The Resistance -WIP
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Resistance -WIP

Hey guys its been a long time since i posted ..... just been workin on things ..... here is a line work of a new game lik story i am workin on wil put up more chracters later ... this is suppose to look lik a concept art tht u present for a game studio ..... I just wanna know the things I did right(IF there are any :p) and the things i did wrong .....Thnk u for takin ur time

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say you could knock back some of the interior paneling lines with a low opacity eraser. Right now the forms on the back view mechs torso are hard to read. Also maybe some more line weight towards the legs of mechs.

Sketchbook

Personal Site (updated more often)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,013 Times in 690 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Agreed with AgentMan, this needs a lot of variation in line weight to read well.

Also, it all feels rather.. Box-y. There aren't many interesting shapes or variety in thickness in the body which makes it seem rather stiff, almost lego-like if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Agent & Lhune i do agree the design readibility is difficult .. i was going for more of humonoid mech .... here is a coloured version i just thought value might help with the problems ..... crtiques are appreciated

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont really like the values you have now over the line work. It looks like you spent a lot of time of the line drawing and I think covering all of that up with such dark values is a step back. The texture also competes with the line work for attention. A good example of applying Value over a line drawing is Feng Zhu's design cinema 33 (mech design).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSVFil_2TV0

Maybe you've already seen it. The most usefull thing I took away from the video was using a single gradient (warm-cool) to set up your color palate. In your drawing you have a gradient that goes warm- cool- warm- cool-warm-cool. If you just use a single gradient it simplifies your values and you can go in and define forms by using the local light and darks around the form you want to render.

Another suggestion I have is to add more mechanical detail to your close-up of the jump jets.

Hope this helps

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Agent man .....Thx for reminding me abt tht video it really has a lot of gud stuff in it .... i managed to refine the top mech and applied some minor tweas to the design i hope this 1 is better thn the previous submission .... Critcs appreciated ..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am really interested in learning abt line wieght so i sketched 3 concepts using 3 diff methods .... mech 3 is the usual line wieght i giv (closer objects draker lines ... mech 2 and 1 i gav line wieght in accordance to light (meaning planes facin light are thinner and edges are draker) .... Any mistakes or any links where i can learn line wieght is appreciated .... Crits are welsome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are nice sketches of mechs you posted, I did a sketch over of #2 This is just how I would have added line weight. As far as learning line weight, There are some "guidelines" but its mostly intuition on the part of the artist as to what should be emphasized and what shouldn't. It looks like you already have a decent understanding of it.

Name:  Untitled-1.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  276.7 KB

Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to scrt_AgentMan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Agent thx for the tips here is a update .... still workin on more mech concepts .. crits appreciated

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.