Will art schools not like lined paper in a sketchbook?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Will art schools not like lined paper in a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Will art schools not like lined paper in a sketchbook?

Hi, Im thinking of applying to LCAD, CalArts, and MassArts (as a state school near me) and I have a lot of in class drawings and sketches that I really like, but a lot of stuff like that is on lined paper, some on small, thin, brown math paper. If I stick these in my sketchbook, will colleges care? Or will they just look at it from an artistic side?

Also if I have some shitty drawings, and some great drawings in my sketchbook, is that normal? Or should it be closer to 90% really good? Should I be ripping bad pages out?

(Also I have like a 2.7 gpa and dont have PSAT scores back if that makes a difference)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should get rid of your bad drawings. they will hurt you and a lot of college want students with a 3.0 or higher, so you should work on getting those gpa up. No don't draw on lined paper, its bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you scan pages in your sketchbook, you can crop the scans to show only your best work.

Or, I suggest scanning full pages and using an image editing application like Photoshop to select and adjust the gray levels of the sketches you wish to "hide" so that they are +/-15% visible. This will allow you to draw attention to the sketches you like while retaining the aesthetic and context of a "sketchbook". The substrate is irrelevant. It is not bad at all if you are submitting drawings in a sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you applying to a school where they would like you to send them a whole sketchbook?- like the actual book?

otherwise just send your top images. and IDK about lined paper, but I know that most drawings I've done on lined paper have been doodles, not drawings. Schools don't want to see doodles, so if you're thinking of sending them a "really cool doodle" don't. You are only as strong as your weakest piece.

If you have the time, get to a portfolio day before you apply anywhere, and ask a representative from the schools of your choice to review your portfolio. they gladly will, but you'll have to wait in line. they should tell you exactly what you should work on.
    if you don't have the time, simply call the school, get in contact with an admissions rep/counselor and ask them who you should talk to, or what they look for in the best portfolios. the person may seem rushed, but they will answer your questions.

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...red-Sketchbook
    this may help you out with your sketchbook questions. many people use cheap paper on purpose. but this is not necessarily something used to showcase their work.
    Just remember, what you send the college shows them all they will know about you, unless you are stopping into the building everyday. All the school knows about you is what you send them, so if lined paper seems like a good idea, go for it. If it seems to showcase elementary work, don't do it.
    personally I wouldn't send in photos of drawings i've done on lined paper, but i've never drawn anything great on lined paper either.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have lined paper in my portfolio and no one ever cared. In fact one person did comment that hey looks like you like to draw whenever you can and on whatever materials you have, so I believe it actually worked in my favor.

Later though I decided I wanted to clean up some drawings, so if you do decide to do it a great way is when you scan it into photoshop, go to Image > Adjustments > Replace Color. Then you want to eye drop the blue and just change it to white.

Here are some examples of drawings I did on lined paper, and you can faintly see it, but it's not as bad anymore with that method.

http://harkinsart.com/portfolio_sketches.html

Check the dragon sketch, 4th piece down, the one on the right.. that was on lined paper. A few others as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Mr. Harkins, really impressive work. If my drawing done on lined paper looked like that I'd be sending them in too!

Was that a college portfolio, or is that more of a professional portfolio. I noticed it seems you graduated as an illustrator back in 2009, yet your site is dated for 2012.

were these skills present before or after school?

Members who have read this thread: 2