OCAD Integrated Media & Painting/Drawing
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy OCAD Integrated Media & Painting/Drawing

I'm planning on apply to OCAD U and I'm stuck on whether I want to go for the Integrated Media or for the Painting/Drawing program. Can anyone give me feedback on these programs if you are in it? I want to make one of them my major and the other one my minor. It would make my decision a lot more easier.

Does anyone know anything about the Digital Painting & Expanded Animation program?

What is the campus like at OCAD? Are the people there friendly/open?
    Is it any different from high school?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly, it depends on what you're looking to do after.

I was in the painting/drawing program... I didn't enjoy my time there. The classes are kind of bullshit half the time and I'm not just talking about the ocasional "times media" course. Alot of your courses will be either electives or BS courses like building crap out of cardboard. I was spending more time on essays than painting. If your looking for viability in the industry, I hear good things about their advertising and graphic design course, but obviously painting/drawing or intergrated media isnt the best choice. I couldn't in good conscious recommend the program, I feel like I got scammed and badly.

Not sure about the integrated media one, that sounds like just a "miscellanious" art program, are you sure you'd want to study that for 4 years? quick look at the courses show the same bullcrap in fine arts, except even less drawing/painting.

Oh but they do have alot of faculties, like wood shops, the forge, the metal shop, plastic shop. lots of computer labs.

People are reasonably friendly, I guess. Lots of Hipsters and rich kids,

I've not tried their new expanded animation program but it is new. So it will be a gamble if you give it a try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Both those programs are in the Faculty of Art which means you have to do a general foundation year anyways, so if you're unsure you still have time to figure it out until you declare your major second semester.

I don't know too much about the Integrated Media program but the Drawing/Painting program does have nice studios but it is often to find space. If you're really into contemporary art it may be your thing, a lot of assignments are really open concept just to get you to experiment and try new things. You won't learn how to draw or paint, these skills will be left up to you to learn on your own time, so if that's what you're looking for I'd suggest finding a different school. However there are plenty of opportunities to get your work displayed around the school and at around galleries in the area so there's many ways to get exposed.

The Digital Painting and Expanded Animation program is a mix of Drawing & Painting courses and Integrated Media focusing on Animation. Do take note though that there are significantly more Liberal Studies courses in the new programs that OCAD has created, so you'll have at least one if not two Liberal Studies a semester. Something to think about if you want more hands-on classes or if you can't stand lecture based courses.

The campus is pretty small but they've recently obtained another building so they're slowly evolving to combat the space problem. The nice thing about OCAD is that it's right downtown so it's honestly amazing in that regard. The people are pretty friendly, I have yet to encounter any really bad apples. There isn't much of a community feel to it though and at times it can feel very impersonal, but you make friends if you put in the effort and try.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.