Character placement
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Character placement

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Character placement

Got problem with character placement any comments pliz

also overall critique, composition, anatomy etc etc.

ty

Name:  karaktÄRERNA_frågetecken.jpg
Views: 375
Size:  294.2 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

TinyBird is offline Why you gotta be an angry burd Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,654 Times in 1,618 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Is the front dude supposed to be hiding behind one of the wall rails? If yes, he really wouldn't fit there and from the pose you've drawn he would be in plain sight, and if not, then his pose is the most awkward ever with his other foot bending backwards.
    Take a camera and shoot a pose like that, it will help a lot with this.

"I eat comics and poop stylization"
    Comic!
    Sketchbook (Critiques, no compliments please.)
    Tumblr
    Website
    Livejournal
    DeviantArt

3. The Following User Says Thank You to TinyBird For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did you do any thumbs for this? Right now we are so far removed from the action. No feeling of tension or urgency.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hexokinase For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed, I also feel the characters are absolutely lost within the image itself. This most
    likely also relates to what Hex said. Remember that a picture like this can be compared
    to a movie camera. Directors use framing to capture an intense moment. Right now I kind
    of feel like this is a painting of a ceiling with incidental characters nearby.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Star Eater For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  paintover1.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  62.2 KB

I hope you don't mind, I painted over your image a little to illustrate my points. You have a good skeleton of a scene started here, but it needs a lot of help. I don't suggest just drawing what I did, but hopefully it will help you decide what to do next. I suspect the use of Google Sketchup, which is just fine, but the perspective doesn't look right on the left side of the hall. Even if it's mathematically correct, if it looks wrong, it is wrong.

Couple of different problems that need to be solve here. I know this is a work in progress, but you should really plan this stuff out at the beginning, even if it ends up being changed.

Composition: A good rule of thumb, "Put the important thing in front." Even if it's supposed to be showcasing the environment, figure out how to put something right up front against the camera. Another good rule to follow, though this is mainly for comic books, "Action goes from left to right". Unless you have a great reason for it, your main focus should probably be in the front left of the picture plain. There are lots of reasons not to do this, but it's a good place to start when designing an image.

Contrast: There is not enough difference in lighting from the foreground to the background. The viewer's eye needs to be sheep dogged into going from one place to another, and all of those places are determined by contrast and composition.

Sense of place: Before you even start drawing, think about your setting. What does it smell like? What is the temperature? How can the character be interacting with the environment? And most importantly, how can you cue NON-visual sensations and emotional responses through your image. Think about how the scene in STAR WARS would have been if when Obi Wan was turning off the tractor beam, it was in a medium-sized, well-lit room without a pit. If you are drawing a scene about someone sneaking, make it look like he might have some trouble accomplishing his goal. Communicate some peril and place with your image.

Sense of story: When you are planning your image, figure out how to imply what came before it, and what is about to happen. Think about guys like Norman Rockwell or Gary Larson or Robert Fawcett or any number of your favorite illustrators. The best images are rarely about only THAT moment in time, it's about implanting a quick beginning middle and end into the brain of the viewer with a single image.

It's NEVER EARLY ENOUGH to try to put these elements into a painting. Thumbnails can help, but also, starting rougher can help too.

You are wise to make use of this forum. Keep practicing, and keep getting feedback. It really feels awful to read harsh things about your art, but it's the best way to learn. Keep putting your self in the line of fire, apply the criticism that makes sense to you, and bring your work to a finished state, and you'll be amazing at your progress! Keep it up, the hardest part of doing stuff is actually doing it, and you're already a step ahead of people who just don't draw.
    Good luck!

It is really simple not to be rude.

"There's only one rule that I know of, babies—God damn it, you've got to be kind.”
    ― Kurt Vonnegut, God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater

www.ktino.com

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to kylelatino For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kylelatino is a jerk for posting at the same time as me and getting his in first listen to him ignore me if you want.

I dont want to seem rude but right off the bat I have no idea what is going on. Bring the whole thing in, do thumbnails give us more background the background is very flat and dry and i realize this may just be rough but give us something interesting to look at. read http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/C...ition_tutorial

All of their poses are stale, even the guards are just meh. Think in silhouettes, what position would make them interesting to look at.

And as tinybird said that is the weirdest leg position. I am staring at his crotch and it looks like he is looking away in disgust from the hole he is shoving his fist into.

Things i pointed out that kylelatino did:
    See how your character looks more interesting? It is partially because the silhouette is good!
    Composition wise he has more lines pointing directly at the main charcer the ceiling bars, the laser beams they all circle around and back to him
    I am not looking at his penis, because the legs are well placed

Last edited by Marcky Marq; October 29th, 2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Kylelatino
    A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcky Marq View Post
    I am staring at his crotch and it looks like he is looking away in disgust from the hole he is shoving his fist into.
    That sentence just sounds dirty.

Actually, I like it so much, I'm going to make it my sig for a while.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Eater View Post
    That sentence just sounds dirty.

Actually, I like it so much, I'm going to make it my sig for a while.
    I am honored.

A Cartoonist is just a lazy Animator.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the respons and help.

will post the final version when it's done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I was just going to say you should move the guy to the left side and the 2 ppl in the back forward by a door or two. Also, if the floor is designed to be walked on, it will always be flat, without the floorbeams.

"..now, to unleash screaming temporal doom.."

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.