on the porfolio page so people know what they're looking at....otherwise there is no need to show all 3 of these characters in your folio.
    - Your rendering is flattening out your characters. Try and be more bold with your shadows and forms, remember you are creating the illusion of a 3D object on a 2D page. Think about creating a single strong light source and sticking to it. Give the characters a shadow on the ground as a start, so they are floating in space.
    - It might be a good idea to show some anatomy on one of the figures to show your understanding of the figure...I'm getting the sense you are hiding part of anatomy using clothing and armor. I think your characters are losing a lot of their believability because the underlying figure is incorrect.
    - Think in 3D...start drawing through the object and placing things in 3D space. Give your characters depth and wieght.
    -try different tools when coloring, not just the airbrush. Dont be afraid to leave some bold strokes on the canvas - it shows confidence. Loosen up, and let your lines flow more.
    -experiment with, and learn correct figure proportions. Learn how to exagerate different proportions to give your characters a personality.
    -When you look at a concept design it should give you a lot of information...not just what the character looks like, but what the mood is, a sense of history of the character, and a feeling that somehwere, in some universe this character exists.

Anwyays, good for you for posting. Stop lurking, and start posting more things so you can get more feedback.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for that mate, yeah when it comes to rendering I still finding my footing.

But a small query if I may, how do you express your knowledge of anatomy on a character that has armor, bags and accesories etc?

Thanks again for the post greatly appreciated!

- Sam

"It's not about joinin' the crowd, man" - The Promise

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well anatomy is not just knowing how to draw mucles, it's how to construct the figure to look natural and correct. So first off, try to get the basic volumes down better, along with their proportions to one another. For example, his oversized skull makes the figure look almost child-like...or his compacted hips which add to the illusion of this character being 5 feet tall. When it comes to accessories, think about how they drape overtop of the anatomy, and everything will look more solid.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.