concept art related major
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: concept art related major

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

concept art related major

i have been searching ...
    i found out the closest thing to what i have in my mind is " concept art for animation and games " major , but afew colleges have that major and all of them are expensive . i thought maybe there are other majors who are close to what i have in mind but i am not able to find something related .
    so what majors are close to " concept art for animation and games " so i could study and become better at concept art - storyboard and such? if you could introduce me some colleges with that majors that would be also grate .

On And On , I Am Cursed To Live Cursed With Life Until I Have Done What Done What Must Be Done . . . I Am The Man Who Would Not Die .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    An Illustration major would cover everything you'd really need to know for doing concept art - i.e., how to draw and paint and tell a story/convey an idea.

If you want to actually animate (instead of just doing the concept art for animation,) then an animation major is what you want.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Depends on what type of "concept art" most interests you? If its figure, costume, animation (Iain McCaig) then illustration major is fine - with a heavy dose of figure (which would be part of it). If its environments/architecture then more of a focus on landscape, architectural rendering, matte painting, etc. - though you won't really find much of a major in those areas. If you're interest is more in vehicles/transportation, hardware, weapons, etc. then industrial design would be best.

Industrial design is actually an excellent, and well established major in many good schools, and probably best suited to building a foundation for being a concept artist. It teaches you the basics and fundamentals along with good design theory, techniques, processes and media that are common tools for concept artists. You can expand on those into whatever subjects interest you.

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    Depends on what type of "concept art" most interests you? If its figure, costume, animation (Iain McCaig) then illustration major is fine - with a heavy dose of figure (which would be part of it). If its environments/architecture then more of a focus on landscape, architectural rendering, matte painting, etc. - though you won't really find much of a major in those areas. If you're interest is more in vehicles/transportation, hardware, weapons, etc. then industrial design would be best.

Industrial design is actually an excellent, and well established major in many good schools, and probably best suited to building a foundation for being a concept artist. It teaches you the basics and fundamentals along with good design theory, techniques, processes and media that are common tools for concept artists. You can expand on those into whatever subjects interest you.
    I was an industrial design major and I loved it!
    I think something worth noting for anyone that goes for that major, though, is that they (depending on the school) give you a HUGE range of tools to work with. You may not enjoy all of those tools, but they are important nonetheless.

I remember being in a class called "Environmental design" that mainly dealt with installations, fountains, hedge mazes, center courts in malls, etc. Basically anywhere that a person has to walk up to and be surrounded by an environment that has design elements applied to it. I found the class to be EXCEPTIONALLY boring at the time. All I wanted to do was draw monsters and shit.

But now it's amazing how much of that class I use in video games. So...never write off a class because it doesn't apply to your direct interest.
    That'll happen in any art major, I know, but still. I can already see the OP seemingly getting pretty fine-tuned with their interests.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The OP needs to do some self portraits like he promised and draw more from actual life first. No good chasing dreams if you don't want to put the work in first.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.