Sketchbook: No Escape - A Quest for Artistic Growth -- Please Critique!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: No Escape - A Quest for Artistic Growth -- Please Critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

No Escape - A Quest for Artistic Growth -- Please Critique!

So I've been lurking around CA.org for years now. Posted a few times but could probably count them all on one hand still. Ran away from art a couple of times and always came back. Scared to death of sharing my work. Recently I've started pursuing 3D more then 2D but I don't want to give 2D up. I want to become a better artist in every way and it's not going to happen by hiding myself away.

So finally I am starting my own sketchbook here and will start by sharing some of my more recent works in progress.

First up the sefl-portrait I've done for Self portrait day. It's the third I've ever done in my life and something I feel I should start doing a little more regularly.
    Name:  self_portrait.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  146.0 KB

This Llama is for a children's book I'm trying to get contracted to illustrate. Probably the first color image I've ever done that I feel good about.
    Name:  llama01.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  258.9 KB

A character work in progress. Attempting a more dynamic pose then I usually would, which worked great until I started adding detail and fleshing out the forms, then all movement just vanished.
    Name:  seanMarcus_wip.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  114.3 KB

And now some older work. All done within the last year or so.
    Name:  brad_wip.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  157.8 KB
    Name:  facespeedpaint_010512.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  93.5 KB
    Name:  grimms.jpg
Views: 260
Size:  138.7 KB
    Name:  quickselfportrait.jpg
Views: 256
Size:  67.5 KB
    Name:  animal_studies.jpg
Views: 248
Size:  111.6 KB

The biggest thing I'm working on right now is finishing what I start. I tend to start an image and then get bored with it after a point and never return to it. Working really hard on seeing my work through from start to finish. More then that I hope to start posting new work regularly from now on.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Perspective studies...

So obviously it's been a while since my last update. I've got reasons and excuses. Some are good and some are bad but what it all comes down to is that it's been a while since I did any drawing. I am determined to change this. So here we go.

Recently it has been brought home to me just how much I've neglected the fundamentals. So I've decided to take a step back and really work on the basics, learn the things that I ignored for so long. I'm starting with Loomis but intend to use other sources as well and first up is perspective which I studied briefly years ago and have ignored ever since.

Name:  perspective_01.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  36.4 KB
    Name:  perspective_02.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  34.8 KB
    Name:  perspective_03.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  24.7 KB
    Name:  perspective_04.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  31.6 KB
    Name:  perspective_05.jpg
Views: 145
Size:  39.5 KB
    Name:  perspective_06.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  34.6 KB
    Name:  perspective_06_guides.jpg
Views: 151
Size:  105.6 KB
    Name:  perspective_07.jpg
Views: 137
Size:  30.4 KB

As always critiques and advice are most welcome. I now have set aside time each day to focus on drawing so I should be updating each week for the foreseeable future. May continue with perspective for a while but I may switch over to proportions. We'll have to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just keep on updating and remaining vigilant. Nice start so far!

FEED THE SKETCHBOOK

Don't be afraid to make mistakes. Nobody made good art by coloring in between the lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @AeonPhoenix: Thanks for the encouragement, it is greatly appreciated. The temptation to give up or even just to spend time on other things is sometimes overwhelming. Just got to keep pushing forward all the time.

So I hope you're all in the mood for cubes...

Still working on perspective. I'm following Loomis' techniques for most of this and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. This past week I have specifically been attempting to learn his techniques for creating cubes of a specific size/measurement. For the most part it works quite well but I've had a good deal of trouble drawing a perfect cube with this method.

But first, some cylinders in perspective:
    Name:  cylinder_persp.jpg
Views: 146
Size:  27.1 KB

What follows are my many attempts to draw a perfect cube using Loomis' system of drawing cubes to specific dimensions:
    Name:  measurement_test_1.jpg
Views: 165
Size:  35.2 KB
    Name:  measurement_test_2.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  31.8 KB
    Name:  measurement_test_3.jpg
Size:  50.8 KB
    Name:  measurement_test_4.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  29.0 KB
    Name:  measurement_test_5.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  28.5 KB

This is where I felt like I was really starting to get it. Do they look like perfect cubes or am I not quite there yet. They're close, but I can't tell if they're perfect and they don't seem to match with the cube a bit further down using a different method.
    Name:  measurement_test_6.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  50.2 KB
    Name:  measurement_test_7.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  51.6 KB
    Name:  measurement_test_8.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  46.6 KB

Finally, here is a perfect cube using the more complicated method described in this thread: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ng-perspective
    Name:  perfectcube_alt.jpg
Views: 130
Size:  25.0 KB
    Name:  perfectcube_alt_guides.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  23.3 KB

So next up will finally be Basic Forms in perspective. I will probably also start working with Loomis' methods of drawing to scale. Seeya next week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this week is just a small update. It's been a difficult week with wacom troubles among other things.

Basic forms has been my main focus this week and I started with the cylinder in two point perspective.
    Name:  cylinders.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  26.1 KB

Following that came the cones/pyramids. The base of the large cone in the foreground was done by cheating using Photoshop's shape tool. I know there are those who would not call that cheating and normally I would agree. However, a large part of the reason for this exercise is to only use methods that could easily been translated to natural media. So in this case I consider it cheating. I just wanted to see if it was easy to do and I'm glad I did because I feel like it helped me understand how to better draw a circle in perspective. Compare the base of the cone in the background to the bases of the cylinders above.
    Name:  cones.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  32.7 KB

And a sphere. Another one that would be ridiculously easy using the tools that Photoshop provides. Hell, even with natural media so long as you had something that was circular you've got the basis of a sphere, no problem, since the contour never changes. Again, the point here is to understand how it works in perspective with the various circles that make up there sphere. To bad I skipped a step. Will have to a full one in the future.
    Name:  sphere.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  28.7 KB

Finally, I decided this evening to try and apply some of what I've learned of perspective over these past few weeks to a quick landscape straight from my imagination. Obviously I didn't spend to much time on it but I feel like I have learned a lot and this is some proof of that.
    Name:  canyon_sketch.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  87.3 KB

Ok, so next I'm going to start pushing forward in Loomis' book again. This will include the drawing to scale techniques I mentioned last week but never got to, among other things. Hopefully. I will also probably try to practice basic forms some more, but that will be secondary to moving forward.

Seeya next week, hopefully with a larger update!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank God it seems like my wacom is going to continue working. No problems with it at all this week.

So I'm trying to move forward in my studies. The main focus this week was working to scale/setting up units. However, I cannot yet move on from basic forms as much of that still needs a lot of work. To that end I've started practicing circles. Lots and lots of circles since, after the square, the circle seems to be the most common shape in basic forms. So I've started with just drawing circles, over and over and over. Then moved onto drawing circles in perspective. Neither of these exercises are complete and you will probably see many more the weeks to come. Really working hard on drawing these with single smooth arm movement as opposed to scratching out a little at a time with the wrist.
    Name:  circle_practice.jpg
Views: 132
Size:  212.3 KB
    Name:  circle_persp_practice.jpg
Size:  84.6 KB

This was just an experiment. The circles which make up the top and bottom where done using Photoshops shape tool. Just wanted to see how to do a shape from a more extreme angle. Obviously, this is still two-point perspective. Quick question for anyone willing to answer: At what point is the angle extreme enough to justify three-point perspective, assuming you're going for a natural look and not heavy stylization?
    Name:  cylinder_persp_guides.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  106.5 KBName:  cylinder_persp.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  19.9 KB

Now onto the scale/units work. This one's just creating shapes of equal size receding in perspective.
    Name:  equadistant_repeating.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  23.7 KB

The same thing here, only with shapes of different sizes.
    Name:  different.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  23.6 KB

This is the process by which you can determine units of equal size receding into perspective.
    Name:  scale_uniform_H.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  41.0 KB
    Name:  scale_uniform_V.jpg
Views: 124
Size:  49.5 KB

And here's one that's been divided into 10 "foot" squares. In this instance the grid recedes 40 ft.
    Name:  scale_feet.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  64.5 KB

Finally, here's some work with projection. Simple and incomplete but expect to see a lot more like this in the near future as well.
    Name:  projection_noguides.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  21.5 KB

And here it is with the scale orthographic plan and all the guide lines I used.
    Name:  projection_guides.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  108.5 KB

Still working away on this stuff each day. This will probably be the order of business for a few more weeks yet. As I get more perspective work under my belt I will probably start throwing in a few other things. Need to pursue figure drawing for one. We'll just have to see what happens. It's all working together, just so long as I'm learning.

Seeya next week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this has been an interesting week. It's been one of those weeks where you don't actually get a lot done but you learn a lot in the process. Because of this fact my update for today is a bit smaller then usual, but this week should be far more interesting as a result of the things that I have learned.

Trying out a new method for drawing things in perspective. Using this method I was able to easily (though not quickly) produce four perfect cubes in two-point perspective.
    Name:  4_cubes.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  24.2 KB

Here's some of the work that went into producing those cubes.
    Name:  4_cubes_guides.jpg
Views: 105
Size:  101.8 KB

Finally, I had planned on doing a lot of figure work this past week and started in on proportions but I just didn't get around to pursuing it further. Hopefully this week will be a little different in that regard.
    Name:  manniqin_Frame.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  104.1 KB

Well, that's all for now. Hopefully I'll have more to show next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So this week has been another week in which not a lot got done, due both to general craziness of life and a little laziness thrown in, but a lot was learned. However, details are not important. Art is what is important.

First off, more cylinders. I've learned a new and interesting technique which greatly simplifies drawing circles in perspective. This has made the creation of these cylinders much simpler. I believe that the taller one appears distorted because it is so close to the camera and, possibly, technically even outside the FOV. Basically it's so close that, if it were a block instead of a cylinder, you would only be seeing one side of it despite the fact that it is in two-point perspective. Thus the distortion.
    Name:  cylinders.jpg
Views: 129
Size:  20.6 KB

This was an experiment I did early on in the week. I was curious to see if I was actually learning anything. Virtually everything I have done so far has been very academic and has required a great deal of preparation for the simplistic things I've been producing. This was straight from my imagination with no prep whatsoever. I drew a rough sketch. Figured out more solid vanishing points (though they are too close together), and then filled in the details. Considering the fact that it is my first attempt at this I think it turned out pretty well.
    Name:  experiment.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  52.1 KB

Finally! The long coveted Sphere in Perspective. I have put it off and put it off because it's just a pain in the ass to do, and really, the contour of a sphere doesn't change no matter what angle you view it from. So why go to all the trouble? To help myself understand how the sphere works in perspective and how to add detail onto it. Though I will probably do this a few more times, ultimately I know that all I have to do is decide where my horizon like is and I'm good to go, but I still believe that understanding the way a sphere works in perspective will be a tremendous help in the future.
    Name:  spheres.jpg
Views: 126
Size:  30.0 KB

Last but not least...a (sort of) futuristic truck...thing. Partially inspired by the past weeks IDOW I decided that after the marginal success of my first experiment I wanted to try something a little more focused. Again, no planning really went into this, I was just more specific about what I was trying to achieve and how I approached it.
    Name:  truck.jpg
Views: 102
Size:  35.1 KB

Well, that's all for now. This week should be more interesting. I should have lots of time to devote to art so long as I don't give into laziness. Seeya next week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, you are so very diligent in your perspective studies, it's amazing how far you came so fast.

If you're worried about being lazy, multi-tasking can help. Like if you want to watch a movie, draw while you watch. Do gesture drawings from the characters, or costume studies, or background studies, or whatever you like. Or listen to an audiobook and draw what's happening. I find it helps me stop thinking that art is a chore if I connect it with something relaxing like that.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Clur For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Clur: Perhaps a bit too diligent. I keep telling myself that I need to diversify and work on other things. Color theory, anatomy, etc. Thanks for the advice. Every little bit helps. I enjoy listening to music while I draw, it helps a lot. I try to avoid watching something at the same time, though. I did that a few years ago and it got to the point where I could not draw unless I was watching something at the point. Took a long time to break the habit.

Well, it's been another interesting week. I didn't have as much going on as I usually do and spent the first several days drawing almost non-stop. It's to bad I got distracted mid weed or I may have had twice the amount of work this week.

First up, three spheres in perspective. Even though the other two cubes are set up to create the spheres I never got around to completing them. It will happen though, I've got plans for these spheres.
    Name:  threespheres.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  43.5 KB

This was just an experiment in plotting out and projecting a complex line in perspective. One that may be used for a landscape, which I tentatively started filling in.
    Name:  projectedlandscaoe.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  142.2 KB

An attempt, mostly successful, at combining one and two-point perspective. Because nothing is ever simple with me I decided that a simple cube shaped room was not good enough and I had to add in that strange corner. I think it worked out, but it took quite a bit of effort.
    Name:  1point2point.jpg
Size:  28.7 KB

This was practice at inclined planes in perspective as well as projecting cast shadows. Does anyone know if my shadows look right? There probably isn't enough information to tell. Next time I do something like this I'll show all my work. As for the inclined planes, the method was quite complicated, though I'm not sure how necessary it was. Thoughts?
    Name:  houseshadow1.jpg
Size:  17.9 KBName:  houseshadow2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  17.1 KB
    Name:  inclined1ptshadow.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  18.7 KBName:  inclined2ptshadow.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  21.0 KB

Finally some orthographic projection. This was a lot of fun and was a great learning exercise. If anyone is interested in things like this there's a great thread over here: Perspective Puzzles
    Name:  Orthographic Projection.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  61.2 KB

Well, that's it for this week. I think this coming week I'm going to try to take a break from serious perspective work and switch over to Anatomy and Figure drawing. There are still a few perspective things I will want to work on this week, but I'm going to try not to make it the focus as it has been so far.

Keep drawing and seeya next week!

Members who have read this thread: 1