Thread: The tourists

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1. First I have no idea what that thing is or how it is standing. It looks like it was just placed in this environment (meaning you drew it at a previous time and copied and pasted it in here. What is it? Why is it chained on a beach, why do the people sitting there dont give a damn. Also what is the concept of this character how does it walk how does it move why is it on a beach what are your references?

Right now it looks like a large thumbnail, if even that. Get references for everything in this. Try and figure out more of your tourist, what is it, why is it here, where did it come from, when was it created, how does it get around.

Give us more background story, give us more drawings, do more thumbnails and come back so we can give you a proper critique.

If you are looking for help on how to draw, try some of the other forums and see where to start, post more work from your sketchbook too.

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the feedback.

I drew this all at the same time, thought it is on layers, so it sort is like being cut and paste.

I envision this as a creature that is caged at a tourist destination in order to keep nasty, dangerous predators from harassing the guests. The guests also enjoy looking at the exotic creature. It swims more than walks. It can breathe out of water, but would much prefer To be in the water.

Didn't use refs on this. Just built shapes, and it turned into this. I struggle with perspective, and placing things within an environment. I was trying to

I realize this looks like a thumbnail compared to the incredibly talented artists here, but this is one of my absolute, most finished pieces I've done.

I am still figuring my way around this forum. It can be a little confusing where to post.

My sketchbook is here, though it is not yet up to date. http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ght=Uggatastic

I need to figure out how to better attach the creature to the structure, and how to better place the structure in the environment.

Your input is appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good concept but it could use some work-

Let’s look at your creature first. "I envision this as a creature that is caged at a tourist destination in order to keep nasty, dangerous predators from harassing the guests." interesting idea but if it is caged how does it protect them, how does it keep the other monsters away? It is trapped in a cage what’s to stop them from going around? Perhaps a better solution is a fence farther out in the water or something that deters it from eating the guests itself like a blast collar or something futuristic.

"The guests also enjoy looking at the exotic creature." That is fine, but then have some people interested in it, right now it is two amorphous blobs sitting behind the monster. Get some characters in there, full bodies well rendered. Have children pointing at have their body language express interest.

"It swims more than walks. It can breathe out of water, but would much prefer To be in the water." It is an amphibian, look up some creature that are amphibious frogs, newts, other lizards use them as reference stitch a creature of your own design out of elements found on those. Right now it looks like a tall octopus that has learned how to grow bones and walk on its tentacles.

Maybe place a hotel in the background have a reason why people are there. Make the far background more tropical; get some reference photos of Monaco.

"Didn't use refs on this. Just built shapes, and it turned into this." Don’t do that, even the best artists use references. Make sure to grab some just to look at while drawing.

“I struggle with perspective, and placing things within an environment." Practice makes perfect. For this one block out your perspective, make a cube where you want these things to go and then draw them in the cube.

"This is one of my absolute, most finished pieces I've done." Nothing is ever truly done, George Lucas today stills go back to the original Star Wars with edits and fixes, and that is why Disney has taken it away from him.

"I am still figuring my way around this forum. It can be a little confusing where to post." Now that there is more description we know what you are looking. You posted in the correct forum, make sure to just give us a summary like you did above this and we can help you as best we can.

"I need to figure out how to better attach the creature to the structure, and how to better place the structure in the environment." References! There are references for everything, mish mash what you find. Also rough it out in pencil or a thinner line if you are using a tablet. Get an idea of what you want down and look at it and see what you can improve on.

You should create your creature first he seems to be the focus of this composition. Get a neat pencil drawing of a creature you like and go from there.

Practice makes perfect go to the other forums with tutorials and lessons on how to draw and work and see what you can do with them.

Good luck

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks so much for taking the time to comment so thoroughly and insightfully. I am trying to tradition from compulsive doodler to artist.

I like your Monaco reference thing.

I will work my way way through each of your suggestions, and see what I can apply to this, and other pieces.

The non-chalance was intentional. I suppose as a concept art piece it leaves more questions than answers. As a piece of art in general, I like the questions it raises.

The mere presence of the creature on the beach keeps the other monsters away, by virtue of their scent alone. The other creatures won't even come near. They used to keep the chained monsters hidden, but found their presence on te beach actually boosted demand for the hotel, as a morbid attraction, especially at feeding time.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.