Sketchbook: Just starting out

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Just starting out

Hi everyone just thought I would introduce myself my name Is Leo Nguyen I used to draw a lot when I was younger but have stopped for more than a decade, I am 22 years old now and am starting to draw again hopefully with a lot of practice patience and effort I can become a professional one day. I welcome all suggestions, advice, recommendations and critiques as I am here to learn and hopefully make some friends.

I currently have no formal training and am mostly self taught the closest thing I have to formal training is a talented friend who works in comics that gives me advice from time to time which is super awesome, most of the time I draw from reference currently as I cannot compose images on my own when I attempt to draw from my mind currently they don't come all that nice!

I'm interested in both traditional and digital art, ideally I would love to learn how to get really good with pencils then scan and colour my work inside Adobe Photoshop + Corel Painter but would also love to learn how to draw in those programs as well.

If you guys could recommend anything to help me improve such as books tutorials or tips that would be awesome! I would like to learn how to do Illustrations & comics! I will upload the stuff I've drawn in the last three days in this post

Name:  580834_118578934963680_2081078071_n.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  70.6 KB

Random stuff in my sketch book

Name:  598936_112899402198300_267155598_n.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  58.8 KB

Was watching black dynamite and thought I would pause and draw the scene

Name:  247749_116696935151880_1121249268_n.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  60.2 KB

My attempt to draw a girl referenced a photo

Name:  60327_120058618149045_1989045644_n.jpg
Views: 553
Size:  67.5 KB

I'm a huge batman fan and this is a drawing referenced from one of the "Dark Knight Rises" posters

I'll try to upload something once a day thanks for taking time to have a look!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,Leo and welcome to CA! You seem to have the same goals as I do and the same problems too.I'm still having trouble working from imagination but since I started figure drawing from Posemaniacs and Pixelovely,I've been able to draw poses a lot better so I would advise you to do the same,every freakin' day!If you have brothers and sisters,ask them to pose for you 10-20 minutes each day or your mom,dad,friends,whatever.

Get Atlas of human anatomy for the artist by Stephen Rogers Peck and start studying from it.I started out with Keys to drawing by Bert Dodson and stopped at about half way due to other distractions but the book is a solid introduction to the basics and you'll learn some good stuff from it.

Set goals for each day or week but don't push yourself too hard,especially if you're just starting out and always find something to appreciate from a drawing you did,even if it turned out bad,there has to be a tiny thing you liked.

Example: "This drawing is decent but I think I can do better.I still like the way I drew the face/hands/hair/shoes,etc."

That way you'll be able to progress without being to hard on yourself as most people do and eventually they quit due to lack of discipline and frustration.You're either in for the long run or you quit like the ones who aren't up for it.

Good luck and keep posting!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Kriss I love the Bruce Timm Two Face profile picture I already googled and book marked those two web pages and will head out today to purchase those books thanks for the reply will definitely be posting more regularly when I fix my sleeping pattern thanks again for the advice!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for me the best way to get good at drawing figures is firsty to get the know the proportions, theres simple thinks like the end on the hand will reach the middle of the thing, the humus in the arm (shoulder to elbow) is as wide as the chest cage. then theres just mapping out those guidelines and youll already be on you way, you just need to put in a lot of life drawing etc.

But drawing people will always be hard as you can instantly tell if something no quite right where as drawing animals, as we dont see them often you can get away with a little more. if your going to go into digital i suggest flipping your image horizontally every so often as it helps you pick up on the proportions that you might have missed. alternatively you can do this on to layout paper to tracing paper, grease proof is a cheap alternative just make sure you dont draw on the shiny side

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Charlotte thanks for the tip I'll start using my light box on the opposite side of my drawings to see if I can spot errors in the symmetry / proportions, as for proportions I'm not sure how to fix that just yet currently I just have a look if things seem "right" maybe I should start hitting those anatomy books as soon as possible.

I guess when I draw something I tend to look at it and see if I can break it down not just copy it line for line I'm currently confused where I should be starting, Kriss suggested for me to get two books they do look promising as I need to build a stronger foundation.

I currently struggle by not being able to compose stuff from my head and have to use reference I know that's not a bad thing but currently what I've been doing to practice is think of something I like i.e "Batman" "Food" google it and draw it free hand and look at girls and guys in books and draw them.

If you or anyone have some suggestions or advice please let me know I'm eager to start learning and improving thanks once again for the tip!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://artists.pixelovely.com/practi...igure-drawing/

heres a link to a life drawing website they set you class's where you have 5mins to 15mins to draw the character this will help in you getting a likeness. this is some where to start as trying to draw full on detailed images if your starting out, for me at least was annoying as they never look the same. But if you do this exercise once a week your being exposed to different bodies and different styles as the 5 mins will be loose and abstract where as the 15min will have tone to them.

plus it stops you from over thing etc as this can keep you down. then once your used to that you can start adding more detail etc as once your down with the shape of a human you can then transfer those skills to other drawings. and like they said practice make perfect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Leo, looks like we are in a similar stage with our drawing and age funny enough. I find posemaniacs really useful, which has already been mentioned. I also try and do a lot of stuff from Andrew Loomis' books, particularly "Figure Drawing." I also try and go to life drawing when I can, luckily we are doing at Uni at the moment. Can't give you any more help than that, as I am still a beginner as well. But I have subscribed to your sketchbook and look forward to seeing your progress.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Charlotte I'll give it a try after when I wake up are there any particular settings I should be using for that awesome website? "Standard or Class Mode" "What time interval?" "How long a class?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Adam I'm eager to start taking it more seriously once I get my sleeping pattern fixed ^^ I start learning "Information Technology" next February and have a lot of spare time in between so better take full advantage of that free time while I can, I'll be sure to pick up that Andrew Loomis book as well thanks again!

Last edited by Leo Nguyen; October 29th, 2012 at 04:30 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    basic if you pick a class mode they have the timed intervals already for you so you dont need to work anything out and i think the whole class is set for 1 hour. for it i would start off with ink, charchole, chalk and graphite pencils. especially something that can leave a mark fast so stay away from Biro etc

but standard is where you can pick the next image when your ready but id start off with class mode first as it keeps you on your toes, theres also an animals section on there so you dont have to do humans if you want.

just remember lots of loose paper as a sketch book can slow you down

12. The Following User Says Thank You to charlottefranks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't reproduce the Two Face made by Bruce Timm,I just didn't know what photo to add to my avatar.I guess I should change it with something I actually drew.

What I hate about Pixelovely is that after a few sessions,the photos start to repeat.They don't have a big selection of models there but I guess it's better than nothing.
    On Posemaniacs,the 3D models tend to be confusing at times,depending on their poses but you get used to it after a couple of days.

There are lots of books you should get.Sadly,you need quite the budget to buy all of them.
    I'll be getting 5 books soon enough and once I study a bit from them,I'll come back with feedback for you.Some books can be found online as they are not under copyright anymore,you just have to look for them.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any books you can list? I'm going to be heading to the city's big book shop tomorrow I saved up a sizeable amount for books.

Last edited by Leo Nguyen; October 29th, 2012 at 06:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Kriss thanks again for being a big help I'll be sure to grab those books, turns out I already had keys to drawing as you said it helps build a strong foundation and fundamentals I better get started on studying it

as always if anybody can give out some advise, tips, recommendations of tutorials techniques or books I'm always looking forward to it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Leo Nguyen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man welcome aboard. Like you i stopped drawing for a long time (12 years) then the bug hit me then I discovered this place and there is now no going back. Like you when I started back it was easier to start copying just get into the rhythm of drawing plus it made sense to draw the type of things I used to enjoy when i was younger before I stopped.

I would say the best way to learn is to draw from life but use photo ref too to draw other thins your interested in and may not have access to, cars, buildings r animals ect, Not everything will you have access to but if you can draw something from life then do. Think about breaking object down into simple shapes shape try and work on structure and proportion. Be academic in your approach ie do the studies but do the fun stuff too, and most of all draw every day. Just keep drawing and you'll see improvements and that will drive you on. There is so much info on here and so many peoples work to look at and learn from. Post your work leave other people feedback and you will get feedback on yours which you can learn from . Although you may not be able to or want to go to art school you can still do it as long as you access the online resources and keep posting your work, and dont stop drawing.

Best of luck mr look forward to seeing you improve

19. The Following User Says Thank You to ja1307 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome!Glad I could help in any way.I'm not saying you should get all of those books since some of them are for my own personal interest,like the Chuck Jones ones but the rest are pretty solid if you ask me.Don't forget about tools too but right now just stick to pencils.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Currently I'm using my 7 year old trusty blue Staedtler mechanical lead holder with 2H Mitsubishi graphite lead from when I was younger, I managed to somehow save up for a Cintiq 21UX a few years ago that's on my desk (three years of penny pinching goes a long way!) ^^ I'm trying to build strong pencil skills and mainly use software for clean up and colours might try to draw digitally later though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First Attempt at drawing a real person hope you guys can tell who it is (still taking photos as my scanner has no room in my room yet unfortunately), I have issues with drawing hair and trying to get the realism down =/
    Name:  544754_122297687925138_1524662916_n.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  77.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A friend suggested to me to draw from life. I'm not quite sure if this counts but I will be drawing mostly from photos and movies from now onwards but preferably objects in front of me.

He is right I learn a lot more faster but everything is harder which is quite a fun but very challenging.

Name:  463631_129573560530884_1627614148_o.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  246.5 KB

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.