Applying to school; Could I get a portfolio review please?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Applying to school; Could I get a portfolio review please?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Applying to school; Could I get a portfolio review please?

Hey CA, long time fan, first time poster..

My name's Matt Kopeck, I'm 27, and I just got out of the Navy. I've always drawn since I was little, but about a year and a half ago is when I really started to study and practice every day.

I'm applying to around 10 schools for Fall 2013, particularly SVA and Ringling are the ones I like most, but I was hoping I could get some feedback on my chances, strengths, weaknesses, et cetera.. My goal as of now is to get into the illustration program.

I've taken a few studio classes this last year at a community college in order to prep myself for art school.

Thanks in advance! - mk

Name:  paintings grouped 1.jpg
Views: 500
Size:  406.6 KBName:  studies 1.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  304.6 KBName:  studies 2.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  394.3 KBName:  studies 3.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  337.9 KBName:  studies 4.jpg
Views: 391
Size:  273.4 KBName:  studies 5.jpg
Views: 400
Size:  360.2 KBName:  studies 6.jpg
Views: 395
Size:  377.9 KBName:  studies 7.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  402.1 KBName:  studies 8.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  377.5 KBName:  studies 9.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  352.2 KBName:  studies 10.jpg
Views: 378
Size:  399.6 KBName:  watercolors grouped 1.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  334.5 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, you need to keep practicing. Your figure drawing is weak, the proportions are off, also your value work also needs to improve. Your watercolors are not bad, you just need to refine the style. basically that's all I can think of right now.
    So keep practicing your figure drawing (a quick tip on figure drawing: when drawing someone don't try to copy the person exactly as it is. Try to approach likeness by making the drawing and proportions believable).
    Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have some very strong pieces, but several which I would advise you don't show. Remember, what you show the school is a total showcasing of your ability, and "you are only as strong as your weakest piece".
    As chil above me said, watch your figure proportions. Try to make it initially very gestural, just try to catch the overall character of your model, then build from there. keep it fluid, and they should feel more lifelike, and often be more accurate. draw what you see, not what you think.
    your color work, is mostly very good, making it odd that much of your value work needs as much work as it does. perhaps remembering color are just shades of light might help? Most people work the other way, But IMO your color is better than your value so maybe you'll find that helpful advice.
    Also in regards to schools- I would only know about Ringling as I've been a regular on its hopeful threads (this should be my year!), and I would only know mostly about its CA and GAD programs portfolios. From what I understand, they as well as many other schools are mostly concerned with observation drawings. they want to see that you can draw what you see- not from a photograph. I know Ringling CA put a lot of emphasis on their CA application Figure drawings; but I'm not sure about their illustration needs. I'd advise checking their website, as well as the other schools you are interested in. most should tell you what they are looking for.
    Id also advise you add more to your studies you you plan to include them. now they seem to be little more than contour drawings, and I'm not sure If they will set you out from a crowd. For instance, I like your rendered hands, yet your sketchbook hands, though good for a study, I personally wouldn't include in my portfolio.

I hope I've been of some help.
    thank you for sharing your work. Maybe see you in school some day!

Fudge this AWESOME place!!!

My SKETCHBOOK: please critique! i can take it!

To limit one's maximum knowledge is to maximize one's limits.

Sanity is wasted on the boring.

Members who have read this thread: 1