female spirit of the forest
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: female spirit of the forest

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

female spirit of the forest

Hello,
    Here is a digital painting I started a while ago. It's been almost 5 years since my last one so here it is. Still got some stuff to do...
    but love to hear some critics about it
    Name:  meredith26.jpeg
Views: 478
Size:  65.6 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks messy, in honesty. The character is, tiny, and everything else just forms into one giant blob of green and brown. I would probably of cropped it and focused much more on her, otherwise she isn't so significant and kind of removes the value of her supposedly being the female spirit of the forest.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What self-epidemic said. The only "rule" of composition is that you should draw the viewers eye to the important things. The easiest way would be to make the figure a larger part of the entire picture. You could also make her brighter, more saturated, make everything else darker and less detailed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thx for the comments,
    I finisht it, I must say I am not completely happy with it, but there is just too much in the main base of it to correct and get right. I should have sketch it in the beginning and not keep detailling something that was allready wrong...Live and learn.

Can't seem able to post the image so here is the link:
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...h24Flatter.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that there isn't much focus on the figure in the center, despite her being the focus of the painting. She also looks too "separated" from the surrounding environment, sort of as if she'd been cut and pasted on the scene, neither her pose nor her colours blend in too well with the greens and browns of the rest of the painting. I think the cause of this is her pose- she's leaning backwards against the tree and resting her elbow on it, but it looks more like she's balancing on the base of the tree because her pose is stiff. I think looking at reference photos of people leaning on irregular surfaces could help make the pose a bit more natural.
    One last thing is that while i really like the way the surrounding trees and pond are drawn, there isn't much natural variety in the scene- if you look carefully at photos of a real pond in the middle of a forest, you can see that there is a lot of variety in colour and shapes, while here it looks a bit too... Green, i think.

I really hope this wasn't too harsh and that it was at least a bit helpful, this is my real first critique on the site!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree that the central figure doesn't fit in her environment. I would also add that the lighting seems to be off. In a forest the light comes from above and is filtered through the leaves, unless there is a clearing right nearby and the sun is at an angle. Currently there are two lighting schemes. Also there is no reflected color on or near the figure. I also can't make out on my computer what the blue around the figure is, that may need some clarity painted in. I think that your painting has some promise and would keep working on it.

Simple is not Easy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my 2 cents on how to help this image. You need to play with the light and allow it to control the viewer's eye. You're image is way too flat. It needs atmosphere. If this is supposed to be a magical world, make it look magical. If it is supposed to be a harsh world, make it look harsh.

Attached Images Attached Images  

8. The Following User Says Thank You to keith_v For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Water. Water makes image alive. Add reflections, little waves and sun gleams.
    It's my opinion, looking good though.

DEVIANTART -:|:- BLOG -:|:- SKETCHBOOK -:|:- GOOGLE+ -:|:- FACEBOOK |:::| Available for freelance: Spellsword95@gmail.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.