I am looking for a specific book on anatomy
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: I am looking for a specific book on anatomy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking I am looking for a specific book on anatomy

I have been drawing the human figure long enough that I can draw it well enough to be near realistic and people have even me complimented on my anatomy drawings. But as an artist I am still never happy. My problem is that I do not have a good basic construction for drawing the head and figure. When drawing the human figure from life or imagination I usually start making random marks over the entire page until the figure starts taking shape. But this causes problems; such as I never truly develop a style, make simple mistakes, still have trouble placing features on the face, drawing the form in complex poses can be troublesome, and never I can truly draw a figure without looking at reference.

I am wanting a book that will give me good basis for figure drawing without a model reference.

I already have books from these artist
    Andrew Loomis
    Burne Hogarth
    Jack Hamm
    George Bridgeman

thank you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

dpaint is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,878 Times in 2,354 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Jack Faragasso http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Draw.../dp/0966711300 The best book on the Reilly method. Teaches the building blocks for planar construction a little dense but worth it if you stick with it and maybe augment it with some videos from Glen Orbik or other Reilly guys like Em Gist or Ron Lemen

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by dpaint View Post
    Jack Faragasso http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Draw.../dp/0966711300 The best book on the Reilly method. Teaches the building blocks for planar construction a little dense but worth it if you stick with it and maybe augment it with some videos from Glen Orbik or other Reilly guys like Em Gist or Ron Lemen
    Thanks for the post. I will look into the book that you mentioned, and Glen Orbik has some seriously cool videos.

JeffX99 is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,896 Times in 2,544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    At some point you're going to need to start working from life - the sooner the better. All those guys (well, not sure about Hogarth) tell you straight up that is the only real way to learn how to draw the figure. From your post it sounds like you don't much...on the one hand you say you draw near realistic but then say you have trouble with many of the basics.

In addition to dpaint's recommendations I would recommend William Maughan's "The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head".

What would Caravaggio do?

Portfolio
    Plein Air
    Digital
    Still Life
    Sight Measuring
    Fundamentals

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffX99 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffX99 View Post
    At some point you're going to need to start working from life - the sooner the better. All those guys (well, not sure about Hogarth) tell you straight up that is the only real way to learn how to draw the figure. From your post it sounds like you don't much...on the one hand you say you draw near realistic but then say you have trouble with many of the basics.

In addition to dpaint's recommendations I would recommend William Maughan's "The Artist's Complete Guide to Drawing the Head".
    Here is some of my portraits that I have submitted in the last year, though i do not have any figures posted at the moment.
    http://www.bluecanvas.com/art-detail/403837
    http://www.bluecanvas.com/art-detail/408034
    Obviously I have a LOT to work on.

Thank you for your reply and book recommendation. However I actually happen to have that book and it is one of my favorites. And the tutorials in that book is a lot like my method for creating the human figure; loose and uncontrolled. I am wanting a more routine method for drawing the head and figure.

See how Simone Bianchi has some of his basic construction left in his sketch http://simonebianchi.deviantart.com/...1824287&qo=193

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.