Beorn coming back from a hunt
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Beorn coming back from a hunt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Beorn coming back from a hunt

Hello everyone, hoping I can get some crit on this before I can move forward. This is Beorn, from the Hobbit, in an off-screen scene where he's going home at dawn after some goblin hunting. I'm mostly worried about his pose and the overall composition before I move forward. I might decide to give him some clothes and accessories later on...or not.
    Any crit is greatly appreciated!

Name:  BeornFinal1.jpg
Views: 1713
Size:  265.2 KB

"I haven't failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
    http://jonathanguziart.blogspot.com/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,656 Times in 1,619 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The crop is pretty awkward, and there's problems with the forms. More or less looking at him gives me a feeling that I'm not looking upwards at a real person, but a cardboard cutout of that person, you know? It doesn't look like some of the muscles (like the hips and shoulders) and head forms really continue to the other side of him or follow the perspective and his hair doesn't seem to react to the volume of his chest muscles. (I do like his face otherwise, as wel las the colourscheme.)
    Also I'm bit confused what you were intending with the pose? Is he twisting his upper body, or is he about to swing his axe arm? The latter would make more sense if he's walking ,but we don't see that, leading to the he seems to be standing so it's bit confusing.
    In the same manner I don't see why he's holding his axe with a limp wrist (overall the whole hand/arm anatomy is iffy) and why he's holding the orc head with his fingertips like it's icky or he just picked it up. if he's walking back and he's been holding it for some time the a good grab on it would make more sense and even outside that context would give a more strong impression of him.

Personally I'd extend the canvas so that we could see what he's doing and what his size is, as like that we looks like he's a giant (like, I know he's supposed to be large, but currently he's more like as tall as a tree) and if you're worried about the issue of him being naked, change the lighting (currently he seem to be lit from the front) so that a convenient shadow falls on his junk from his axe or a tree or something like that.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks TinyBird, totally agree with everything you said. Perhaps rethink this into a different pose and narrative? It's difficult for me to get good reference for these poses, but I'm trying. Is this composition working any better?
    Name:  Beorn_choke.gif
Views: 411
Size:  207.7 KB

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two quick things I take note of- your silouhette on the goblin in the second one is weak make him dangle farther out do something else with the hand not gripping the wrist.

The thing that irks me the most is if you are going for a true bjorn your concept is off. Big time in the second one. The first one you were closer but still off.

I would recommend re-reading the book because it is fantastic but if you dont want to look here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beorn Beorn

Major notes, Beorn is not fat, Beorn is not bald, your second Beorn looks to angry more like a biker then the quite untrusting recluse from the hobbit, The axe in the books is merely a wood Axe, he is not noted for using it to kill goblins, mainly because he has the ability to change into a bear at will, bears are signifcantly better at killing things than axes, on that note at night he is said to be in bear form so having him strangle the goblin at night in human form doesnt make sense.

The actor who will play Beorn in the new hobbit movie is Mikael Persbrandt http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0675409/ just something you might want to reference.

Hope this helps

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Being a pretty devout Tolkien fan, I am very aware of Beorn and his character, as well as the actor playing him in the upcoming movie. I have to disagree with you on some points though. Tolkien is not known for his detailed description of characters, and in my opinion that gives a pretty open license to make them look however anyone wishes to interpret them. I'm pretty sure Radagast the Brown wasn't described as having a funny hat and a bunny sled, but it looks like that's how he is going to be depicted in the movie (I'm still eagerly excited to see the movie!). As far as him choking the goblin, he is described as having an intense hatred of goblins, so couldn't it make sense for him to choke one in a moment of rage? And if I drew him as a bear...he would be a bear. I agree with you though that the baldness doesn't suit him and the silhouette of the goblin is very weak. Thank you for your comment!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Step in the right direction, or no? I've been sketching out a bunch of silhouettes for this and that pose is really killing me. I've tried taking reference of myself, but short of getting a noose....it's not looking quite right. Took out the axe, added hair.
Views: 620
Size:  195.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    progress
Views: 340
Size:  263.0 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.