Poses are limited
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Poses are limited

Hello.

I've been doing life drawing from my computer, which has helped me immensly. However, I still have no idea how to draw a character doing stuff. Most of my characters are sitting or standing, and their body languege is very limited.

How do I make them pose and do stuff? I want to draw comics, so I need to learn how to do this from my head.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Draw from life. Get friends/family to pose for you. Draw yourself in the mirror.

Find more references for what you want to study. If drawing photos are your thing I guarantee you
    will find a lot more pictures on the net of people doing more than just sitting or standing.

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,660 Times in 1,621 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Milou View Post
    I want to draw comics, so I need to learn how to do this from my head.
    No you don't (well, not to the extent that you'd never need to use a ref). Like Star Eater said, get friends/family pose for you or get them take photos of you posing. You can't get a ref for everything in your comics (depending on what your comic is about at least), but references are commonly used when drawing comics.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dear OP.

GO OUTSIDE. You'll learn even more!
    It's ok to disconnect from a computer and observe life. That's how a lot of art is created. You get inspired by people doing stuff!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

dpaint is online now Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,889 Times in 2,359 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello.

I've been doing life drawing from my computer, which has helped me immensly. However, I still have no idea how to draw a character doing stuff. Most of my characters are sitting or standing, and their body languege is very limited.

How do I make them pose and do stuff? I want to draw comics, so I need to learn how to do this from my head.
    Working from life means just that, drawing from something real in front of you. What you are doing is figure drawing from your computer. Memorize construction techniques like Loomis if you want to draw out of your head but its not a good way to go, most of the best comic artists use reference.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    If drawing photos are your thing I guarantee you
    will find a lot more pictures on the net of people doing more than just sitting or standing.
    Well, maybe not a LOT more...

And I'll second Loomis as about the best starting point if you're interested in comics. The basics of the mannequin poses is where things start.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

10. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are okay with working from photographs you could of course also simply use a webcam or simple point-and-shoot with timer device and then take photos of yourself, assuming whatever poses you like.

As for books, I rather like Ron Tiner's "Figure drawing without a model." It's a like a somewhat more recent version of Loomis, and has all manner of handy tips and tricks. Many of which boil down to "observe people around you and draw what you see." :-)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to blogmatix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blogmatix View Post
    As for books, I rather like Ron Tiner's "Figure drawing without a model." It's a like a somewhat more recent version of Loomis, and has all manner of handy tips and tricks. Many of which boil down to "observe people around you and draw what you see." :-)
    Always great to meet another fan of Rons book. I own it as well, its a fun, approachable figure drawing manual which does not get
    enough press, despite the great content and tips.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 539 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Either way your going to use reference. Your going to need to practice for years and years to get good enough at construction to use it without much issue. Then you'll still come across situations where you have no clue what it looks like because you haven't observed it. Especially in comics with ever changing and dynamic perspectives and angles

"Oh shit I need to draw someone swinging a bat. I've seen it before.... ... but I haven't really..... 'seen' it mid stride or anything. Fuck."

Comics are a bit of a learning experience. Your storytelling not just drawing. Along with practicing consistency, and then the balancing act of quality and not spending forever on a single page. It's honestly practicing efficiency if your doing it all alone. The figures have to feel like they're doing what they are supposed to in the story. The best way to do this is to reference what it would be in real life to help capture that feeling best as possible and also helps so your not spending hours and hours and hours on a single panel because it doesn't feel right.

I'm about to move, once I unpack I'm putting a giant mirror in front of where I draw because I already find myself running back and forth to the nearest bathroom (closest mirror)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to JFierce For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've been doing life drawing from my computer.
    No, you're not. It's not life drawing if it's on your computer.

Step away from your computer, go outside, and draw real people moving around and doing things. Gesture drawings of real live people are excellent practice for cartoonists and animators, it's a great way to study body language and how people move and act. If you have a park anywhere near you, I recommend going and sketching people doing sports and similar activities.

And depending on what kind of comic art you do, you may do most of it from your head, or you may do most of it from photo ref, or you may use ref for some bits and imagination for other bits... I second what's already been said about learning a constructive approach to the figure, that's pretty essential for cartooning and animation. But it helps to supplement that with drawing and observing real live people, so you can understand all the nuances of real expression and movement. Otherwise you'll probably end up with stiff, generic characters.

(And yes, mirrors are really reeeeally handy... Especially at 3:00am when you suddenly realize you have no idea how this arm should twist...)

18. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Always great to meet another fan of Rons book. I own it as well, its a fun, approachable figure drawing manual which does not get
    He's also one of the few books that goes over different body types in a very understandable fashion (Peck is another book that has body types as well). Something that I think it essential with dealing with characters in storytelling fashion .ie comics.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i have Rons book its a great book on how to draw people at coffy shops and stuff like that...Ron has another book out called Drawing from your Imagination http://www.amazon.com/Drawing-your-I...pd_sim_sbs_b_2 its starts off where the last one left off...what i like about Figure Drawing Without a Model Ron Tiner preaches over and over that artist need to take a sketch book with them every where you go and sketch every thing you see even if you don't like the subject.

Last edited by creeptool; November 2nd, 2012 at 02:48 PM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to creeptool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "If you wish to become a successful imaginative artist, the best advice I can offer you is: be prepared to draw anything and everything you see."

- Ron Tiner, "Drawing from your imagination"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There isn't a single painting that I do where I haven't had my wife take some completely ridiculous photo of me with a camera phone.
    Reference images are essential.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    There isn't a single painting that I do where I haven't had my wife take some completely ridiculous photo of me with a camera phone.
    Reference images are essential.
    Prove it...

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

25. The Following User Says Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,667 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    No, you're not. It's not life drawing if it's on your computer.
    Some digital artists have portable laptop/Wacom setups that allow them to approach working from life in a similar manner to using traditional media. But I'd bet a million bucks that the OP isn't one of them. So yeah, no.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm pretty sure the OP meant they were drawing figures ON the computer, not drawing figures WITH the computer... If you know what I mean... (As in, the "models" are on the screen.)

I've seen people lug laptops to life drawing, but the models themselves are not on the screen. That makes all the difference.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for the book reccomandation! I've checked it out from the library and written up the author's name. It was exactly what I was looking for, and I've spent the evening drawing my friends.

Yes, I have been drawing naked figures from the laptop screen by using the good ol' slideshow method. It's not as good as actual life drawing, but it has helped me improve significantly during times when life drawing was unavailable to me.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Prove it...

Hells to the no.
    :p

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 2